I have succumbed...

Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default I have succumbed...

At last I have given in to buying milk in plastic bags and putting said bag into one of those purpose made white jugs.

I works surprisingly well.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have succumbed...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
At last I have given in to buying milk in plastic bags and putting said bag into one of those purpose made white jugs.

It can work if the jug is tall enough otherwise the problem is when you're about half way through. Sometimes you tip to pour and if the upper part of the bag flops over the top, more milk than you want comes out.

You can stop it happening by holding the corner that's not cut off, as you pour. But it's not terribly convenient.

I've always preferred the cartons, even if it works out a bit more. But for the last couple of months we've been buying bags and freezing them. However, I've been using empty and washed (of course) orange juice bottles, transferring from the bags using a funnel.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It can work if the jug is tall enough otherwise the problem is when you're about half way through. Sometimes you tip to pour and if the upper part of the bag flops over the top, more milk than you want comes out.

You can stop it happening by holding the corner that's not cut off, as you pour. But it's not terribly convenient.

I've always preferred the cartons, even if it works out a bit more. But for the last couple of months we've been buying bags and freezing them. However, I've been using empty and washed (of course) orange juice bottles, transferring from the bags using a funnel.
I haven’t used half the bag yet, so I will take your tip on board when I get halfway down.

I buy skimmed milk and have always bought it in cartons. Now I am having difficulty getting skimmed in cartons, so decided to try the bagged milk. At first I washed out a carton and using a funnel, transferred the milk from the bag into the carton. Now I’ve succumbed to just putting the bag in the jug.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 4:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

At first I washed out a carton and using a funnel, transferred the milk from the bag into the carton. Now I’ve succumbed to just putting the bag in the jug.
The other thing with bags is the 'snip' may not work as well as you'd like and the milk may not pour well.

Had one just the other day - a constant trickle ran down the side of the bag and onto my hand as I poured into the funnel. Another few seconds and it would have run up my arm. That's horrible getting cold liquid up there, especially if there's a sleeve to keep reminding you it's wet.

It does help if you have more than one pair of hands. As a woman you have that advantage.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No plastic bags of milk where I live it is all in cartons or plastic containers so no need to snip anything. Must live in a 3rd world country or Province/State.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't seen plastic bags in years, all cartons or bottles here.

We did try them when they first came out here well over 20 years ago (sometime in the early or mid 90s). Apart from the problems cited by Bristol, we found there was a distinct unpleasant taste to the 1% and 2% milk that we were then using. We only tried them for 2 or 3 weeks, then went back to cartons. The white jug might still be somewhere in the basement.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 5:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My sister-in-law swore by them for years. I loved the look of it when we would visit and the idea that less plastic was used in today's world.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I found the milk in bags odd during my time in Ontario, never did like them. Glad we just have cartons and jugs here in BC.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

They haven't worked for me since they metircated the bags and not the jugs, lots of flopping and spillage now.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dbd33
They haven't worked for me since they metircated the bags and not the jugs, lots of flopping and spillage now.
oh no ...is flopping and spillage something I have to look forward to?
Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

oh no ...is flopping and spillage something I have to look forward to?

I don't know how old you are. Your milk should be fine, if your jug is recent it'll be metricated like the bags.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know how old you are. Your milk should be fine, if your jug is recent it'll be metricated like the bags.

phew...that’s a relief.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Just bash the jug on the counter top a few times to get the bag to move all the way down. Don't snip too much.
that's it. No biggie.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:55 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
Just bash the jug on the counter top a few times to get the bag to move all the way down. Don't snip too much.
that's it. No biggie.
Done all that.
Here's a picture of pouring milk just before the bag flops and spills.

I just remembered...sometimes you want to stop pouring so you level the jug but the gravity of the milk overhanging the jug keeps it coming.

The jug needs to be taller.

This looks nice

Old Jun 1st 2020, 10:14 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's too hard, never caught on in Saskatchewan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.