Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A 'Life' Question from England..

A 'Life' Question from England..

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 11:47 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A 'Life' Question from England..

Originally Posted by R I C H
I read your post where you said they well versed in Nestle corruption, fair trade chocolate and the evil Cheerio. You've cherry-picked social issues and fed them to your kids without providing the opportunity to hear from different sources. You're as bad as Fox News
I don't cherry pick...I just cited them as examples.. And Cheerios are the devils work. I don't watch Fox News so the reference is lost on me I'm afraid

I wonder what the op thinks anyway. I do find it a tad irritating when people post and never return to reply...

Last edited by Tirytory; Oct 3rd 2014 at 11:50 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:20 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to like quoting Serendipity from Dogma when this type of thing comes up:
When are you people going to learn? It's not about who's right or wrong. No denomination's nailed it yet, because they're all too self-righteous to realize that it doesn't matter what you have faith in, just that you have faith. Your hearts are in the right place, but your brains gotta to wake up.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 3:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I don't watch Fox News so the reference is lost on me I'm afraid
Of course no one has to watch it (though that's a laugh missed), but not knowing what it represents is like a kid not knowing about Islam, a serious weakness in general knowledge that will inhibit one in conversation. Children need to know about the religions, and politics, that shape the world if they're going to be in with a chance of making sense of their high school classmates; nevermind the world beyond the school gates.

Finding fact based explanations of religions is a challenge though, I found the kids rolling their eyes all the time, "they believe that?" and we were still on the Church of England.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Not all religions are necessarily paths up the same mountain, but I think this option comes closest to good sense. There's a very strong bias in the way the statements are presented, however. The second one, in particular, takes a pretty fundamentalist view of a teaching of all three Abrahamic religions, which few people outside religious orders consider paramount - and is anathema to Buddhism, for instance.

Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) do share a common god - although the details of how that god is perceived vary a bit.
'To do good, refrain from evil, and purify the mind'

'There is no way to peace, peace is the way'

'My religion is kindness'

I do agree that it seems the word religion is closesly related to Christianity, and what you call the Abrahamic religions.

I know a wee lass who is stunning and intelligent and sincere. Here Father is a devout Christian and she attends Christian school, and tells me all about her religion with utmost belief and faith. A part of me feels sorry that such a smart and sincere child has been programmed like this so early on.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
When I was at Catholic School we used to raise money for CAFOD.

Some years later in Telecommunications Sales I went in to speak to the IT Director of CAFOD. He was late to the meeting after a liquid lunch.

Despite showing them a 60 percent saving in their telecom spend no deal got done.

Needless to say I look at all charities a little different after that. Far too much money wasted by people with no economic skills. Not too dissimilar from government bodies.
And in many cases, no genuine wish to do good.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sharkus
I tend to like quoting Serendipity from Dogma when this type of thing comes up:
When are you people going to learn? It's not about who's right or wrong. No denomination's nailed it yet, because they're all too self-righteous to realize that it doesn't matter what you have faith in, just that you have faith. Your hearts are in the right place, but your brains gotta to wake up.

Only Breath

Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu
Buddhist, sufi, or zen. Not any religion

or cultural system. I am not from the East
or the West, not out of the ocean or up

from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not
composed of elements at all. I do not exist,

am not an entity in this world or in the next,
did not descend from Adam and Eve or any

origin story. My place is placeless, a trace
of the traceless. Neither body or soul.

I belong to the beloved, have seen the two
worlds as one and that one call to and know,

first, last, outer, inner, only that
breath breathing human being.

From Essential Rumi
by Coleman Barks
Old Oct 4th 2014, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Teaching religion, imo, has two facets. 1.teaching 'of' this and 2. Teaching it as fact

I think the basic pre-requisite of being e.g. a Christian is a belief in the Bible, so any 'teacher' who teaches Christianity is probably going to slant to 2.

No, I do not believe any child should be taught any religion as fact. They can however, be taught of the different religions so that they are aware of the dynamics in this world.

Kudos to James too, I'm with you on the values of self-awareness, contribution to community/others etc.

When I see news of the beheadings, it's sad to see that humans can commit such heinous acts. I'm with the Dalai Lama when he said religion doesn't matter, kindness does.

I'd be happy for any teacher who knows the currency of compassion and empathy in this world.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 4:42 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing

Only Breath

Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu
Buddhist, sufi, or zen. Not any religion

or cultural system. I am not from the East
or the West, not out of the ocean or up

from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not
composed of elements at all. I do not exist,

am not an entity in this world or in the next,
did not descend from Adam and Eve or any

origin story. My place is placeless, a trace
of the traceless. Neither body or soul.

I belong to the beloved, have seen the two
worlds as one and that one call to and know,

first, last, outer, inner, only that
breath breathing human being.

From Essential Rumi
by Coleman Barks
What are the two worlds?
Old Oct 4th 2014, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

So how do you explain when your kid comes home and says "Mary next door is a Fenian isn't she ?"

Kids will learn about religion !
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:24 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing how many chirp and provide comments but only three actually answered the questions.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:43 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

1 Dunno
2 Maybe
3 Possibly
Old Oct 4th 2014, 11:01 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Amazing how many chirp and provide comments but only three actually answered the questions.
I know, some people just post links to old movies.

In any case the OP didn't post any proper questions, nor does she seem to be taking any further interest in the thread. So banter we will.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 11:05 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Old movies - pshaw. Classic movie.

Do you really blame them for not further partaking in thread?

She's probably busy watching the movie
Old Oct 4th 2014, 11:17 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Old movies - pshaw. Classic movie.

Do you really blame them for not further partaking in thread?

She's probably busy watching the movie
It did prompt me to look up the movie, as I couldn't remember the plot. Back in the day I did like the grim reaper scene I do recall. But on the whole I prefer LOB or HG.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:05 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Just watching Have I got news for you when lo and behold a clip featuring Fox News comes on.... Honestly never heard of it before and then twice in one day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.