Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Interesting post Brexit development

Interesting post Brexit development

Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting post Brexit development

Originally Posted by Shard
....wouldn't the EU see this as the ultimate "cake and eat it" affording Brits mobility rights
Maybe there's a bigger picture. I'm not sure what I've said here or on the thread in Spain but....

The proposal is about citizens of former member countries and even if Britain did slam the door, other leavers may not.

Of course, the EU likely doesn't want any leavers and it might be argued that if a major objection of ordinary people to leaving is the loss of right to live in another EU country and by retaining that right, there may be less of an obstacle for a country to leave.

On the other hand there's a general acceptance that the experience of people living in other countries is good for all parties. And they are contributing so why wouldn't the remaining EU nations want that to continue? It might look a bit petty to say "well if you don't want our people there, we don't want your people here." Don't we like to be above that sort of thing?

While the EU doesn't want countries to leave, it's probably fair to say they'd welcome leavers back. Wouldn't that path be easier and, perhaps, more likely if the citizens of a departing country remained EU citizens?

Doesn't it say an awful lot about Canadian politics that Brexit and the US election generates more activity?
Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I would have preferred Nice area, France but "Vancouver style" prices, ya know?
Our daughter is doing a year of university in Nice now and we're going for Christmas. Just send a cheque made out to me and I'll put down a deposit on a villa on the Cote D'Azur for you.

From the Fundy Riviera to the French Riveira.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

The proposal is about citizens of former member countries and even if Britain did slam the door, other leavers may not.

Doesn't it say an awful lot about Canadian politics that Brexit and the US election generates more activity?
Oh, I didn't realise it was former citizens only.

It does say something about Canadian politics, mind you, apart from Caretaker, we're not exactly an unbiased crowd here (with respect to UK politics). I find Canadian politics deathly dull, I suppose that's the byproduct of having a relatively stable, cohesive and well functioning country.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 2:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Our daughter is doing a year of university in Nice now and we're going for Christmas. Just send a cheque made out to me and I'll put down a deposit on a villa on the Cote D'Azur for you.
Here's a blank one. Just fill in the details.

Although property was mostly expensive, I remember seeing a studio apartment advertised that my equity would have covered and it appeared to be part of the Negresco hotel building as use of guest facilities was mentioned.

I was in Nice the first week of December once. Very nice.

Loads of the bars and cafes still had their outside areas open which I found hard to believe from a distance but it's still nice enough with the outdoor heaters. When the sun's out sometimes screens were enough.

We went to Cannes intending to go to the Carlton for a pot of tea on the Terrace but it was closed. Over the road and along a bit there was a restaurant with a sort of patio actually on the beach. They had screens up, no heater and we had lunch there. I sat in a short sleeved T-Shirt and got tanned arms in the time we were there in the warm sun. It was like summer.

From the Fundy Riviera to the French Riveira.

Oh, I didn't realise it was former citizens only.
Here's a bit from the guardian:
The amendment...proposes a European associate citizenship “for those who feel and wish to be part of the European project but are nationals of a former member state”.

The amendment suggests that associate citizenship should “offer these associate citizens the rights of freedom of movement and to reside on its territory, as well as being represented in the parliament through a vote in the European elections on the European lists”.

I find Canadian politics deathly dull, I suppose that's the byproduct of having a relatively stable, cohesive and well functioning country.
And usually little to choose between the options available so there's never really any disappointment. No missed chance for something enlightened, for example, because there's no enlightened option to begin with.

Although I have seen some positives over the last couple of years, mainly locally.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I think an interesting legal position

Currently I'm living in the UK as a British citizen and at this time I am also a EU citizen

Does the UK leaving > remove my right to EU citizenship ?

what this considers is my choice to ask to retain it

The UK assumes that you want to retain your citizenship when you adopt another one, however the US doesn't and expect you to hold only one !

this would allow many to hold both a UK and EU citizenship post Brexit, why is this so odd ? its fit many normal national citizenships
and I would imagine it would only apply to those alive during EU membership

Standard legal stuff IMHO
USA permits dual citizenship as does Canada and UK.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 1:37 am
Oscar nominated

I did a bit of googling to get other views on this proposal. One of the results coming up was the Daily Express.

