New car suggestions

Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New car suggestions

Originally Posted by stuabroad
If you're buying a Mustang for god sake don't buy a V6
That's the Hertz model, isn't it? Specially made for the rental car market?

I have thought about buying a Mustang as a summer car, but I figure it'll be much cheaper to buy a virtual reality headset and steering wheel for my computer, and drive any car I feel like.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:25 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: New car suggestions

Originally Posted by MarkG
That's the Hertz model, isn't it? Specially made for the rental car market?

I have thought about buying a Mustang as a summer car, but I figure it'll be much cheaper to buy a virtual reality headset and steering wheel for my computer, and drive any car I feel like.
In simple terms, the post 2011 V6 has 305hp which is a rather nice number (the V8 has over 400).

The old V6 had a rather anemic (for the class) 205hp and the V8 had...erm...300hp.

So skipping the special editions, the new V6 makes a smidge more than the old V8. Hence the very differeing opinions being expressed here.

More importantly with the demise of the Chrysler 200, there's no convertible option in a "normal" car. I guess the VW Eos is as close as it gets, or indeed the mustang.

Compare this to blighty where every run of the mill manufacturer (Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Peugeot) has a ragtop or folding tintop. I call bullpoop.

Last edited by Pizzawheel; Mar 9th 2016 at 2:42 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Its a shame petrol is so cheap at the moment because when it was higher and rising it was much funnier to see people drive around in vehicles with big engines.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its a shame petrol is so cheap at the moment because when it was higher and rising it was much funnier to see people drive around in vehicles with big engines.
My B-I-L is a car salesman for a domestic car manufacturer in southern Ontario and he loves it as the profit margin is on the bigger cars. To me, large cars are a pain in large cities, underground parking areas, parallel parking, narrow single car garages etc.

In the grand scheme of things, the price of petrol rising or falling $0.10 litre or so in a week is minor compared to the ongoing costs of insurance, depreciation, repairs etc. Most people can't see beyond paying $30 per week on petrol vs $40 in the past and they make car buying decisions on that.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
.... In the grand scheme of things, the price of petrol rising or falling $0.10 litre or so in a week is minor compared to the ongoing costs of insurance, depreciation, repairs etc. Most people can't see beyond paying $30 per week on petrol vs $40 in the past and they make car buying decisions on that.
It's fun to see drivers of hybrids who paid a price premium of $thousands to save $20 a week in petrol. They are living proof that many people have absolutely no clue about how to use basic arithmetic to make logical decisions in their daily life. Even with the price of petrol at $1.50/l or more, a Prius makes no economic sense compared to a similar car with an economical four cylinder engine.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 9th 2016 at 3:21 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 3:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's fun to see drivers of hybrids who paid a price premium of $thousands to save $20 a week in petrol. They are physical proof that many people have absolutely no clue about how to use basic arithmetic to make logical decisions in their daily life. Even with the price of petrol at $1.50/l or more, a Prius makes no economic sense.
Maybe, I appreciate that if you live in the middle of nowhere and are towing your house or butchered animals about you would want a larger engine but for most people a small four cylinder car is perfectly adequate, especially if you live in a city. But people are nuts over here. My American nan, owns a Cadillac 4L car and she only drives to the hairdressers, church and local KKK rallies. She could still be a well-coiffed, religious, racist in a Nissan Micra.

Edited to note I meant country club not a KKK rally, although one could see my confusion.

Last edited by Oink; Mar 9th 2016 at 3:32 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 3:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe, I appreciate that if you live in the middle of nowhere and are towing your house or butchered animals about you would want a larger engine but for most people a small four cylinder car is perfectly adequate, especially if you live in a city. But people are nuts over here. My American nan, owns a Cadillac 4L car and she only drives to the hairdressers, church and local KKK rallies.
I don't think it's a big issue if retired people who do low mileage want to drive a "nice car" to the supermarket and to church on Sundays. Even driving a tank they're spending peanuts on fuel if they're only driving 20 miles a week.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 3:35 pm

I don't think it's a big issue if retired people who do low mileage want to drive a "nice car" to the supermarket and to church on Sundays. Even driving a tank they're spending peanuts on fuel if they're only driving 20 miles a week.
I see you're in "Dixieland" so are fully aware of the phenomenon of little old southern ladies driving around town in their gas-guzzling monstrosities just so the neighbours can say, "ooh look there goes Mrs . . . in her Cadillac."
Old Mar 9th 2016, 3:43 pm

I see you're in "Dixieland" so are fully aware of the phenomenon of little old southern ladies driving around town in their gas-guzzling monstrosities ....
Hëll yeah! .... I see them occasionally on the interstate, floating along with negligible connection between steering wheel and the road. It makes me sea-sick just to watch them.

An elderly neighbour used to drive her old Buick barge to go and fetch her mail. Not from the post office, from the mailbox at the end of her driveway!
Old Mar 9th 2016, 3:45 pm

Hëll yeah! .... I see them occasionally on the interstate, floating along with negligible connection between steering wheel and the road. It makes me sea-sick just to watch them.

An elderly neighbour used to drive her old Buick barge to go and fetch her mail. Not from the post office, from the mailbox at the end of her driveway!
Mine drives hers for about three years and then gives it to her maid. The last one had only done 5000 miles.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Even driving a tank they're spending peanuts on fuel if they're only driving 20 miles a week.
I liked the ad I saw in Exchange and Mart about twenty years ago, for a tank with 'an economical 4.2 litre engine'.

Before that, I'd never imagined that someone in the market for a tank would really care that much about fuel economy.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

My 5.7 Hemi Ram 1500 averages 18.6L/100km. That's just over 15 miles to a real gallon.

Even though it has 'Eco Mode' which turns off the petrol to half the cylinders when you're not booting it
Old Mar 9th 2016, 9:22 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

That's about 12 mpg which is rubbish in any language, my 4 litre v8 Audi rs turned off pairs of cylinders as needed but it used to do about 25-30 which I thought was bad... My diesel is far better, what can I say, vorsprung durch teknic, never buy an American car.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
That's about 12 mpg which is rubbish in any language.
You're confusing real gallons with the small American ones....

I have a 1997 Landrover Defender that uses far less fuel than my truck, that's for certain! That has 2.5 litres of turbo diesel engine.

My last UK car was a Merc C220 diesel estate - that did nearly 50mpg. If they sold them in estate form over here (with European diesel engines) I would still be driving one....
Old Mar 10th 2016, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Your own research is suspect. The latest mustangs have multi link suspension.

I wasn't talking about the latest generation Mustang, that's not what the OP was discussing buying, which means no new rear end i'm afraid.

To convince yourself that a 335 is as quick as an M3 is naive too. The M3 (and M4) engine is a derivative of the N55 engine in the 335i. Both displace 3.0 liters and have six cylinders arranged in a straight line. The similarities end there. The M engine has a larger bore and a shorter stroke than the 335i’s. Not to mention the two (rather than one) turbochargers, the forged crankshaft, the dry-sump oiling, and the water-to-air intercooler that make 430 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque possible. And also a weigh difference.
Your full of it, why not come and join our club and post your comments and see what reactions you get lol. the M3 vs 335 dyno battle is always fun to observe. An M3 with the V8 is clearly much more powerful but a 335 pretty much holds its own initially (within a few milliseconds) of the M3 before it gets killed. I guess mine's also a little unusual as i run a JB4 Stage 2 tune and factory performance kit and a bunch of other stuff. blah blah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.