British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   I have succumbed... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/i-have-succumbed-932966/)

Jerseygirl Jun 1st 2020 3:41 pm

I have succumbed...

At last I have given in to buying milk in plastic bags and putting said bag into one of those purpose made white jugs. :eek:

I works surprisingly well. :o

BristolUK Jun 1st 2020 3:48 pm

Re: I have succumbed...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860740)
At last I have given in to buying milk in plastic bags and putting said bag into one of those purpose made white jugs. :eek:

It can work if the jug is tall enough otherwise the problem is when you're about half way through. Sometimes you tip to pour and if the upper part of the bag flops over the top, more milk than you want comes out.

You can stop it happening by holding the corner that's not cut off, as you pour. But it's not terribly convenient.

I've always preferred the cartons, even if it works out a bit more. But for the last couple of months we've been buying bags and freezing them. However, I've been using empty and washed (of course) orange juice bottles, transferring from the bags using a funnel.

Jerseygirl Jun 1st 2020 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12860747)
It can work if the jug is tall enough otherwise the problem is when you're about half way through. Sometimes you tip to pour and if the upper part of the bag flops over the top, more milk than you want comes out.

You can stop it happening by holding the corner that's not cut off, as you pour. But it's not terribly convenient.

I've always preferred the cartons, even if it works out a bit more. But for the last couple of months we've been buying bags and freezing them. However, I've been using empty and washed (of course) orange juice bottles, transferring from the bags using a funnel.

I haven’t used half the bag yet, so I will take your tip on board when I get halfway down.

I buy skimmed milk and have always bought it in cartons. Now I am having difficulty getting skimmed in cartons, so decided to try the bagged milk. At first I washed out a carton and using a funnel, transferred the milk from the bag into the carton. Now I’ve succumbed to just putting the bag in the jug.

BristolUK Jun 1st 2020 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860754)
At first I washed out a carton and using a funnel, transferred the milk from the bag into the carton. Now I’ve succumbed to just putting the bag in the jug.

The other thing with bags is the 'snip' may not work as well as you'd like and the milk may not pour well.

Had one just the other day - a constant trickle ran down the side of the bag and onto my hand as I poured into the funnel. Another few seconds and it would have run up my arm. That's horrible getting cold liquid up there, especially if there's a sleeve to keep reminding you it's wet.:thumbdown:

It does help if you have more than one pair of hands. As a woman you have that advantage. ;)

Former Lancastrian Jun 1st 2020 4:25 pm

No plastic bags of milk where I live it is all in cartons or plastic containers so no need to snip anything. Must live in a 3rd world country or Province/State.

scilly Jun 1st 2020 4:55 pm

Haven't seen plastic bags in years, all cartons or bottles here.

We did try them when they first came out here well over 20 years ago (sometime in the early or mid 90s). Apart from the problems cited by Bristol, we found there was a distinct unpleasant taste to the 1% and 2% milk that we were then using. We only tried them for 2 or 3 weeks, then went back to cartons. The white jug might still be somewhere in the basement.

Rete Jun 1st 2020 5:05 pm

My sister-in-law swore by them for years. I loved the look of it when we would visit and the idea that less plastic was used in today's world.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 1st 2020 5:15 pm

I found the milk in bags odd during my time in Ontario, never did like them. Glad we just have cartons and jugs here in BC.

dbd33 Jun 1st 2020 6:06 pm

They haven't worked for me since they metircated the bags and not the jugs, lots of flopping and spillage now.

Jerseygirl Jun 1st 2020 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12860807)
They haven't worked for me since they metircated the bags and not the jugs, lots of flopping and spillage now.

oh no :ohmy:...is flopping and spillage something I have to look forward to? :eek:

dbd33 Jun 1st 2020 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12860812)
oh no :ohmy:...is flopping and spillage something I have to look forward to? :eek:

I don't know how old you are. Your milk should be fine, if your jug is recent it'll be metricated like the bags.

Jerseygirl Jun 1st 2020 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12860814)
I don't know how old you are. Your milk should be fine, if your jug is recent it'll be metricated like the bags.

:lol:

phew...that’s a relief.

bats Jun 1st 2020 8:02 pm

Just bash the jug on the counter top a few times to get the bag to move all the way down. Don't snip too much.
that's it. No biggie.

BristolUK Jun 1st 2020 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12860848)
Just bash the jug on the counter top a few times to get the bag to move all the way down. Don't snip too much.
that's it. No biggie.

Done all that.
Here's a picture of pouring milk just before the bag flops and spills. :lol:

I just remembered...sometimes you want to stop pouring so you level the jug but the gravity of the milk overhanging the jug keeps it coming.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e83029206d.jpg

The jug needs to be taller.

This looks nice

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...4e1fd8cbcb.jpg

caretaker Jun 1st 2020 10:14 pm

It's too hard, never caught on in Saskatchewan.

scilly Jun 2nd 2020 3:16 am

The jug we had way back when was higher, and had much more of a lip on the pouring side.

It was the taste that we couldn't stand.

