View Poll Results: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher (these days)?
Made Britain Great Again !
0%
She did what she had to do, and the country was benefitted in the long run.
46.81%
Heartless Tory, she has a lot to answer for.
29.79%
Thatcher Thatcher, milk snatcher. Hope she's warm down there.
23.40%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Margaret Thatcher

Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher

I'd say, "She did what she had to do, but it's not certain if it benefited the country in the long run".

Basically she made a couple of mistakes: Laying the long term foundation that the finance industry would be the major industry in the UK, not industrial manufacturing. Then the poll tax, later on the council tax, laying the foundation to bringing the responsibility to the council, but never having enough funding and making rising taxes the only option. Whether that were all wise choices for the long term of the UK is debatable or questionable. Finance jobs moving to the mainland due to Brexit, not as much industrial manufacturing or at least not like Germany, ever rising property prices due to mortgage availability, also financial issues for councils....

But overall her work was ok, in the end, she did what most conservative politicians would have done.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:44 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

10 foot plinth
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/n...-event-4747191
Old Dec 1st 2020, 11:59 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Still dead.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 1:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Still dead.
You sure?

Old Dec 1st 2020, 2:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I'd say, "She did what she had to do, but it's not certain if it benefited the country in the long run".

Basically she made a couple of mistakes: Laying the long term foundation that the finance industry would be the major industry in the UK, not industrial manufacturing. Then the poll tax, later on the council tax, laying the foundation to bringing the responsibility to the council, but never having enough funding and making rising taxes the only option. Whether that were all wise choices for the long term of the UK is debatable or questionable. Finance jobs moving to the mainland due to Brexit, not as much industrial manufacturing or at least not like Germany, ever rising property prices due to mortgage availability, also financial issues for councils....

But overall her work was ok, in the end, she did what most conservative politicians would have done.
Manufacturing of physical goods is not everything, and in case, Britain still has many manufacturers of more advanced goods. Brexit will threaten manufacturing just as much as finance, perhaps even more so given physical supply chains. I think criticism of Thatcher has is more about social upheaval than economic shifts.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 2:23 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Lincolnshire Live website is a bit ambitious, first asking if I'd like to recived notfications from them (well, so many do these days) THEN putting up a screen suggesting I add a shortcut to their homepage on my desktop ! This is after the usual cookies consent page. Surfing the net is not as frictionless as it used to be !

Old Dec 2nd 2020, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A generation grew up thinking you has to be Female to be PM.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone on here registering or attending the egg throwing day out for the statue unveiling??????

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/01/thous...atue-13682784/

I suppose it will be a boost to the egg marketing sector and to those who sell eggs in that area. Will it be UK eggs only or will EU eggs be allowed?
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 10:25 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Anyone on here registering or attending the egg throwing day out for the statue unveiling??????

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/01/thous...atue-13682784/

I suppose it will be a boost to the egg marketing sector and to those who sell eggs in that area. Will it be UK eggs only or will EU eggs be allowed?
Perhaps those so inclined could donate the eggs to the local food bank.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 7:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Shard
Perhaps those so inclined could donate the eggs to the local food bank.
Or perhaps they should get on their bikes eh ? Perish the thought the idea that people protest such a divisive not needed , utter waste of money statue . Perhaps that money could have gone towards the communities laid waste.

Note: I do not agree with wasting eggs. i grew up poor. Rotten fruit and veg or even better used bog roll. No statue .

Originally Posted by Tangram
Still dead.
Yup. We do not need any reminder. Leave it gone and far behind but never ever forget what happened .

Old Dec 3rd 2020, 11:14 am
Yo

Originally Posted by BEVS
Or perhaps they should get on their bikes eh ? Perish the thought the idea that people protest such a divisive not needed , utter waste of money statue . Perhaps that money could have gone towards the communities laid waste.

Note: I do not agree with wasting eggs. i grew up poor. Rotten fruit and veg or even better used bog roll. No statue .

Yup. We do not need any reminder. Leave it gone and far behind but never ever forget what happened .
I wasn't objecting to protest, merely the wasting of perfectly good eggs. We hear reports of families in desperate need of food these days, and food banks are undersupplied.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 12:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in the NHS, and I saw, first hand, just what happened, how demoralised staff became how the pay problems impacted it and how many, excellent, people left because of what she started. That made me a lifelong, anyone but the Tories voter, my mother, a staunch Tory supporter would have disowned me.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

. I think criticism of Thatcher has is more about social upheaval than economic shifts.
I have noticed that. That's also the reason why Thatcher is still so polarizing, even today. I also noticed that my criticism of Thatcher was always somewhat different.

What I also criticised about Thatcher is that she didn't offer any choices for the future of Hong Kong or raise a public discourse about hat matter. Hong Kong was British forever up until the Boundary Road, only the New Territories were on lease. Naturally that could not have been split, however Thatcher could have made a push for a referendum for the citizens of Hong Kong on their future. Back to China or become a self governing city state totally sovereign from mainland China,.and possible part of the Commonwealth. Sure, this would have created some and more some disorientation in communist run China, but in a modern time of self determination this option should have been made. Sadly it wasn't.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Dec 3rd 2020 at 1:37 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 2:45 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I worked in the NHS, and I saw, first hand, just what happened, how demoralised staff became how the pay problems impacted it and how many, excellent, people left because of what she started. That made me a lifelong, anyone but the Tories voter, my mother, a staunch Tory supporter would have disowned me.
Isn't that a perennial problem in the NHS. It's constanly struggling with resources, no matter which party is in charge.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that a perennial problem in the NHS. It's constanly struggling with resources, no matter which party is in charge.
I agree, its never been any different regardless of which government is in power.... .

Most of us know government run organisations are always the same, they hemorrhage money through bureaucratic inefficient systems and management.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.