Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A 'Life' Question from England..

A 'Life' Question from England..

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 6:19 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A 'Life' Question from England..

Originally Posted by Shard
What's the meaning of life, Hawk?
That's simple - please use the following link, watch the "instructional video" and all your questions will be answered

The Meaning of Life (1983) - IMDb

Please note that this may be perceived by some as brainwashing.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Nor history either. It only gives the kids ideas.

Come to think of it, geography is a bit dodgy too.
Don't forget chemistry...all those poisons and things.

Originally Posted by Tirytory
No amount of schooling will change a bigoted view learnt at home.
It may very well prevent the acceptance of that bigoted view. If not the teaching itself, the mere fact of the subject coming up and schoolmates talking about it.

Originally Posted by JamesM
English was a bit of a right off for me
Very clever.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanMoir
Hi All

I'm the mother of a 11 year old living in England. Son has a school homework on religious studies, where he needs to find info about life(!) from people living in different countries. These are the questions

1. "Life has no meaning."
Get him to
read read
this, it is rather well put.

Last edited by Oink; Oct 3rd 2014 at 7:42 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:31 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Shard same as Teaandtoday...it was a normal school. There's is absolutely no way I would send my child to a religious school. It seemed Christianity was accepted as fact and a few parents had issues with it...

James...well clearly there's lots of things not convered by parents but I don't believe religion should be picked up in the shortfall. It sort of leads me onto another view that I don't believe children (ie talking about pre-teens) should be exposed to the "news" so in a way I don't need to explain what that war is about, or why that man was killed etc etc... All I need to teach is tolerance and critical thinking skills... That latter definitely should be taught in schools in a very structured manner...
I really, really disagree with you about the news. My children (from 4 to 11 years old) listen to Metro Morning at breakfast time every day on the CBC radio. We used to listen to the Today on Radio 4 in the UK. They ask (even the four year old) some surprisingly incisive questions about world events. They have an interest in the political process. They understand that bad stuff happens in the world, but that it has to be particularly bad or particularly unusual for it to make it onto the news. Children have, I believe, an innate capacity to process this stuff without becoming damaged by it. War, murder, violence is a factor in modern life (has it ever not been a factor?) and the earlier children understand a bit about both international affairs and human nature, the better equipped they are to become well balanced adults with a healthily sceptical world view.

For elementary school kids, take a look at TeachingKidsNews. - it's a Canadian site that takes a usually very sensible approach to presenting sometimes difficult news material to a younger audience. They don't tend to cover so much of the war and death stuff, but what they do write about is pitched pretty well for a young audience.

Last edited by Oakvillian; Oct 3rd 2014 at 8:34 pm. Reason: messed up link
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:36 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Get him to read this, it is rather well put.
You got me.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You got me.
I wasn't trying to be funny. I think its a great read for an 11 year old.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:53 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't trying to be funny. I think its a great read for an 11 year old.

That would be one smart 11 year old.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:56 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I really, really disagree with you about the news. My children (from 4 to 11 years old) listen to Metro Morning at breakfast time every day on the CBC radio. We used to listen to the Today on Radio 4 in the UK. They ask (even the four year old) some surprisingly incisive questions about world events. They have an interest in the political process. They understand that bad stuff happens in the world, but that it has to be particularly bad or particularly unusual for it to make it onto the news. Children have, I believe, an innate capacity to process this stuff without becoming damaged by it. War, murder, violence is a factor in modern life (has it ever not been a factor?) and the earlier children understand a bit about both international affairs and human nature, the better equipped they are to become well balanced adults with a healthily sceptical world view.

For elementary school kids, take a look at TeachingKidsNews. - it's a Canadian site that takes a usually very sensible approach to presenting sometimes difficult news material to a younger audience. They don't tend to cover so much of the war and death stuff, but what they do write about is pitched pretty well for a young audience.
I don't protect them from issues that involve for example children starving/drought in Africa etc but I think the news in itself is not necessary. How does it benefit my child to know someone was beheaded by a religious zealot? You can't sensor the news quickly enough and I think at his age it is an unnecessarily scary take on the world. Also the news is essentially a media's presented view on the subject ie political slant etc and also I think you can get blasé or cynical when so much bad news is presented. That is something that doesn't need to happen.

Now by the same token, they are well versed in how morally corrupt Nestle are and why they can't have Cheerios, how chocolate must be fair trade to protect other children. I think there's enough critical thinking to see them through to their teens.

Last edited by Tirytory; Oct 3rd 2014 at 8:58 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 8:59 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Also the news is essentially a media's presented view on the subject ie political slant etc and also I think you can get blasé or cynical when so much bad news is presented. That is something that doesn't need to happen.

Now by the same token, they are well versed in how morally corrupt Nestle are and why they can't have Cheerios, how chocolate must be fair trade to protect other children. I think there's enough critical thinking to see them through to their teens.
Ah, so your version of the news is unbiased? Gotcha.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 9:03 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Ah, so your version of the news is unbiased? Gotcha.
Perhaps you should read my posts where I said my children don't need to know. We all have different takes on parenting, everyone is different.... And mostly with involved parenting they get to the same stage.

I simply don't want my children growing up thinking that the world is this horrible place where people do horrible things to each other. There is time enough for that and the reality is that the world isn't like the one presented in the news. Tbh we don't have satellite tv so there's no instant access to tv for anyone of us anyway.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 9:06 pm
me/moi

Perhaps you should read my posts where I said my children don't need to know. We all have different takes on parenting, everyone is different.... And mostly with involved parenting they get to the same stage.

I simply don't want my children growing up thinking that the world is this horrible place where people do horrible things to each other. There is time enough for that and the reality is that the world isn't like the one presented in the news. Tbh we don't have satellite tv so there's no instant access to tv for anyone of us anyway.
Exactly. Also, it depends on the child's emotional development.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 9:18 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Also, it depends on the child's emotional development.
Gawd, did you never watch John Craven's news round?

Last edited by Flogger; Oct 3rd 2014 at 9:21 pm. Reason: One of them ?
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 9:20 pm

That would be one smart 11 year old.
I think Palmer makes the subject very accessible. And don't underestimate kids, in the past I've taught Plato to grade 6's and they took to it quite well.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 9:33 pm
me/moi

I think Palmer makes the subject very accessible. And don't underestimate kids, in the past I've taught Plato to grade 6's and they took to it quite well.
As with the wontons, I haven't read the specific book, but I do have my doubts that many eleven year olds could grasp existentialism, and if so at a very superficial level. Their minds are too young and lack the requisite life experience.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 10:02 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I read your post where you said they well versed in Nestle corruption, fair trade chocolate and the evil Cheerio. You've cherry-picked social issues and fed them to your kids without providing the opportunity to hear from different sources. You're as bad as Fox News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.