Plus, of course it was just more plastic to add to the waste, no recycling of the empty bags or jugs in those days.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 2nd 2020 3:24 am

I have no idea how many of our milk jugs actually end up recycled, we put them in the bin for recycling but not everything that goes in recycling bins ends up recycled, but thin plastic like those milk bags can't be recycled via our blue bin (at least in our condo, not sure about single family home curbside) so I guess jugs are a bit better. I wouldn't mind going back to glass milk bottles, Avalon I think still does it, or they used to anyhow, but their milk is so expensive so I never bought it.

We actually had a milk man when I was growing up, but plastic jugs, but every week, 4 1/2 gallon jugs appeared on the porch for morning.

Teaandtoday5 Jun 3rd 2020 1:32 am

Absolutely the worst thing about bagged milk is the hidden collection of little cut off corners in the scissor drawer because apparently on the rare occasion someone is forced to change the bag, rather than leaving a little dribble, putting the corner in the bin is simply a step too far.

BristolUK Jun 3rd 2020 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12861363)
Absolutely the worst thing about bagged milk is the hidden collection of little cut off corners in the scissor drawer

:rofl:
Ours just fly.
The one advantage of the jug is that you can snip without worrying about wastage. If I'm transferring the milk to a separate bottle (OJ with a screwtop lid) I hold one corner with my left hand and snip with the other hand, my best one. But then it's the wrong way round to pour and changing hands is a bit of a rigmarole. Makes me think of this billiard cue scene

Jerseygirl Jun 3rd 2020 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12861363)
Absolutely the worst thing about bagged milk is the hidden collection of little cut off corners in the scissor drawer because apparently on the rare occasion someone is forced to change the bag, rather than leaving a little dribble, putting the corner in the bin is simply a step too far.

:eek: are clipped plastic corners in places they shouldn’t be something I have to look forward to?

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12861486)
:rofl:
Ours just fly.
The one advantage of the jug is that you can snip without worrying about wastage. If I'm transferring the milk to a separate bottle (OJ with a screwtop lid) I hold one corner with my left hand and snip with the other hand, my best one. But then it's the wrong way round to pour and changing hands is a bit of a rigmarole. Makes me think of this billiard cue scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsSD6_V2IYk

I tried decanting the milk into one of those cardboard milk cartons with the opening on the angled top (the ones with the plastic screw on lid). There was no easy way to do this. First I tried pouring direct from bag into carton...milk everywhere. Then I used a funnel but it kept slipping and again, the milk went everywhere. I tried to wedge the funnel into the hole but that didn’t work either.

BristolUK Jun 3rd 2020 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12861506)
I tried decanting the milk into one of those cardboard milk cartons with the opening on the angled top (the ones with the plastic screw on lid). There was no easy way to do this. First I tried pouring direct from bag into carton...milk everywhere. Then I used a funnel but it kept slipping and again, the milk went everywhere. I tried to wedge the funnel into the hole but that didn’t work either.

This is probably where the juice bottle has an advantage. It's a little more sturdy than a carton and the top is wider than a carton hole. The funnel does move if the pouring milk is off centre but it stays in place.

The hole on a carton is already angled and I suppose the funnel is more likely to slip out because of that. The bottle top is level.

dbd33 Jun 3rd 2020 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12861506)
:eek: are clipped plastic corners in places they shouldn’t be something I have to look forward to?

Siphon it, like you're stealing petrol. Carton on the floor, bag on the counter in a jug, pierce the bag, push the tube in, suck and shove, remember to remove tube before carton overflows.

BristolUK Jun 3rd 2020 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12861532)
Siphon it, like you're stealing petrol. Carton on the floor, bag on the counter in a jug, pierce the bag, push the tube in, suck and shove, remember to remove tube before carton overflows.

Does that work for unleaded milk?

iaink Jun 4th 2020 1:03 am

Congratulations. Bienvenue au Canada:p

We miss bagged milk. Gallon jugs down south are heavy and unwieldy and dont freeze very well. And very non eco friendly. mind you in SC they recycle bugger all so I guess its all the same . Cant even recycle glass.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 4th 2020 1:32 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 12861774)
Congratulations. Bienvenue au Canada:p

We miss bagged milk. Gallon jugs down south are heavy and unwieldy and dont freeze very well. And very non eco friendly. mind you in SC they recycle bugger all so I guess its all the same . Cant even recycle glass.

Is the think plastic widely recyclable in Ontario? We have jugs in BC like the US has so dunno if those little bags are easily recycled or not.

Teaandtoday5 Jun 4th 2020 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12861784)
Is the think plastic widely recyclable in Ontario? We have jugs in BC like the US has so dunno if those little bags are easily recycled or not.

