British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   I have succumbed... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/i-have-succumbed-932966/)

scilly Jun 2nd 2020 3:16 am

Re: I have succumbed...

The jug we had way back when was higher, and had much more of a lip on the pouring side.

It was the taste that we couldn't stand.

Plus, of course it was just more plastic to add to the waste, no recycling of the empty bags or jugs in those days.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 2nd 2020 3:24 am

I have no idea how many of our milk jugs actually end up recycled, we put them in the bin for recycling but not everything that goes in recycling bins ends up recycled, but thin plastic like those milk bags can't be recycled via our blue bin (at least in our condo, not sure about single family home curbside) so I guess jugs are a bit better. I wouldn't mind going back to glass milk bottles, Avalon I think still does it, or they used to anyhow, but their milk is so expensive so I never bought it.

We actually had a milk man when I was growing up, but plastic jugs, but every week, 4 1/2 gallon jugs appeared on the porch for morning.

Teaandtoday5 Jun 3rd 2020 1:32 am

Absolutely the worst thing about bagged milk is the hidden collection of little cut off corners in the scissor drawer because apparently on the rare occasion someone is forced to change the bag, rather than leaving a little dribble, putting the corner in the bin is simply a step too far.

BristolUK Jun 3rd 2020 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12861363)
Absolutely the worst thing about bagged milk is the hidden collection of little cut off corners in the scissor drawer

:rofl:
Ours just fly.
The one advantage of the jug is that you can snip without worrying about wastage. If I'm transferring the milk to a separate bottle (OJ with a screwtop lid) I hold one corner with my left hand and snip with the other hand, my best one. But then it's the wrong way round to pour and changing hands is a bit of a rigmarole. Makes me think of this billiard cue scene

Jerseygirl Jun 3rd 2020 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12861363)
Absolutely the worst thing about bagged milk is the hidden collection of little cut off corners in the scissor drawer because apparently on the rare occasion someone is forced to change the bag, rather than leaving a little dribble, putting the corner in the bin is simply a step too far.

:eek: are clipped plastic corners in places they shouldn’t be something I have to look forward to?

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12861486)
:rofl:
Ours just fly.
The one advantage of the jug is that you can snip without worrying about wastage. If I'm transferring the milk to a separate bottle (OJ with a screwtop lid) I hold one corner with my left hand and snip with the other hand, my best one. But then it's the wrong way round to pour and changing hands is a bit of a rigmarole. Makes me think of this billiard cue scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsSD6_V2IYk

I tried decanting the milk into one of those cardboard milk cartons with the opening on the angled top (the ones with the plastic screw on lid). There was no easy way to do this. First I tried pouring direct from bag into carton...milk everywhere. Then I used a funnel but it kept slipping and again, the milk went everywhere. I tried to wedge the funnel into the hole but that didn’t work either.

BristolUK Jun 3rd 2020 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12861506)
I tried decanting the milk into one of those cardboard milk cartons with the opening on the angled top (the ones with the plastic screw on lid). There was no easy way to do this. First I tried pouring direct from bag into carton...milk everywhere. Then I used a funnel but it kept slipping and again, the milk went everywhere. I tried to wedge the funnel into the hole but that didn’t work either.

This is probably where the juice bottle has an advantage. It's a little more sturdy than a carton and the top is wider than a carton hole. The funnel does move if the pouring milk is off centre but it stays in place.

The hole on a carton is already angled and I suppose the funnel is more likely to slip out because of that. The bottle top is level.

dbd33 Jun 3rd 2020 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12861506)
:eek: are clipped plastic corners in places they shouldn’t be something I have to look forward to?

Siphon it, like you're stealing petrol. Carton on the floor, bag on the counter in a jug, pierce the bag, push the tube in, suck and shove, remember to remove tube before carton overflows.

BristolUK Jun 3rd 2020 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12861532)
Siphon it, like you're stealing petrol. Carton on the floor, bag on the counter in a jug, pierce the bag, push the tube in, suck and shove, remember to remove tube before carton overflows.

Does that work for unleaded milk?

iaink Jun 4th 2020 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860740)
At last I have given in to buying milk in plastic bags and putting said bag into one of those purpose made white jugs. :eek:

I works surprisingly well. :o

Congratulations. Bienvenue au Canada:p

We miss bagged milk. Gallon jugs down south are heavy and unwieldy and dont freeze very well. And very non eco friendly. mind you in SC they recycle bugger all so I guess its all the same . Cant even recycle glass.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 4th 2020 1:32 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 12861774)
Congratulations. Bienvenue au Canada:p

We miss bagged milk. Gallon jugs down south are heavy and unwieldy and dont freeze very well. And very non eco friendly. mind you in SC they recycle bugger all so I guess its all the same . Cant even recycle glass.

Is the think plastic widely recyclable in Ontario? We have jugs in BC like the US has so dunno if those little bags are easily recycled or not.

Teaandtoday5 Jun 4th 2020 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12861784)
Is the think plastic widely recyclable in Ontario? We have jugs in BC like the US has so dunno if those little bags are easily recycled or not.

The little inside bags aren’t, but around here the outer bags are collected by elementary schools, and high school kids make them into mats used in hospitals in the third world

Like this sort of thing

MillieF Jun 4th 2020 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12861794)
The little inside bags aren’t, but around here the outer bags are collected by elementary schools, and high school kids make them into mats used in hospitals in the third world

Like this sort of thing

Yes we had a ‘recycling’ day in our local park last ‘not winter’ and they were doing all sorts of good things with milk bags.

l wonder how many of us opened BE and shot to your post JG desperate to see what might have been up to...;)

Atlantic Xpat Jun 5th 2020 12:25 pm

Bagged milk is a mainland Canada affectation. Here in the Far East, milk only comes in 1L or 2L Tetrapaks. They are recyclable in the kerbside garbage pick up along with other sundry plastic containers. Juice tetrapaks going in with the booze recycling as a deposit is payable on them. (Like beer bottles etc).

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 5th 2020 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12862350)
Bagged milk is a mainland Canada affectation. Here in the Far East, milk only comes in 1L or 2L Tetrapaks. They are recyclable in the kerbside garbage pick up along with other sundry plastic containers. Juice tetrapaks going in with the booze recycling as a deposit is payable on them. (Like beer bottles etc).

So no bagged milk in the far east where you are. No bagged milk in BC, and I never saw it in Alberta when I lived there.

We know ON has bagged milk, does Quebec as well?

Anyone in MB or SK can let us know how milk is sold.

caretaker Jun 5th 2020 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12862434)
Anyone in MB or SK can let us know how milk is sold.

Tetra/cardboard or plastic jugs, no bags. I recall bags for a brief period in the late 60's or early 70's but they didn't last. We pay deposit and get it back upon recycling.