British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   No one is iliegal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/no-one-iliegal-841291/)

magnumpi Aug 19th 2014 11:35 am

No one is iliegal

no one is illegal - toronto | STATUS FOR ALL!! ACCESS WITHOUT FEAR!!

As far as this group is concerned all this getting visas and work permits is not required !!!

They are now saying that CIC are racial profiling to catch illegal workers Lol

"Quote"
August 14th: Canada Border Services Agency, with the support of Ontario Provincial Police and Ontario Ministry of Transportation pulled over vehicles of people of colour and forced them to hand over their IDs. As this is an area where a large number of undocumented day-labourers get picked up to go to work, this was a targeted fishing expedition. Racialized men that were found to not have full immigration status where detained and taken to the Toronto Immigration Holding Centre. (At Jane and Wilson/Finch)

Radio says 5 of the above who were caught working and living illegally will be flying home today.

Now that's the best way to deal with illegal immigrants IMO

macadian Aug 19th 2014 2:25 pm

Re: No one is iliegal

Cry me a river...

SchnookoLoly Aug 19th 2014 2:33 pm

I didn't think they were pulling people over based on race, they were simply doing spot checks, the same as like when you see RIDE Program and whatnot. You go through the check, you get checked, either you are let go or you are detailed.

They're just pissed that they got caught.

Oakvillian Aug 19th 2014 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 11374351)
I didn't think they were pulling people over based on race, they were simply doing spot checks, the same as like when you see RIDE Program and whatnot. You go through the check, you get checked, either you are let go or you are detailed.

They're just pissed that they got caught.

There seems to be a little more to it than that, though.
  • From what I heard on the radio news yesterday, this was a "joint operation" between CBSA, OPP and ministry of transportation. That, in itself, is unusual.
  • It was conducted in an area of Toronto that is known to have a high immigrant population, a large number of whom are day-labourers. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that.
  • The overwhelming majority of those stopped were of a particular ethnic background. That's racial profiling, which is not allowed.
  • There seems to be some concern that the traffic-stop exercise was a transparent excuse to ask for ID, rather than a genuine road safety program. That is not allowed.
  • Passengers in some vehicles were asked to produce ID, which they are not obliged to do at a traffic stop. That is questionable at best.
I'm not surprised this has stirred up controversy. It will presumably also make it even more difficult in future for police to gain the trust of the public when they need their help to solve crimes in this neighbourhood. That is not helpful at all.

Steveh27wp Aug 19th 2014 3:08 pm

I heard this on the radio yesterday. As most of us on this forum have had to endure the difficult process of being here legally, it is difficult to express any empathy for those who are here illegally. IMO, nobody who is here illegally has any rights and should be returned from whence they came!

Steve

SchnookoLoly Aug 19th 2014 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11374400)
  • From what I heard on the radio news yesterday, this was a "joint operation" between CBSA, OPP and ministry of transportation. That, in itself, is unusual.
  • It was conducted in an area of Toronto that is known to have a high immigrant population, a large number of whom are day-labourers. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that.
  • The overwhelming majority of those stopped were of a particular ethnic background. That's racial profiling, which is not allowed.
  • There seems to be some concern that the traffic-stop exercise was a transparent excuse to ask for ID, rather than a genuine road safety program. That is not allowed.
  • Passengers in some vehicles were asked to produce ID, which they are not obliged to do at a traffic stop. That is questionable at best.
I'm not surprised this has stirred up controversy. It will presumably also make it even more difficult in future for police to gain the trust of the public when they need their help to solve crimes in this neighbourhood. That is not helpful at all.

I hadn't realised all the details of it... thanks for pointing out. I agree it seems quite a grey area.

Tirytory Aug 19th 2014 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11374400)

:goodpost: nothing is ever black or white..

dbd33 Aug 19th 2014 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp (Post 11374403)
I heard this on the radio yesterday. As most of us on this forum have had to endure the difficult process of being here legally, it is difficult to express any empathy for those who are here illegally. IMO, nobody who is here illegally has any rights and should be returned from whence they came!

Steve

My experience with undocumented workers in Toronto is that having been returned whence they came, they get the next plane back again. It doesn't seem a particularly worthwhile exercise to throw out someone who is working and not commiting an offence beyond being here.

magnumpi Aug 19th 2014 3:17 pm

So why did they not just say it was a illegal alien crack down/blitz.

It's no different than racially profiling white cottage goers on a Friday eve on Highway 400 using cell phones ??? They say they are having a crack down over the radio every bank holiday.

MarkG Aug 19th 2014 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11374411)
My experience with undocumented workers in Toronto is that having been returned whence they came, they get the next plane back again.

So, how do they get back into the country on a plane, when they're in the system as previously being deported?

plasticcanuck Aug 19th 2014 3:43 pm

I would suggest that in a neighbourhood harbouring illegal immigrants, co-operation with the police would not be the greatest for fear of discovery and deportation of themselves or neighbours/friends.

magnumpi Aug 19th 2014 3:53 pm

And I would suggest that the best use of the police and Gov budget would be to target areas where illegal immigrant workers are known to operate, why waste money sending cops and Immigration to Aurora or Richmond Hill car share parking lots, just to say they not being racists ?

Steveh27wp Aug 19th 2014 4:01 pm

These people are here illegally and they know it! I'm not convinced that it matters how they were caught. The simple fact is that thousands of people are employed here in Canada to ensure that those of us who are here legally are protected and those of us who should not be here are prevented from being here.

Oakvillian Aug 19th 2014 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11374443)

I would suggest that in a neighbourhood harbouring illegal immigrants, co-operation with the police would not be the greatest for fear of discovery and deportation of themselves or neighbours/friends.

I'm not sure it's the neighbourhood that "harbours" illegal immigrants (or "undocumented workers" as they have been described by advocates). The neighbourhood is where they happen to live. An area of Toronto (immediately northeast of the 400/401 junction) that has a very high proportion of socially disadvantaged recent immigrants, a high unemployment rate, high crime rates and all the deprivation that brings. Jane/Wilson also has a significant concentration of Central and South American immigrants, as well as many from Africa (notably Ghanaians).

The Toronto city police, who are responsible for community policing in North York, have actually done a reasonable job over several years in maintaining good relations with the community. For the Provincial police to team up with CBSA under the disguise of a Ministry of Transportation vehicle safety check will go some way to undo a lot of that hard-won good will.

I'm with dbd on this - I can't really see the point of the exercise. So 21 illegals might be deported (assuming they don't launch a lengthy and expensive appeal). That's 21 jobs that won't get done for the next couple of days until the next willing worker, whatever their immigration status, is taken on. How much impact will that have on Canada's economy? How much time for the police/CBSA/MT folks is that worth? Was it really a worthwhile exercise, given the likely worsening community relations that will result?

magnumpi Aug 19th 2014 4:06 pm

Toronto maybe the place to go if anyone can't be bothered waiting for CIC or even bothered to fill in that long winded paper work and take an English test. Welcome to all !!

Council urges province to give illegal immigrants welfare | News | Toronto Sun