Its report was headed something about wanting cake and eating it, so no bias there then.

Despite that they ran a poll - good thing or bad thing.

Despite the bias of their reporting, 70% thought it a good thing.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 2:39 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
USA permits dual citizenship as does Canada and UK.
Sorry

the 'Official' correct position of the US Gov is The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.

the UK and Canada support Dual Citizenship
Old Nov 11th 2016, 5:21 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry

the 'Official' correct position of the US Gov is The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.

I think that's correct. I hear that renouncing your US citizenship is viewed pretty much as burning the flag whilst chanting communist workers songs.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 6:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I think that' s correct. I hear that renouncing your US citizenship is viewed pretty much as burning the flag whilst chanting communist workers songs.
I know someone who did this when becoming a Danish citizen. The US embassy sent people to chat to her, make her realise the error of her ways. Also an old school friend married a US serviceman and "they" weren't pleased when she refused to apply for US citizenship.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:06 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Boris Johnson had to renounce his US citizenship. I don't think the authorities shed any tears.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Indonesia, where I'm currently living till spring/summer, doesn't permit dual-citizenship.

An Indonesian was the CEO of a major USA Energy Company and acquired USA citizenship but he didn't renounce his Indonesian Citizenship....which is basically a crime.
Recently he was sworn in as the Minister of Energy in Indonesia ....then someone found out he was an American and he was fired from that Cabinet job.
He subsequently relinquished his USA Citizenship and passport, regained his Indonesian one, and is now the Deputy Minister of Energy.

...go figure these countries.
They should permit dual-citizenship so those smart Indonesians, that were educated abroad and became citizens, could return and help the country develop.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 2:07 pm
Yo

Davita, totally off topic, but I read that in Indonesia, there is very little concern for those two young women that were killed in Hong Kong by the psycho British banker? Is that true? Are the Indonesians really the judgemental?
Old Nov 12th 2016, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita, totally off topic, but I read that in Indonesia, there is very little concern for those two young women that were killed in Hong Kong by the psycho British banker? Is that true? Are the Indonesians really the judgemental?
Off topic but interesting that you know about it but here it hardly touched the news...abuse like that happens a lot with so many Indonesian maids working abroad. There is little protection from the Gov't.
It is terrible but people here are more worried about the recent rally/almost riot where an extreme Muslim group are determined to overthrow the elected Governor of Jakarta because he's a Chinese Indonesian and Christian....he has done a great job but those religious nuts get so incited to mob rule.
Someone is pulling their string as they get a small payment to attend these 'so-called' rallies...and cause damage.
I suggest not visiting Jakarta anytime soon.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 4:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry

A matter of semantics. Dual citizenship is the state of holding two or more citizenship concurrently. It can be legal or illegal under nationality law of the state in question. US, Canadian and British nationality law permit you to hold an additional citizenship. Whether the US Government 'encourages' it or not is irrelevant.

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I think that's correct. I hear that renouncing your US citizenship is viewed pretty much as burning the flag whilst chanting communist workers songs.
Exercising your First Amendment rights does not lead to loss of citizenship.

Boris Johnson had to renounce his US citizenship. I don't think the authorities shed any tears.
Boris has claimed to have renounced his US citizenship on several occasions now but I suspect it's highly likely he has never followed through.
Old Nov 12th 2016, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Boris has claimed to have renounced his US citizenship on several occasions now but I suspect it's highly likely he has never followed through.
Maybe Boris is angling after a Trump cabinet position...he could represent him at foreign meetings as a look-alike. Most Asian officials wouldn't know the difference...they think all 'gaijin' 'gweilo' 'bule' 'infidels' look alike anyway.

And just maybe he's looking at the top job after Trump...he is eminently suitable as he didn't pay IRS taxes either...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.