British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   New car suggestions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/new-car-suggestions-871190/)

Tootlepootle Jan 24th 2016 1:42 am

New car suggestions

Currently have a Mini Cooper. Want something with a little more grunt but is fun to drive. Moving up a big hill but will use it to commute to Downtown Vancouver and locally. We drive a Sienna for long journeys.

Any suggestions appreciated. Ideally don't want to spend more that $25000

dbd33 Jan 24th 2016 1:53 am

Re: New car suggestions

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 11846298)
Currently have a Mini Cooper. Want something with a little more grunt but is fun to drive. Moving up a big hill but will use it to commute to Downtown Vancouver and locally. We drive a Sienna for long journeys.

Fun. Cheap. Nominally 4 seats. Mustang convertible. Available in flavours from 300hp up and with a six speed box (although when you'd use 6th is a mystery). American, of course, and RWD, wronger than a wrong thing. A blast every day.

Tootlepootle Jan 24th 2016 1:57 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11846304)
Fun. Cheap. Nominally 4 seats. Mustang convertible. Available in flavours from 300hp up and with a six speed box (although when you'd use 6th is a mystery). American, of course, and RWD, wronger than a wrong thing. A blast every day.

That is top of my chav list. I really want one but i as you say it is so wrong!!

Pulaski Jan 24th 2016 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 11846306)
..... I really want one but i as you say it is so wrong!!

No, you are wrong about that. You definitely want a Mustang! :nod:

Tootlepootle Jan 24th 2016 2:03 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11846304)

Forgot about the dogs, do I need a fun Hatchback?!

dbd33 Jan 24th 2016 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 11846306)
That is top of my chav list. I really want one but i as you say it is so wrong!!

I have one for commuting (30,000 miles a year). I love it in the snow and I love it compared to the VW I had before when I'm at the dealers, servicing a Ford is laughably cheap. Sensible, no. Fun, yes. I only regret that I got it off lease and so couldn't choose the colour. It needs a more in-yer-face shade.

dbd33 Jan 24th 2016 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 11846310)
Forgot about the dogs, do I need a fun Hatchback?!

"Fun hatchback", er, like a, like a what? A Renault 5 Turbo 2 won't fit the budget and cramps the dogs.

We have a greyhound and a whippet and routinely squish them into the Mustang. I have a seatbelt harness because a previous dog, a doodle, use to bound out at the traffic lights but these two are calmer.

Stinkypup Jan 24th 2016 2:16 am

Get an update of your current- good enough room in the car for family, two and four legged and 142mph- not exactly a slouch- you would have to knock them down price-wise though- apologies that it is from the Daily Wail btw:unsure:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/even...y-triumph.html

Piff Poff Jan 24th 2016 3:54 am

I have desires for a Fiat 500 Arbath, I have yet to drive one to see if I'd actually want one and I'd need to see how much room there is for the dogsters and work deliveries with the seats folded down. There isnt really much else out there at the moment that makes me want to switch my current car up. Did bid on a mini today but it was too spendy.

Aviator Jan 24th 2016 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 11846298)
Want something with a little more grunt but is fun to drive.

Hard to beat a Harley for torque and fun to drive, lots under $25k, you could even get a rain suit in there.

Tootlepootle Jan 24th 2016 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11846372)
Hard to beat a Harley for torque and fun to drive, lots under $25k, you could even get a rain suit in there.

Sidecar for the dogs and child?

bc2015 Jan 24th 2016 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 11846356)
I have desires for a Fiat 500 Arbath, I have yet to drive one to see if I'd actually want one and I'd need to see how much room there is for the dogsters and work deliveries with the seats folded down. There isnt really much else out there at the moment that makes me want to switch my current car up. Did bid on a mini today but it was too spendy.

Fiat 500s are hideously overpriced.

Stinkypup Jan 24th 2016 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 11846379)
Sidecar for the dogs and child?

Vancouver version of Wallace and Gromit?!:cool:

Atlantic Xpat Jan 24th 2016 11:57 am

It's out of your price range by a factor of 2ish and as chav as they get but I really fancy a Ford Focus RS Ford Focus RS Reviews - Ford Focus RS Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver . But then I did live in Essex for 14 years....

Aside from that, I'd go with dbd's suggestion!

(That Car and Driver review is us where the price is $36k, in Canuckistan it's nearer $50k!)

Danny B Jan 24th 2016 4:57 pm

https://www.mazda.ca/en/vehicles/2016-cx-3/overview/