Masks

Old May 10th 2022, 10:55 am
  #931  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 52,662
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by printer
Exactly it's all about taking necessary precautions. It's certainly possible to follow all possible safety precautions and wear a mask while out at all times and then end up catching COVID from a family member at home. This has long been the issue particularly with multigenerational homes in some areas.
Multigenerational households and a failure to understand what being "in a bubble" meant*, were the two gaping holes in the well-intentioned plans to moderate the infection rate during the pendemic.

* Short version - if anyone is in two bubbles, then the bubbles are automatically merged. The result of this is that the prospect of there being a bubble bigger than about half a dozen people/ one family that has integrity and is effective for restricting the speead of covid, is slim to none. If any member of "your bubble" works outside the home, there is effectively no bubble.
Pulaski is offline  
Old May 11th 2022, 4:22 am
  #932  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,387
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

The wearing of face masks in airports and on European flights is "no longer recommended", the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) has said.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...ended-12610457

Danny B is offline  
Old May 11th 2022, 4:59 am
  #933  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 52,308
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Danny B
The wearing of face masks in airports and on European flights is "no longer recommended", the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) has said.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...ended-12610457
It's a wonderful thing, language.
While sky news reports mask wearing is no longer recommended and puts those three words in quotation marks to show it as a genuine (but only partial) quote, the ECDC report actually says something quite different.
While mandatory mask-wearing in all situations is no longer recommended, it is important to be mindful that together with physical distancing and good hand hygiene it is one of the best methods of reducing transmission.
So mask wearing, with distancing and hand hygiene actually continues to be a good way of reducing transmission.
BristolUK is offline  
Old May 11th 2022, 5:21 am
  #934  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,387
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by BristolUK;[url=tel:13114031
13114031[/url]]It's a wonderful thing, language.
While sky news reports mask wearing is no longer recommended and puts those three words in quotation marks to show it as a genuine (but only partial) quote, the ECDC report actually says something quite different.

So mask wearing, with distancing and hand hygiene actually continues to be a good way of reducing transmission.
Social distancing in economy class
Danny B is offline  
Old May 11th 2022, 12:41 pm
  #935  
BE Forum Addict
 
printer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,514
printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Danny B
The wearing of face masks in airports and on European flights is "no longer recommended", the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) has said.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...ended-12610457
And this is when it becomes extremely confusing for the travelling public. Travel within Europe and you are ok without mask. Currently travel within US and you can fly without mask. Fly within Canada and it's masks all the way and in the airport. Then came the complicated restrictions where you could in effect fly without mask if the countries that you were flying into didn't have a mandate in place. So technically US or UK carrier from London to New York it's no mask required. Same carrier but London to Toronto it's masks or no fly. If you use a Canadian carrier masks are always required regardless where you start and finish.
None of the above could be described as a passenger safety issue which is surely what we have all been told all along. There is no logical reason why masks would be required on some journeys and not others if it is for the well being of passengers and crew.
printer is offline  
Old May 12th 2022, 12:18 pm
  #936  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40,024
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by printer
And this is when it becomes extremely confusing for the travelling public. Travel within Europe and you are ok without mask. Currently travel within US and you can fly without mask. Fly within Canada and it's masks all the way and in the airport. Then came the complicated restrictions where you could in effect fly without mask if the countries that you were flying into didn't have a mandate in place. So technically US or UK carrier from London to New York it's no mask required. Same carrier but London to Toronto it's masks or no fly. If you use a Canadian carrier masks are always required regardless where you start and finish.
None of the above could be described as a passenger safety issue which is surely what we have all been told all along. There is no logical reason why masks would be required on some journeys and not others if it is for the well being of passengers and crew.
It's not confusing at all. Wear a mask and you're good. Same with shoes.
dbd33 is offline  
Old May 12th 2022, 1:49 pm
  #937  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,989
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

The wearing if masks in hospitals and medical environments continues to be recommended. The only reason they aren't recommended elsewhere is political.
bats is offline  
Old May 12th 2022, 3:33 pm
  #938  
BE Forum Addict
 
printer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,514
printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by bats
The wearing if masks in hospitals and medical environments continues to be recommended. The only reason they aren't recommended elsewhere is political.
On this we agree
printer is offline  
Old May 12th 2022, 3:55 pm
  #939  
BE Forum Addict
 
printer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 2,514
printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not confusing at all. Wear a mask and you're good. Same with shoes.
This is an odd comment and i assume that your reasoning is wear a mask regardless of the regulations because it's recommended. Fact is whilst there are those that will still wear them and feel ill at ease without one there are also those that enjoy life without so when a mandate becomes a "recommendation" those people will choose to remove them and some airlines are happy about this as it's one less thing for the on board staff to enforce. As bats has said above it's become political now. When the worlds airlines decide that wearing a seatbelt for take off and landing is mandatory it's the same for any airline on any route for passenger safety. Yet wearing a mask on board is random depending on carrier and destination neither of which have any bearing on the risk of catching the virus and transporting it across the world.
printer is offline  
Old May 13th 2022, 12:58 am
  #940  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 40,024
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by printer
This is an odd comment and i assume that your reasoning is wear a mask regardless of the regulations because it's recommended. Fact is whilst there are those that will still wear them and feel ill at ease without one there are also those that enjoy life without so when a mandate becomes a "recommendation" those people will choose to remove them and some airlines are happy about this as it's one less thing for the on board staff to enforce. As bats has said above it's become political now. When the worlds airlines decide that wearing a seatbelt for take off and landing is mandatory it's the same for any airline on any route for passenger safety. Yet wearing a mask on board is random depending on carrier and destination neither of which have any bearing on the risk of catching the virus and transporting it across the world.
You said the situation is confusing for the traveling public. It really isn't. Wear a mask and you can go anywhere, you don't have to be concerned with the local regulations. The same is true for shoes. Some places may admit you without shoes, most won't. Wear shoes and you don't have to ask. Shirts are similar.

dbd33 is offline  
Old May 13th 2022, 3:43 am
  #941  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,989
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by printer
On this we agree
so it's safer for everyone if we voluntarily wear masks. Like washing your hands after peeing and or pooping,

Last edited by bats; May 13th 2022 at 4:23 am.
bats is offline  
Old May 13th 2022, 6:06 am
  #942  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,387
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by bats
so it's safer for everyone if we voluntarily wear masks. Like washing your hands after peeing and or pooping,
We may as well just face it, if the average healthy vaccinated person is given a choice to wear a mask or not to wear a mask, most of them (myself included) will choose not to wear a mask. Besides going to the Hospital, I don't see anyone here wearing a mask.

Danny B is offline  
Old May 13th 2022, 7:33 am
  #943  
limey party pooper
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,989
bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by Danny B
We may as well just face it, if the average healthy vaccinated person is given a choice to wear a mask or not to wear a mask, most of them (myself included) will choose not to wear a mask. Besides going to the Hospital, I don't see anyone here wearing a mask.
That's what I don't understand, knowingly doing something potentially harmful to yourself and others yet carrying on because it's optional, Take a risk for yourself if you must but affecting others? That's unfathomable.
bats is offline  
Old May 13th 2022, 7:47 am
  #944  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,385
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by bats
That's what I don't understand, knowingly doing something potentially harmful to yourself and others yet carrying on because it's optional, Take a risk for yourself if you must but affecting others? That's unfathomable.
It's the flip side of those that are concerned willfully exposing themselves by mixing with those that don't feel the same way that they do. I can't think of a situation where the former cannot avoid mixing with the latter, in a situation where a mask is not mandatory.
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old May 13th 2022, 8:29 am
  #945  
Tea Drinker
 
Danny B's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 5,387
Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

Originally Posted by bats
That's what I don't understand, knowingly doing something potentially harmful to yourself and others yet carrying on because it's optional, Take a risk for yourself if you must but affecting others? That's unfathomable.
Masks didn't stop it in 2020
Vaccines didn't stop it in 2021
Masks and vaccines combined didn't stop it in 2022.
Masks, vaccines & social distancing is probably the only solution but how long can the world keep that up?

Sometimes you have to take a risk and get on with life.
Danny B is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.