Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Homelessness issues in Canada

Homelessness issues in Canada

Old May 26th 2018, 12:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homelessness issues in Canada

This type of story happens every time housing for homeless is proposed, people the housing will be near complain, and so the politicians vote in down and the cycle just keeps on going.

Pentiction this time, the city claimed homelessness as a major issue last year, BC Housing proposed building 63 units with 24/7 support staff, the city council voted it down.

So now instead of having 63 people living indoors this winter with support staff and getting assistance they need, these folks will remain on the street, because apparently its better to have people living on the streets in back alleys of the city with no support staff instead of living inside with support staff and getting help and hopefully off the street.

And people will always ask if I would want homeless living next to me, yes I would have no issues with homeless having housing next to mine, I would prefer the homeless to have shelter then living in the back alley or sleep on the side walk in front of the building we are in.

These city councils will complain, then a provincial housing agency comes up with a solution and the city votes it down, seems nothing can actually get accomplished in BC to solve the problems, its all talk and no action.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4231998/d...edium=Facebook
Old May 26th 2018, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homelessness issues in Canada

J ...........

it's known as the NIMBY syndrome

Not In My Back Yard

Like you, I would rather see these complexes being built

But some of these temporary housing (ca 5 years) are being put on city or government owned land with very little consultation by BC Housing with locals. And I think that is what is upsetting people and leading to protests (eg the one in Marpole last year), and even to councils turning down the offer

There is also the attitude "we don't have any homeless in our area/town, so we don't need housing" ..... hello! Open your eyes!!
Old May 26th 2018, 9:43 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

One of the biggest issues with homelessness is the Kafakesque (not to belabour the term) situation with public authorities not permitting housing / temporary housing to be built, unless it meets high standards, which vastly increases the cost, and undermines the project. There should be a 'emergency' standard which allows simple, low standard shelters to be built, for those that are truly homeless. Exemptions of legal liability.

Quite impressed with this design. A lower spec version would provide some on the streets a necessary address and modicum of security.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...housing-crisis
Old May 26th 2018, 1:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Quite impressed with this design. A lower spec version would provide some on the streets a necessary address and modicum of security.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...housing-crisis
Uncannily like those in this thread

Old May 26th 2018, 3:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Oh yes, indeed. I don't go to the Canada forum much, but I will have a read of that !
Old May 27th 2018, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the ones the BC Government are planning as temporary houses in this current round are modified shipping containers!

It may sound awful, but the first one was set up in Vancouver about 2-3 years ago, and it looks terrific! It's called the Atira Housing, and is for women only

About Oneesan Container Housing | Atira Women's Resource Society

They are stacked 2 - 3 "storeys" high, and are intended to be removed in about 3-5 years for further development of the site

This is one that is intended for First Nations people ............

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/02/17/M...mes-Vancouver/

It really does look like that ............ and is still in good condition.

It takes 6-8 months from start to move-in.
Old May 27th 2018, 10:40 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Shipping containers were partitioned into crude rooms and used to house fast-food employees ("Wendy Workers") in Vancouver at least 15 or more years ago, but there was little effort put into making them nice, or even legal. When I was out there and my friend told me about it, it was considered more of a scandal than an innovation.
Old May 27th 2018, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is now a company in the Okanagan that is making these, and there are some REALLY spiffy ones that individuals can buy as cabin (if allowed) ....... but they also seem to be making these for the BC Housing. The photos that I've seen of the interiors look pretty nice ...... small yes, but good for one person, and give privacy with their own small kitchen and bathroom.

These housing developments also have on-site support staff to help the people moving in straight off the street, providing help with addictions, health problems (which are mainly mental), getting into the next level of housing, etc.

I understand that the aim is not that people stay in these units for ever ............. most of them are being put on sites that are planned fro development within the next 3-5 or 7 years.
Old May 28th 2018, 6:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 29th 2018, 5:42 am
Account Closed

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...mpire-of-poor/

Article related to the topic.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 29th 2018 at 5:47 am.