View Poll Results: What do you think of Margaret Thatcher (these days)?
Made Britain Great Again !
0%
She did what she had to do, and the country was benefitted in the long run.
46.81%
Heartless Tory, she has a lot to answer for.
29.79%
Thatcher Thatcher, milk snatcher. Hope she's warm down there.
23.40%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Margaret Thatcher

Old Dec 16th 2020, 1:00 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
less than previous series I think. Thatcher was off-puttingly dreadful, and Camilla was also in call the midwife so no suspension of disbelief there. The dig about Andrew’s ‘preferences’ just high-lighted how shocking the age gap really was though.
Also "less than the previous series" ... I suppose there was less of that 50s 60s mystique. I thought the Gillian Anderson's portrayal of Thatcher was brilliant? Or perhaps you simply didn't want to be reminded of her? Hadn't seen Camilla before, but it did all seem very chummy and far fetched. Actually, I found the Charles - Dianna age gap quite shocking - hadn't really thought about it before. I knew there was one, but it really was quite wide.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I have noticed that. That's also the reason why Thatcher is still so polarizing, even today. I also noticed that my criticism of Thatcher was always somewhat different.

What I also criticised about Thatcher is that she didn't offer any choices for the future of Hong Kong or raise a public discourse about hat matter. Hong Kong was British forever up until the Boundary Road, only the New Territories were on lease. Naturally that could not have been split, however Thatcher could have made a push for a referendum for the citizens of Hong Kong on their future. Back to China or become a self governing city state totally sovereign from mainland China,.and possible part of the Commonwealth. Sure, this would have created some and more some disorientation in communist run China, but in a modern time of self determination this option should have been made. Sadly it wasn't.
I don't think people understand. Hong Kong was eventually going back to China whether the UK liked it or not. All China had to do was turn off the water. Pushing for a referendum would be pointless.
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 12:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure China is into self determination, ask the Tibetans. And a few others.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 4:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not sure China is into self determination, ask the Tibetans. And a few others.
Of course they are, to paraphrase Henry Ford, anyone can choose whatever ethnicity they like, as long as it's Han Chinese.
Old Feb 5th 2021, 12:41 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Of course they are, to paraphrase Henry Ford, anyone can choose whatever ethnicity they like, as long as it's Han Chinese.
China is a very good at recognizing ethnic minorities, 50 odd being officially recognized, just not very good at giving any of them any meaningful self determination or independence, despite minority autonomous counties, prefectures, and provinces.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 10:56 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Watching Agent's Scully uncanny portrayal of the Iron Lady in The Crown, and it got me to wondering, what are others' views on Mrs T after all these years...?
If she was standing today I'd probably vote for her no problem.