The little inside bags aren’t, but around here the outer bags are collected by elementary schools, and high school kids make them into mats used in hospitals in the third world

Like this sort of thing

MillieF Jun 4th 2020 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12861794)
The little inside bags aren’t, but around here the outer bags are collected by elementary schools, and high school kids make them into mats used in hospitals in the third world

Like this sort of thing

Yes we had a ‘recycling’ day in our local park last ‘not winter’ and they were doing all sorts of good things with milk bags.

l wonder how many of us opened BE and shot to your post JG desperate to see what might have been up to...;)

Atlantic Xpat Jun 5th 2020 12:25 pm

Bagged milk is a mainland Canada affectation. Here in the Far East, milk only comes in 1L or 2L Tetrapaks. They are recyclable in the kerbside garbage pick up along with other sundry plastic containers. Juice tetrapaks going in with the booze recycling as a deposit is payable on them. (Like beer bottles etc).

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 5th 2020 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12862350)
Bagged milk is a mainland Canada affectation. Here in the Far East, milk only comes in 1L or 2L Tetrapaks. They are recyclable in the kerbside garbage pick up along with other sundry plastic containers. Juice tetrapaks going in with the booze recycling as a deposit is payable on them. (Like beer bottles etc).

So no bagged milk in the far east where you are. No bagged milk in BC, and I never saw it in Alberta when I lived there.

We know ON has bagged milk, does Quebec as well?

Anyone in MB or SK can let us know how milk is sold.

caretaker Jun 5th 2020 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12862434)
Anyone in MB or SK can let us know how milk is sold.

Tetra/cardboard or plastic jugs, no bags. I recall bags for a brief period in the late 60's or early 70's but they didn't last. We pay deposit and get it back upon recycling.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 5th 2020 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12862466)
Tetra/cardboard or plastic jugs, no bags. I recall bags for a brief period in the late 60's or early 70's but they didn't last. We pay deposit and get it back upon recycling.

So seems less a mainland Canada thing and more a ON & Quebec thing?

BC excludes milk and milk replacement containers from the deposit program, but they can be left in the curbside recycling bin for pick up.

4 liter water jug in the same kind of jug as milk though has a deposit.

There was a brand that was selling milk shelf stable in tetra paks here (maybe still there) I tried it once, tasted funny and wasn't the same so never bought it again, it was also more expensive per ML vs regular milk in the coolers.

We have milk in cartons and jugs.

500ml, 1 liter and 2 liter typically are cartons although there are 2 liter in plastic as well, 4 liters is only in jugs.

Often the 2 liter carton costs more than the 2 liter jug, but price per liter 4 is the best value, the smaller quantities costs more per liter generally.

There also smaller brands in glass bottles, and some brand called Fair Life is using different kind of bottle.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...9b1dd87647.jpg

scilly Jun 6th 2020 3:37 am

The long life Tetrapaks are still available .............. they don't need putting in the fridge until opened, so are useful as an emergency supply in pantry, earthquake emergency packs. or for camping.

Siouxie Jun 6th 2020 4:13 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12862662)
The long life Tetrapaks are still available .............. they don't need putting in the fridge until opened, so are useful as an emergency supply in pantry, earthquake emergency packs. or for camping.

UHT Milk - (also known as Shelf Stable Milk or Homogenized Milk) will keep up to 6 months unopened.. I used to keep a couple of them in my cupboard when I lived in the UK, but as I don't use milk in anything now, I haven't bothered here.

scrubbedexpat091 Jun 6th 2020 4:22 am

Milk will be the last of my worries in an emergency. I tried it that one time and never tried it again as I disliked the taste so much, it does not taste like regular milk at all. I drink very little milk in general, well I never drink it, I just use some in baking and on cereal.

Suppose it may not be sold at our local Nor Frills so could be why I never see it, it was Save On where I used to see back when we lived in Chilliwack and Squamish. No Frills tends to stock only fast turn over items, they are not a full service grocery store.

Jerseygirl Jun 6th 2020 12:32 pm

good grief I cannot stand that stuff. :sick:

scilly Jun 7th 2020 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12862749)
good grief I cannot stand that stuff. :sick:

forgot to say that we had the SOY milk Tetrapak, not ordinary milk!!

I'm now so used to the fact that we never buy more than 1 1-litre box of 1% milk for OH every 2 weeks, if not longer (he only has it in his morning coffee). The only "milk" we buy in any quantity is the Soy and I forget to specify that sometimes. You can't freeze Soy milk ............ it says that on the box, we didn't believe it, tried it, and it was true!.

You can't stand milk in Tetrapaks ............. I couldn't stand it in the plastic bags! Those bags certainly didn't go down well in this province!

Jerseygirl Jun 29th 2020 7:49 pm

Invested in a posh super duper, no spill milk jug. :lol:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...26f6e3c62.jpeg

Former Lancastrian Jun 29th 2020 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12873771)

Until you drop it and milk spills all over the floor and it has a crack in it that cant be repaired so you gotta go out and buy another. Yup I am being extremely positive today.

Teaandtoday5 Jun 29th 2020 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12873771)

v swish, does it work? (Like your tiles)

Former Lancastrian Jun 29th 2020 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12873838)
v swish, does it work? (Like your tiles)

She will probably come back and say No as it is too nice to put milk into it :rofl: