Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"Leap and the net will appear."

"Leap and the net will appear."

Old Nov 23rd 2014, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Leap and the net will appear."

Am unsure where to post, but I'd like to in some small way pay the BE community back by sharing from my actual experiences, having myself taken-up PR here in western Canada earlier this year (after having availed myself of all of the freely-given immigration advice contained here on BE, which definitely saved me a lot of money in lawyer/advocate fees, as various compatriots' kind & helpful BE posts gave me the confidence to DIY for AINP, CIC, etc.).

Well, my AB employer "re-structured" (forced to by their chief creditor bank) just six days after I landed at YEG to take-up PR; so I promptly found myself jobless less than a week after arriving in Canada on my tod (with no family in North America).

Rather than renting a place in a town/city, I hopped onto "Kijiji" to look at houses for sale & I ended-up using $16k of the savings I'd brought with me to pay cash outright for a small cottage (+ the standard house-block it's on) in a small village (<100 pop.), for which the annual 'property tax' is only ~$600-/yr; with me knowing no-one there in the village at all (i.e., being completely 'networkless', if that's a word yet) & having no job/s lined-up in the village/area, at all. This then was my risk-taking "Leap" into the unknown in my new/adopted country.

I also spent (again via "Kijiji") just under $2k of my savings to buy an old 2WD petrol pick-up truck, into which I put an old camper-trailer ($500-) for weight over the drive wheels (i.e., traction in winter), as well as for its roadside 'put-the-kettle-on' convenience, of course.

So for just on $20k (i.e., incl. associated costs such as pre-purchase house inspection, home/vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, etc.) I got myself set up here in western Canada, with no mortgage, no rent, or any payments to have to make, other than monthly running costs (i.e., food, petrol, utilities, etc.).

On the income front, I've steadily managed to pick-up several local part-time jobs (all 'blue-collar') which are all walking-distance from my home, and which altogether will bring in enough money to pay all of my monthly bills, with a bit to spare. So I've gained a first foot-hold in my new country, and am not in debt to anyone or beholden to a landlord.

I've found rural Canadians to be lovely people, and they're definitely more 'British' (respectful, considerate, pioneer-spirited, stoic, kind, etc.) than either Americans or Australians (I've lived & worked in both).

So I guess that the essence of my message here is for anyone who might be frightened/worried by the unknowns/risks of coming to Canada: "Leap and the net will appear." My post's title is what's written-up as a Zen saying on a fridge magnet I have here in my cottage.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 12:45 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Leap and the net will appear."

Oh so very well done! I wish you my most sincerest success!
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you! That's actually really brilliant. My only question to FL/PMM/the other Canadian immi guru's on here, is, because he was laid off immediately, does this render PR invalid? Or because he's landed he's PR no matter what now.

Don't want to be a party pooper, but...

Best of luck
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 8:31 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic! What a great story. That's 21st century pioneering spirit. Why not post a photo of your house and truck!
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

vinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond reputevinegarboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks MillieF. It feels nice being here in Canada, now that I've gotten over my relocator's/immigrant's natural "transplant shock" & my assorted shelter/vehicle/job hurdles en route to reaching the point where I feel myself to be safely on first base here. And one of the biggest keys to success I'm finding is the benefits that come from taking the time to make friends among the ordinary blue-collar working folk here, who are (as in England) ever-ready to offer helpful local knowledge & advice. Cheers.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Gozit. I think I'm still legally/regulatorily PR here, despite my intended original private-sector AB contractor employer's financial troubles, & their sudden painful "re-structuring" (most unfortunately/incredibly right at the time I took up PR), during which they actually asked me to carry on working for them, but for no wages, no benefits/coverages, no expenses, no travel/mileage, etc., going forwards indefinitely in such a savings-sapping way, until such time as they might hopefully land a contract/tender out on the oilfields. I haven't looked into it from a regulatory/legal standpoint, but I reckon that since I didn't go crying to AINP/CIC, or race over to Service Canada to request any $ assistance whatsoever, or head back to YEG to fly out again, or collapse in a heap, I reckon therefore that I should be fine & still on the right side of immigration law here in Canada. But after your comment/query, I'd certainly be grateful if someone on here could weigh-in if they reckon something different. Cheers.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Well done VB.... I'm impressed. With an attitude like that you'll go far!
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Shard. Certainly you'd be correct in supposing that my cottage isn't picturesque, & that my truck isn't rust/scratches/dents-free. The one originally belonged to the railways (worker's/signalman's cottage), & the other I picked-up cheaply (still smelling of horses, cattle, & hay) from a rodeo cowboy. So yes my everyday things are 'gritty' here on first-base in Canada, but I'm simply doing the best I can with the resources at my disposal, & things definitely aren't grim in outlook. My cottage is 'rustic' (it's warm enough & pest-free), & my truck 'has character' (plus when I pop the bonnet/hood I can tell what's what). Cheers.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 11:46 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vinegarboy
Thanks Shard. Certainly you'd be correct in supposing that my cottage isn't picturesque, & that my truck isn't rust/scratches/dents-free. The one originally belonged to the railways (worker's/signalman's cottage), & the other I picked-up cheaply (still smelling of horses, cattle, & hay) from a rodeo cowboy. So yes my everyday things are 'gritty' here on first-base in Canada, but I'm simply doing the best I can with the resources at my disposal, & things definitely aren't grim in outlook. My cottage is 'rustic' (it's warm enough & pest-free), & my truck 'has character' (plus when I pop the bonnet/hood I can tell what's what). Cheers.
That's why I think what you've done is impressive. Most people (self included) wouldn't have the guts to do that. And as you say, the people are solid and they will respect your commitment to the place. It reminds me a bit of Henry David Thoreau and Walden. Definitely keep us posted on your progress! Do you have good internet in the cottage?
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 1:37 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Good for you! That's actually really brilliant. My only question to FL/PMM/the other Canadian immi guru's on here, is, because he was laid off immediately, does this render PR invalid? Or because he's landed he's PR no matter what now.

