No one is iliegal

Old Nov 26th 2014, 12:59 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No one is iliegal

Originally Posted by Shard
I think we are moving toward that ideal of a world without borders. Maybe in another century it will happen. Already there are plenty of opportunities for people to study work and retire elsewhere.
I think it will actually get worse, after all it's been getting worse. Shortages of water, higher food prices, higher levels of population, etc. will lead to increasingly harsh border controls as countries that have stuff try and stop people coming from countries that don't.

You might be able to move more freely within certain blocs of allied countries, but globally it's not going to happen.

The real question is going to be who will actually be the have and have not areas of the world, for example you could say Afghanistan would be a have not, but I seriously doubt it because they have huge mineral wealth. And some of the currently well-off oil & gas producing nations may well become less important as oil becomes less important. In the short-term there will be increasing demand for oil but in the long-term, obviously power is going to have to come from elsewhere.

At the moment though you've got Switzerland voting to leave Schengen and UKIP wanting the UK to leave the EU, etc. mainly for immigration reasons so it's not less controls ahead, it's more.

This is why I always say on here if you live in country X you should become a citizen of country X if you can, because you never know what the law might be a few years from now. After 9/11 in the US, there was an enormous number of naturalization applications made, for that very reason.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

The world is getting more and more globalized, almost to the extent of the era before 1914. Let us hope that a new 1914-18 doesn't happen in our lifetimes.

To get an idea of what the world was like before 1914, here are Stefan Zweig and John Maynard Keynes - their lives straddled WWI:

Before 1914, the earth had belonged to all," recalled the Austrian-Jewish writer Stefan Zweig in his autobiography. "People went where they wished and stayed as long as they pleased. There were no permits, no visas, and it always gives me pleasure to astonish the young by telling them that before 1914 I travelled from Europe to India and America without a passport and without ever having seen one."
“The inhabitant of London,” Keynes wrote, “could order by telephone, sipping his morning tea in the bed, the various products of the whole earth, in such quantity as he might see fit, and reasonably expect their early delivery upon his doorstep … he could secure forthwith, if he wished, cheap and comfortable means of transit to any country or climate without passport or other formality.
“The projects and politics of militarism and imperialism, of racial and cultural rivalries, of monopolies, restrictions and exclusion, which were to play the serpent to this paradise, were little more than amusements of his daily newspaper, and appeared to exercise almost no influence at all on the ordinary course of social and economic life, the internationalisation of which was nearly complete in practice.”
Old Nov 26th 2014, 1:55 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
The world is getting more and more globalized, almost to the extent of the era before 1914. Let us hope that a new 1914-18 doesn't happen in our lifetimes.

To get an idea of what the world was like before 1914, here are Stefan Zweig and John Maynard Keynes - their lives straddled WWI:
Very interesting. So no citizenship documentation prior to WW1? I suppose wealth formed a natural barrier to international mobility, and the difference today is that even those of minimum wealth can live elsewhere.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons the Founding Fathers were so keen on American independence apparently is because being out in the colonies, they couldn't get anyone to pay attention to their orders for household items. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson for example spent years nagging people in London to send things over and they got ripped off on more than one occasion.

You see, if IKEA had been around back then, the US might still be part of the British Commonwealth.

I think what Keynes is describing is a very brief moment in world history that only lasted a few decades, what ended it was people becoming increasingly mobile.

Before 1914, the earth had belonged to all," recalled the Austrian-Jewish writer Stefan Zweig in his autobiography. "People went where they wished and stayed as long as they pleased. There were no permits, no visas, and it always gives me pleasure to astonish the young by telling them that before 1914 I travelled from Europe to India and America without a passport and without ever having seen one."
And by "all" he means white people, bear in mind.

Have a read of Chae Chan Ping v. U.S. which is the basis of modern US immigration law.

Effectively, the US can treat aliens however it wants at the US border and the US congress has a sovereign plenary power to enact whatever laws to control immigration it pleases, regardless of any treaty.

Therefore, the Chinese Exclusion Act was constitutional and Mr. Chae Chan Ping's re-entry permit was null and void.

Last edited by Steve_; Nov 26th 2014 at 8:06 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 12:50 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
What Calgary? No they tried apparently and then decided they had to go to Leeds. I asked my alderman many times why, they just wouldn't say why in any detail, I got the impression they just wanted to go to Leeds and have the city pay for a trip abroad. It just seemed bizarre to me to go to Leeds. Someone on here did have an explanation as to why they needed them so badly, I forget why but I still can't understand why they couldn't go to Chicago and hire them.
Because a bus/train driver in Chicago gets ~$36 (20 quid) per hour salary.

I very much doubt the bloke in Leeds is getting anything close to 20 quid an hour.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 4:02 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Given that it was 2008 and there were loads of Americans desperate for jobs, and moreover even the city thought the jobs might end up being temporary, I don't think that pay would have been a major issue. I have no idea what the city of Calgary pays but it must be reasonably competitive with the US, the average salary is.