London Fire Question

Old Jun 16th 2017, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Fire Question

Reading the personal stories of those who escaped the inferno, one thing jumped out-the repeated references to thick black smoke in the 'fire escape'.
Yesterday the Times had a graphic of Grenfell Tower, and the fire escape, if one could call it that, was not really a fire escape, just the regular stairs, of which there was just one flight, open to smoke and fire.

In the many rental and condo buildings I lived in (mainly AB) there were always two protected fire escapes-which had positive air pressure to prevent the ingress of smoke. Since the late '90s I lived in two condo building all of which also had sprinklers installed. This I believe is called active safety, as opposed to passive safety precautions as practised in the UK-that is stay put, your apartment has a two hour fire resistance rating. Yeah, it is the smoke that gets you, disables you, and chokes you.

In further reference, the Times also said that the U.S. had banned the cladding used on the UK buildings-fire risk. I cannot recollect a residential or commercial building in Canada that had the main exit doors opening inwards-not so in the UK. My view is that fire prevention and safety regulations in Canada for tower blocks is far superior to those in the UK
Old Jun 16th 2017, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure in BC apartments and condos over 3 stories have had to be built with sprinklers since the late 90s.

The only apartment I have lived in that did not have sprinklers was built in the 70s.

Our current apartment has sprinklers, smoke alarm that is local to the unit only and another alarm that is heat sensor that will set off the entire building alarm.

There are also a total of 3 stairwells one on each end and one in the middle of the building. All doors open out and open to the street level.

There are also several fire extinguishers on each floor.

They test the system monthly in addition to sound a very bright strobe light also flashes.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003
Reading the personal stories of those who escaped the inferno, one thing jumped out-the repeated references to thick black smoke in the 'fire escape'.
Yesterday the Times had a graphic of Grenfell Tower, and the fire escape, if one could call it that, was not really a fire escape, just the regular stairs, of which there was just one flight, open to smoke and fire.

In the many rental and condo buildings I lived in (mainly AB) there were always two protected fire escapes-which had positive air pressure to prevent the ingress of smoke. Since the late '90s I lived in two condo building all of which also had sprinklers installed. This I believe is called active safety, as opposed to passive safety precautions as practised in the UK-that is stay put, your apartment has a two hour fire resistance rating. Yeah, it is the smoke that gets you, disables you, and chokes you.

In further reference, the Times also said that the U.S. had banned the cladding used on the UK buildings-fire risk. I cannot recollect a residential or commercial building in Canada that had the main exit doors opening inwards-not so in the UK. My view is that fire prevention and safety regulations in Canada for tower blocks is far superior to those in the UK
This article from a Lecturer in Structural Engineering, City, University of London may cast more light on the reasons for this.

London's Grenfell Tower disaster: how did the fire spread so quickly? | Business Standard News
Old Jun 16th 2017, 4:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2003

You say that, but a CBC video just noted that hi-rise built prior to 2010 (Ont) and 1990 (BC) are exempt from sprinkler provision?
Old Jun 16th 2017, 6:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The heat generated was over 1000c - similar to a crematoria. They suspect they won't be able to identify a lot of the people.

Just shocking, such an unnecessary loss of life. I have to admit I've shed a few tears.

I can only hope that the majority succumbed to the smoke and fumes before the fire itself reached them. How utterly terrified they must have been...

Old Jun 16th 2017, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The heat generated was over 1000c - similar to a crematoria. They suspect they won't be able to identify a lot of the people.

Just shocking, such an unnecessary loss of life. I have to admit I've shed a few tears.

I can only hope that the majority succumbed to the smoke and fumes before the fire itself reached them. How utterly terrified they must have been...

So many sad stories. Having young children I can't even start to imagine how people are feeling. Too many babies died either through ignorance, negligence or greed.

Five-year-old boy lost after he let go of neighbour's hand while being led away from Grenfell Tower blaze

Grenfell Tower fire: Appeals to find missing residents