British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   I have succumbed... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/i-have-succumbed-932966/)

Jerseygirl Jun 1st 2020 3:41 pm

I have succumbed...

At last I have given in to buying milk in plastic bags and putting said bag into one of those purpose made white jugs. :eek:

I works surprisingly well. :o

BristolUK Jun 1st 2020 3:48 pm

Re: I have succumbed...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860740)
At last I have given in to buying milk in plastic bags and putting said bag into one of those purpose made white jugs. :eek:

It can work if the jug is tall enough otherwise the problem is when you're about half way through. Sometimes you tip to pour and if the upper part of the bag flops over the top, more milk than you want comes out.

You can stop it happening by holding the corner that's not cut off, as you pour. But it's not terribly convenient.

I've always preferred the cartons, even if it works out a bit more. But for the last couple of months we've been buying bags and freezing them. However, I've been using empty and washed (of course) orange juice bottles, transferring from the bags using a funnel.

Jerseygirl Jun 1st 2020 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12860747)
It can work if the jug is tall enough otherwise the problem is when you're about half way through. Sometimes you tip to pour and if the upper part of the bag flops over the top, more milk than you want comes out.

You can stop it happening by holding the corner that's not cut off, as you pour. But it's not terribly convenient.

I've always preferred the cartons, even if it works out a bit more. But for the last couple of months we've been buying bags and freezing them. However, I've been using empty and washed (of course) orange juice bottles, transferring from the bags using a funnel.

I haven’t used half the bag yet, so I will take your tip on board when I get halfway down.

I buy skimmed milk and have always bought it in cartons. Now I am having difficulty getting skimmed in cartons, so decided to try the bagged milk. At first I washed out a carton and using a funnel, transferred the milk from the bag into the carton. Now I’ve succumbed to just putting the bag in the jug.

BristolUK Jun 1st 2020 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860754)
At first I washed out a carton and using a funnel, transferred the milk from the bag into the carton. Now I’ve succumbed to just putting the bag in the jug.

The other thing with bags is the 'snip' may not work as well as you'd like and the milk may not pour well.

Had one just the other day - a constant trickle ran down the side of the bag and onto my hand as I poured into the funnel. Another few seconds and it would have run up my arm. That's horrible getting cold liquid up there, especially if there's a sleeve to keep reminding you it's wet.:thumbdown:

It does help if you have more than one pair of hands. As a woman you have that advantage. ;)

Former Lancastrian Jun 1st 2020 4:25 pm

No plastic bags of milk where I live it is all in cartons or plastic containers so no need to snip anything. Must live in a 3rd world country or Province/State.

scilly Jun 1st 2020 4:55 pm

Haven't seen plastic bags in years, all cartons or bottles here.

We did try them when they first came out here well over 20 years ago (sometime in the early or mid 90s). Apart from the problems cited by Bristol, we found there was a distinct unpleasant taste to the 1% and 2% milk that we were then using. We only tried them for 2 or 3 weeks, then went back to cartons. The white jug might still be somewhere in the basement.

Rete Jun 1st 2020 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860740)

My sister-in-law swore by them for years. I loved the look of it when we would visit and the idea that less plastic was used in today's world.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 1st 2020 5:15 pm

I found the milk in bags odd during my time in Ontario, never did like them. Glad we just have cartons and jugs here in BC.

dbd33 Jun 1st 2020 6:06 pm

They haven't worked for me since they metircated the bags and not the jugs, lots of flopping and spillage now.

Jerseygirl Jun 1st 2020 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12860807)
They haven't worked for me since they metircated the bags and not the jugs, lots of flopping and spillage now.

oh no :ohmy:...is flopping and spillage something I have to look forward to? :eek:

dbd33 Jun 1st 2020 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860812)
oh no :ohmy:...is flopping and spillage something I have to look forward to? :eek:

I don't know how old you are. Your milk should be fine, if your jug is recent it'll be metricated like the bags.

Jerseygirl Jun 1st 2020 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12860814)
I don't know how old you are. Your milk should be fine, if your jug is recent it'll be metricated like the bags.

:lol:

phew...that’s a relief.

bats Jun 1st 2020 8:02 pm

Just bash the jug on the counter top a few times to get the bag to move all the way down. Don't snip too much.
that's it. No biggie.

BristolUK Jun 1st 2020 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12860848)
Just bash the jug on the counter top a few times to get the bag to move all the way down. Don't snip too much.
that's it. No biggie.

Done all that.
Here's a picture of pouring milk just before the bag flops and spills. :lol:

I just remembered...sometimes you want to stop pouring so you level the jug but the gravity of the milk overhanging the jug keeps it coming.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e83029206d.jpg

The jug needs to be taller.

This looks nice

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...4e1fd8cbcb.jpg

caretaker Jun 1st 2020 10:14 pm

It's too hard, never caught on in Saskatchewan.