Masks

Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Masks

I masked up for taxi and inside the big pharmacy/grocery store today.

Around 20 other customers and only two others were masked. Distancing was well observed though.

I was a bit surprised more weren't masked considering only about two weeks ago it was announced mandatory for public places inside. They did actually backtrack about the mandatory aspect a day later but it seemed to me that had less publicity so I thought fewer may not know.

It's likely coming so why not get used to it - and get a supply - so you're ready?

Old Jul 1st 2020, 5:13 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0016018

TLDR: Buy a decent mask, not some crappy loose fitting bandanna.

The use of face masks in public settings has been widely recommended by public health officials during the current COVID-19 pandemic. The masks help mitigate the risk of cross-infection via respiratory droplets; however, there are no specific guidelines on mask materials and designs that are most effective in minimizing droplet dispersal. While there have been prior studies on the performance of medical-grade masks, there are insufficient data on cloth-based coverings, which are being used by a vast majority of the general public.
We use qualitative visualizations of emulated coughs and sneezes to examine how material- and design-choices impact the extent to which droplet-laden respiratory jets are blocked.

Loosely folded face masks and bandana-style coverings provide minimal stopping-capability for the smallest aerosolized respiratory droplets. Well-fitted homemade masks with multiple layers of quilting fabric, and off-the-shelf cone style masks, proved to be the most effective in reducing droplet dispersal. These masks were able to curtail the speed and range of the respiratory jets significantly, albeit with some leakage through the mask material and from small gaps along the edges.

Importantly, uncovered emulated coughs were able to travel notably farther than the currently recommended 6-ft distancing guideline. We outline the procedure for setting up simple visualization experiments using easily available materials, which may help healthcare professionals, medical researchers, and manufacturers in assessing the effectiveness of face masks and other personal protective equipment qualitatively.

Old Jul 1st 2020, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0016018

TLDR: Buy a decent mask, not some crappy loose fitting bandanna.

The use of face masks in public settings has been widely recommended by public health officials during the current COVID-19 pandemic. The masks help mitigate the risk of cross-infection via respiratory droplets; however, there are no specific guidelines on mask materials and designs that are most effective in minimizing droplet dispersal. While there have been prior studies on the performance of medical-grade masks, there are insufficient data on cloth-based coverings, which are being used by a vast majority of the general public.
We use qualitative visualizations of emulated coughs and sneezes to examine how material- and design-choices impact the extent to which droplet-laden respiratory jets are blocked.

Loosely folded face masks and bandana-style coverings provide minimal stopping-capability for the smallest aerosolized respiratory droplets. Well-fitted homemade masks with multiple layers of quilting fabric, and off-the-shelf cone style masks, proved to be the most effective in reducing droplet dispersal. These masks were able to curtail the speed and range of the respiratory jets significantly, albeit with some leakage through the mask material and from small gaps along the edges.

Importantly, uncovered emulated coughs were able to travel notably farther than the currently recommended 6-ft distancing guideline. We outline the procedure for setting up simple visualization experiments using easily available materials, which may help healthcare professionals, medical researchers, and manufacturers in assessing the effectiveness of face masks and other personal protective equipment qualitatively.
So all these thin cloth style masks companies and makers have made that are thin fabric without layers don't seem particularly useful?

Haven't seen any cone style masks in store, but cheap blue thin surgical masks are dime a dozen at Canadian Tire, but at average cost per mask $1, seems the cost would add up pretty quickly, and not sure if reusing that type of mask is suitable.

The Canadian Tire disposable masks are too small for my face, as are all the cloth ones I bough, but the custom made one my wife's friend made fits, but relatively thin fabric and not layered, was done in a rush due to the thought at the time I was flying in a few days.

Maybe I'll just put a water bottle over my head.

https://dailyhive.com/seattle/water-...rus-washington

Old Jul 1st 2020, 6:15 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I get some really weird looks when I wear mine

Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Do those that wear masks continue to wear them while at home? If not, why not? Is transmission to family members deemed acceptable?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Does that include pets as well Oh the advantages of just having a cat to live with.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Went to Wal Mart 2 times today and Super Store once today.

I decided to do a survey of people while there.

WM- 56 people counted of which 11 had masks.
WM- 62 people counted of which 18 had masks.
Super- 37 people counted of which 5 had masks.

No employees encountered had masks on on.

Old Jul 1st 2020, 9:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do those that wear masks continue to wear them while at home? If not, why not? Is transmission to family members deemed acceptable?

Old Jul 2nd 2020, 2:16 pm
Tea Drinker

I think it's pretty much a given that if I have it, my Wife has it and vice versa. We are in a healthy relationship
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 5:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Your signature line has never been so apt for the post you just made.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 3:29 am
Tea Drinker

Skip to 1m 27 s and that's why we social distance.

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 6:20 pm
Oscar nominated

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 9:39 pm
Oscar nominated

I got mine in the end from Staples - ordered on line for pick-up by stepdaughter working next door. Amazon was a con but refunded, Walmart 3rd party appears a con.
My Walmart 3rd party masks turned up after all. Only took about 10 weeks
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My Walmart 3rd party masks turned up after all. Only took about 10 weeks
But look how far they had to go, I assume they went from China/Asia somewhere to Atlantic Canada via least expensive option so may have sat on a ship, the lack of flights are seeing more of the lower postage/lower priority mail being sent by sea, limited cargo capacity and such still.

10 weeks may not actually be all that bad...
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Maybe this virus is mutating to a zombie virus that hates masks....

But its leading to some interesting entertainment these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.