Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The Spiderman of Paris

The Spiderman of Paris

Old May 28th 2018, 11:22 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Spiderman of Paris

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rescuing-child

Old May 28th 2018, 1:34 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Spiderman of Paris

He was wonderful, but what I don't understand is why the adult at the top was standing there quite so dork like for so long? You'd think he might have tried some form of movement wouldn't you.

It's nice as 'Spiderman' is now going to meet Macron, and be given every assistance to settle in France!

Last edited by MillieF; May 28th 2018 at 1:35 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 28th 2018, 3:49 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine you're at floor level and you have a head for heights and you're fit and healthy enough to be able to climb four stories on the outside of a building and the building itself allows you to climb quickly and you see a child hanging from the building and you see an adult male just a few feet from the child, What would you do?

Would you, could you immediately leap up the building or would you stand back and shout at the man to grab the child?

There's a lot not on this video and what we see is only part of the story. Obvious questions are: Why did the man do nothing? How did the child get to where he was without falling? How did the child manage to hang on for so long? What was happening at ground level to catch the child should he fall? Why did noone enter the building to get to the child from the inside?

The child and his family were fortunate that the climber was there, given the best will in the world, I couldn't have done it.

Edit: Closer inspection of the video shows two people at the same level but they are separated from the child by a partition so I'm answering some of my own questions. I'm not sure that I'd be able to climb around the partition at that height, but I might look to climb over it. Even so, I have a fear of heights and I very likely would have stood by being physically unable to overcome my fear and do anything about it.

Last edited by dave_j; May 28th 2018 at 4:01 pm.
Old May 28th 2018, 4:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
He was wonderful, but what I don't understand is why the adult at the top was standing there quite so dork like for so long? You'd think he might have tried some form of movement wouldn't you.
I think the partition prevented him from doing anything. During the video you get to see the partition on a lower level and it looks like it fully meets the wall. I think he is already leaning out too far to get any leverage if he takes hold of the kid - who is probably not going to release his grip to allow him to grab his arm.

So it would likely mean him having to climb over himself.
Old May 28th 2018, 5:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

So impressive to see such a brave and fit young guy scale that building in mere seconds. France's quick recognition of the feat and decision to offer residency is also commendable.

The toddler was obviously hanging on for his life. It seemed toward the end he was inching closer to the adjacent balcony, but definitely a dangerous situation.
Old May 28th 2018, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

That man must be in good shape, or a natural at climbing. Regardless good he was able to assist the child and prevent the child from falling.
Old May 28th 2018, 10:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice as 'Spiderman' is now going to meet Macron, and be given every assistance to settle in France!
Sniff, sniff...smells like a set up to me.
Old May 29th 2018, 12:40 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

They'll all be at it now, coming over on boats, making dramatic rescues of children just to get citizenship and a job. They should use proper channels like the rest of us.
Old May 29th 2018, 1:09 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sniff, sniff...smells like a set up to me.
I am sincerely hoping it doesn't, and it's a really good thing for France to see foreign nationals rescuing their children! My only concern is that who in heaven's name doesn't vault over, or around, the party wall when a kid (that is presumably known, if not precious) is on the other side dangling towards doom...I am not keen on heights and even at my Zenith was no where near this young man's fitness level but I'd still have given it a good old try...or gone trying (quite literally) it's automatic. You don't stand doing nothing whilst the witnesses wail. What this kid was doing dangling needs to be investigated....
Old May 29th 2018, 1:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am sincerely hoping it doesn't, and it's a really good thing for France to see foreign nationals rescuing their children! My only concern is that who in heaven's name doesn't vault over, or around, the party wall when a kid (that is presumably known, if not precious) is on the other side dangling towards doom...I am not keen on heights and even at my Zenith was no where near this young man's fitness level but I'd still have given it a good old try...or gone trying (quite literally) it's automatic. You don't stand doing nothing whilst the witnesses wail. What this kid was doing dangling needs to be investigated....
How could a child that old/size hang on like that? Unless someone was behind the balcony wall holding on to him. Maybe it’s a coincidence the balcony wasn’t glass.
Old May 29th 2018, 1:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How could a child that old/size hang on like that? Unless someone was behind the balcony wall holding on to him. Maybe it’s a coincidence the balcony wasn’t glass.
I reddit elsewhere that

"the dad was out to buy some groceries (and ran late because he's one of the few people still playing Pokemon Go (for real)). The neighbor said in an interview that he was in a bad position to grab him because there was a barrier right next to him, and he felt like he wouldn't be able to lift the kid properly and was terrified to make him fall off. He said "I wanted to act cautiously".
The neighbor thought that the kid looked like he wasn't in "immediate" danger, in the sense that he wasn't hanging from his hand but still had his feet onto the side of the balcony, and in the 10s it took him to assess the situation ****ing spiderman came in and power-lifted the kid like it was nothing.
The dad lost custody of the kid, who's with the social services now."
Old May 29th 2018, 2:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dbd33
I reddit elsewhere that

"the dad was out to buy some groceries (and ran late because he's one of the few people still playing Pokemon Go (for real)). The neighbor said in an interview that he was in a bad position to grab him because there was a barrier right next to him, and he felt like he wouldn't be able to lift the kid properly and was terrified to make him fall off. He said "I wanted to act cautiously".
The neighbor thought that the kid looked like he wasn't in "immediate" danger, in the sense that he wasn't hanging from his hand but still had his feet onto the side of the balcony, and in the 10s it took him to assess the situation ****ing spiderman came in and power-lifted the kid like it was nothing.
The dad lost custody of the kid, who's with the social services now."
Sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff...
Old May 29th 2018, 9:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff...
Where are you on the moon landings?
Old May 29th 2018, 10:26 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
They'll all be at it now, coming over on boats, making dramatic rescues of children just to get citizenship and a job. They should use proper channels like the rest of us.
Yeah, the guy was out of order. He should have let the kid drop and die. It's a plot I tell you, a plot
Old May 29th 2018, 10:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dbd33
Where are you on the moon landings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.