Don't want to be a party pooper, but...

Best of luck
No it doesn't.

Permanent Residency is a 5 year open permit to live and work in Canada. It is not linked to any specific job.

That would be a work permit.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 1:41 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vinegarboy
Thanks Gozit. I think I'm still legally/regulatorily PR here, despite my intended original private-sector AB contractor employer's financial troubles, & their sudden painful "re-structuring" (most unfortunately/incredibly right at the time I took up PR), during which they actually asked me to carry on working for them, but for no wages, no benefits/coverages, no expenses, no travel/mileage, etc., going forwards indefinitely in such a savings-sapping way, until such time as they might hopefully land a contract/tender out on the oilfields. I haven't looked into it from a regulatory/legal standpoint, but I reckon that since I didn't go crying to AINP/CIC, or race over to Service Canada to request any $ assistance whatsoever, or head back to YEG to fly out again, or collapse in a heap, I reckon therefore that I should be fine & still on the right side of immigration law here in Canada. But after your comment/query, I'd certainly be grateful if someone on here could weigh-in if they reckon something different. Cheers.
I admire your spirit.

Is your house near a pub? I can't imagine Hooters having a location where you are?

You are fine. Permanent Residency is valid for 5 years and entitles you to live and work in Canada. It is easily renewable as long as you are here for two or three of the five years (I forget!).
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I admire your spirit.

Is your house near a pub? I can't imagine Hooters having a location where you are?

You are fine. Permanent Residency is valid for 5 years and entitles you to live and work in Canada. It is easily renewable as long as you are here for two or three of the five years (I forget!).
It doesn't even need to be "renewed". You just need to get a new PR card every 5 years IF you are planning on traveling outside Canada. If not then you don't even need to bother. Its not a "renewable" status as in you have it forever basically unless you violate the residence conditions. And in 3 years you'll be eligible for Canadian citizenship anyways so its no bother.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 4:46 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, a warm welcome to Canada & gutsy is the only way to describe what you've done in the past 11 months since landing.

You have the makings of success, no matter what you do.

Good luck to you from this old fella

Last edited by not2old; Nov 23rd 2014 at 4:48 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again Shard. And yes, I've got excellent www, landline phone, & mobile phone connections here in the village, no problem.

Quite as you said, the villagers certainly have taken to me as a newcomer/foreigner/'New Canadian' amongst them; a couple of weeks ago, for example, the Mayor herself baked me a chocolate-frosted birthday cake with my name on it in white icing.

A bit regrettably, I never got a literature/humanities/arts education (all I ever did was tech./sci. stuff), but certainly I have heard of the name Henry David Thoreau, so now you've inspired me to request his book 'Walden' through the village Library this week.

Following your post, I read a few quotes by HDT this morning on the www, & he sounds like he'd have been a great guy to chat with over a few pints, swapping DIY gems & discussing what could be real truths, so far as we can hope to know them.

Certainly there's time to reflect here in the quiet of the evenings, while listening to either the doves/coyotes.
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks JamesM. Glad to know that I'm not an immigration outlaw after doing what I figured to be the best I could for myself following what occurred to me shortly after landing here in Canada. No doubt an example of CIC's undeniable wisdom in strongly suggesting that each new arrival have at least six months' worth of savings stored-up (& then some additional for emergencies) on arrival day here in Canada.

And yes, there's a pub which is just a stone's throw away from my cottage, and the proprietress doesn't mind me going in for a beer/meal in my work clothes (coveralls, gumboots, & ballcap).

There's also a bakery here in the village, along with a small grocery store, the Post Office, a petrol station, a hockey rink, and a few other assorted businesses, too. And of course you're right: there's no 'Hooters', hehe. Closest town is a couple of hour's drive away, & the closest big city is four hours' drive away.

One key thing I've discovered so far about living in a small rural community is that many local jobs are only advertised locally, or by word-of-mouth among locals, hence the importance of getting out & making local friendships/acquaintanceships asap after arrival.

Another thing that I've observed here is that a good many Canadian breadwinners seem to have lucrative fly-in/out jobs up north on weekly rotations (e.g., 7days on, 7days off), while their families are growing-up in the safety of a small rural community.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.