London Fire Question

Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:30 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Fire Question

Originally Posted by caretaker
On the early morning news they reported that out of 125 suites about 25 had their own smoke detectors, and there were no common area smoke detectors and no sprinklers.
It's like a building made for an Indian shantytown!! Not central London.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Are these items required in the UK? And if so was this building older so built to older standards?

Originally Posted by caretaker
On the early morning news they reported that out of 125 suites about 25 had their own smoke detectors, and there were no common area smoke detectors and no sprinklers.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:59 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

The pics of this building are horrific !!
Attached Thumbnails London Fire Question-img_0051.png  
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Are these items required in the UK? And if so was this building older so built to older standards?
This is not just about building codes, fire systems come under landlord/tenant legislation.

For example:
It is now recommended that fire extinguishers should not be used by untrained persons i.e. residents/tenants, therefore do not place them in common areas.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/content/fire-safety

In purpose built flats or maisonettes, built in accordance with modern building regulations, it is assumed that a fire will generally be confined to the dwelling. This is because there is a high degree of compartmentation and a low probability of fire spread beyond the dwelling of origin.

Last edited by mrken30; Jun 14th 2017 at 7:11 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
The exterior was modernised with rain screen cladding, believed to have included thermal insulation, and replacement windows, while curtain wall facades, a new heating system and smoke extract and ventilation system were also installed.

Take from here

It does look rather horrific, and there are fears it'll collapse.

Apparently residents complained about risk of fire previously as well - have a look here

I've always been slightly concerned about the buildings over here, as the new stuff going up over the past 10 years (probably longer too), seems all to be wood framed, which does explain how large cookie-cutter sub-divisions can get thrown up in a very short space of time, but it also seems to be a big fire risk, as one burning building could overtake another. Sure, there is meant to be some kind of firebreak material between the buildings (I'm thinking row / townhouse / small apartment complexes) but I suspect it's the bare minimum required by code.
Your comments have some validity but, despite the widespread use of wood, I don't recall any fires on this scale in Canada in buildings accommodating people. Britain used up most of its trees in past times and for centuries mainly used wood in construction of homes, hence the Great Fire of London, etc. But in those
days contrilling/managing of fire outbreaks by authorities was really non-existent. I suspect the London building was poorly built and managed. I would like to think (probably Naïvely) that in first world countries at least, Fire Services would have a plan prepared for fighting fires on each high rose building within its jurisdiction. Accusations will soon be flying in this situation.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 10:29 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

When this building was first designed, there would have been a few design engineers whose job it would have been to ensure stability in the case of a fire to allow tenants time to escape.
I hope they're still alive because they're to be congratulated. This must have been a worst possible scenario and the building still stands.
The enquiry will determine the cause and reasons for the disaster, but preventing the building from collapsing will make their task possible.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 11:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
When this building was first designed, there would have been a few design engineers whose job it would have been to ensure stability in the case of a fire to allow tenants time to escape.
I hope they're still alive because they're to be congratulated. This must have been a worst possible scenario and the building still stands.
The enquiry will determine the cause and reasons for the disaster, but preventing the building from collapsing will make their task possible.
On the other hand, I believe the blame will fall primarily on the engineer/designer who specified the cladding, and possibly other materials, to be retrofitted onto a 43 year old concrete tower. Even at this stage it is clear that the product wasn't suitable for the use it was put to.

Even if there was an entirely separate reason for the fire to start, unconnected to the design and installation of the replacement cladding, the building was a ticking time-bomb, just waiting for the right circumstances to start an inferno.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
On the other hand, I believe the blame will fall primarily on the engineer/designer who specified the cladding, and possibly other materials, to be retrofitted onto a 43 year old concrete tower. Even at this stage it is clear that the product wasn't suitable for the use it was put to.

Even if there was an entirely separate reason for the fire to start, unconnected to the design and installation of the replacement cladding, the building was a ticking time-bomb, just waiting for the right circumstances to start an inferno.
I could imagine someone feels really guilty and responsible for the loss of life.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 12:22 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but my comments were addressed to those whose task it was to design the original structure and even though it was subjected to the most intense test it still stands.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 12:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I agree, but my comments were addressed to those whose task it was to design the original structure and even though it was subjected to the most intense test it still stands.
I understand, and agree wholeheartedly - they should be proud. .... The retrofitters, not so much!
Old Jun 15th 2017, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
When we added a floor to our house we were obliged to finish the walls that were near to neighbouring houses with fire resistant drywall. I don't know how effective it is but it's bloody heavy.
Was that just the new floor you added or all floors?. There is some magical distance that once you are within of the property line (not the distance to the house next door) you have to protect your home from having a fire jump from one house to the other. I think there is also an option of heat sensitive blinds that drop down in a fire and prevent a fire escaping via a window.

The Building Department at most local authorities are the ones who catch this after you've gone through Planning Department processes that tie you in to a design and things are rather late in the process.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 2:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Was that just the new floor you added or all floors?. There is some magical distance that once you are within of the property line
Just the new floor. The ground floor has brick and plaster walls which met code as of the construction date, 1860. On one end the wall defined the property line but the next house was a good way, perhaps 20' off. On the other it was, perhaps, three feet from the next house, 18" or so from the property line.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Weirdly it was two years on the same day that my friend's 4 floor apartment burned down. The building was pretty big, a BBQ fire started at one end of the apartment block and ripped through the entire block. It took less than an hour for the fire to have spread from one end of the building to the other, I'd estimate about 150 m long building. Clearly the fires doors didn't work very well! The top two floors were completely destroyed (including my friends apartment) and the bottom two floors were fire damaged.
They have since rebuilt the block, exactly as before. It's crazy how little protection some buildings provide.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 8:21 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it was some systemic failure rather than that of an individual engineer. Risks would have been quantified and highlighted, but along the way various teams would have taken the view that those risks were not significant enough to warrant extra investment. That will change now.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

London looks increasingly like a city in the Third World.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.