Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"Leap and the net will appear."

"Leap and the net will appear."

Old Nov 23rd 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Leap and the net will appear."

What a great story. I just want to join in with wishing you all the very best for the future, and would also love to see a photo of your place! Perhaps you could write your own book about your experiences. Does the Mayor make a cake for everyone's birthday?
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vinegarboy
Am unsure where to post, but I'd like to in some small way pay the BE community back by sharing from my actual experiences, having myself taken-up PR here in western Canada earlier this year (after having availed myself of all of the freely-given immigration advice contained here on BE, which definitely saved me a lot of money in lawyer/advocate fees, as various compatriots' kind & helpful BE posts gave me the confidence to DIY for AINP, CIC, etc.).

Well, my AB employer "re-structured" (forced to by their chief creditor bank) just six days after I landed at YEG to take-up PR; so I promptly found myself jobless less than a week after arriving in Canada on my tod (with no family in North America).

Rather than renting a place in a town/city, I hopped onto "Kijiji" to look at houses for sale & I ended-up using $16k of the savings I'd brought with me to pay cash outright for a small cottage (+ the standard house-block it's on) in a small village (<100 pop.), for which the annual 'property tax' is only ~$600-/yr; with me knowing no-one there in the village at all (i.e., being completely 'networkless', if that's a word yet) & having no job/s lined-up in the village/area, at all. This then was my risk-taking "Leap" into the unknown in my new/adopted country.

I also spent (again via "Kijiji") just under $2k of my savings to buy an old 2WD petrol pick-up truck, into which I put an old camper-trailer ($500-) for weight over the drive wheels (i.e., traction in winter), as well as for its roadside 'put-the-kettle-on' convenience, of course.

So for just on $20k (i.e., incl. associated costs such as pre-purchase house inspection, home/vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, etc.) I got myself set up here in western Canada, with no mortgage, no rent, or any payments to have to make, other than monthly running costs (i.e., food, petrol, utilities, etc.).

On the income front, I've steadily managed to pick-up several local part-time jobs (all 'blue-collar') which are all walking-distance from my home, and which altogether will bring in enough money to pay all of my monthly bills, with a bit to spare. So I've gained a first foot-hold in my new country, and am not in debt to anyone or beholden to a landlord.

I've found rural Canadians to be lovely people, and they're definitely more 'British' (respectful, considerate, pioneer-spirited, stoic, kind, etc.) than either Americans or Australians (I've lived & worked in both).

So I guess that the essence of my message here is for anyone who might be frightened/worried by the unknowns/risks of coming to Canada: "Leap and the net will appear." My post's title is what's written-up as a Zen saying on a fridge magnet I have here in my cottage.
Well done mate, who dares wins , I like it!!
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 6:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
It doesn't even need to be "renewed". You just need to get a new PR card every 5 years IF you are planning on traveling outside Canada. If not then you don't even need to bother. Its not a "renewable" status as in you have it forever basically unless you violate the residence conditions. And in 3 years you'll be eligible for Canadian citizenship anyways so its no bother.
I call it "renewed". You still have to complete some forms and pay them quite a few dollars.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I call it "renewed". You still have to complete some forms and pay them quite a few dollars.
Yes, but the renewal is not obligatory, if you don't do it you just can't leave the bloody place
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 6:50 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yes, but the renewal is not obligatory, if you don't do it you just can't leave the bloody place
Yes.

Not the sort of thing that you are wise to let lapse if you have family and friends abroad.
Old Nov 24th 2014, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Yes.

Not the sort of thing that you are wise to let lapse if you have family and friends abroad.
Correct
Old Nov 24th 2014, 5:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

WOW.

You have my utmost admiration for going forth and making a new life for yourself, against all the odds. You have that pioneer 'never say die' spirit!

Well done that man.

Old Nov 24th 2014, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
WOW.

You have my utmost admiration for going forth and making a new life for yourself, against all the odds. You have that pioneer 'never say die' spirit!

Well done that man.

Thanks Siouxie.

And also thanks again for your excellent & patient advice/suggestions/support in the immigration forum on here last year, back when I was struggling with CIC/Ottawa's claimed non-receipt of my U.S./FBI police check, which they were indeed promptly able to locate after I persisted (via e-mails & phone calls) in 'jollying along' the little bureaucrat to get off his/her tail & actually go look in their mailroom/files (as opposed to them having lazily sent me an e-mail telling me to go get another U.S./FBI police check done & to them "within thirty days" or they'd axe my application).

Anyhow, I got here & I love this wonderful country & its people. Cheers.