Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

has the time come for a black santa ?

has the time come for a black santa ?

Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

koalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: has the time come for a black santa ?

Originally Posted by orly
So that's a no then?

Few too many thin skins around these days I think

I'm not religious but if I decided to dress up as the Pope and someone said "Don't you know the Pope is a Catholic? What are you doing wearing that?" the easy responses are "Yes I do" and "Because I wanted to".

Not "OMFG YOU <insert whatever -ist you like> HOW DARE YOU TELL ME THE POPE IS A CATHOLIC!"

Maybe it's just me...I'd find more important things to worry about.
It makes me sad to hear someone accusing others of being thin skinned; I think it's good when people think what it's like to be someone else and stand up against prejudice.

We are discussing a young child anyway, not an old and thick skinned adult.

It wasn't about you, and it wasn't about religion; it was about racial prejudice against a young child by his teacher.

If you can't see that is an important thing then I am glad I don't know you personally.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:36 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

So that's a no then?

Few too many thin skins around these days I think

I'm not religious but if I decided to dress up as the Pope and someone said "Don't you know the Pope is a Catholic? What are you doing wearing that?" the easy responses are "Yes I do" and "Because I wanted to".

Not "OMFG YOU <insert whatever -ist you like> HOW DARE YOU TELL ME THE POPE IS A CATHOLIC!"

Maybe it's just me...I'd find more important things to worry about.
Suggesting little kids 'get over it' when their teachers a racist eh? At best that's just ignorance.

Last edited by Alan2005; Dec 19th 2013 at 7:41 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:37 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
A black child was ridiculed
Go on...post the conversation. You're hinting that you were there.

Last edited by orly; Dec 19th 2013 at 7:41 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:41 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
This is just ignorance.
Not really. I left a country where there is a significant class of people who feign offense at just about anything.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. I left a country where there is a significant class of people who feign offense at just about anything.
No really it is - in fact I'll go further and say its wilfull. The teacher was racist, and yet here you are being an apologist for it. Saying its not that important and no big deal.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:45 pm
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by Alan2005
No really it is - in fact I'll go further and say its wilfull. The teacher was racist, and yet here you are being an apologist for it. Saying its not that important and no big deal.
You are entitled to have wrong opinions. I'll not hold it against you because it's your right.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

koalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond reputekoalabear1 has a reputation beyond repute

Go on...post the conversation. Please.
It was reported in the article linked to by the OP. Ridiculed was indeed one of the words used to describe what happened.

I realise articles can be anecdotal as they often only have one source, but that is (and in the absence of a full transcript) the basis of our discussion.

I can accept (sadly) that you can't see the difference between you as an adult possibly being told not to dress up as the Pope, and a young child being ridiculed for dressing up as Santa because he was black and the teacher's image of Santa is of a white man.

It is really sad that in this day and age, some people are still racist. I find all prejudice unacceptable.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

You sound rather bitter. Your bitterness is overshadowing your ability to think clearly.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:54 pm
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by koalabear1
You sound rather bitter. Your bitterness is overshadowing your ability to think clearly.
I'm probably one of the happiest people you could ever hope to meet. I live in a nice city in a nice country. I have a great wife and family. I'm healthy. I have a good job. I work hard and do what's right by my friends/folks. In much the same way as most people posting here probably are. I also happen to be aware of my luck. If I was bitter about my lot in life I'd need to get my head checked.

I've said what I think about this piece. I have no problem with a black kid dressing up as Santa because I don't care. But at the same time I'm not going to go on a witch hunt after a teacher based on what are clearly 2nd or 3rd hand remarks on an internet article.

A number of people in this thread seem to be getting hot under the collar. I find that slightly funny. If you think the teacher is some evil racist based on an article that has one side of the story then that's your choice. I find that bordering on the ridiculous.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What about elves?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

I'm probably one of the happiest people you could ever hope to meet. I live in a nice city in a nice country. I have a great wife and family. I'm healthy. I have a good job. I work hard and do what's right by my friends/folks. In much the same way as most people posting here probably are. I also happen to be aware of my luck. If I was bitter about my lot in life I'd need to get my head checked.

I've said what I think about this piece. I have no problem with a black kid dressing up as Santa because I don't care. But at the same time I'm not going to go on a witch hunt after a teacher based on what are clearly 2nd or 3rd hand remarks on an internet article.

A number of people in this thread seem to be getting hot under the collar. I find that slightly funny. If you think the teacher is some evil racist based on an article that has one side of the story then that's your choice. I find that bordering on the ridiculous.
What I think this thread really reveals is how much people care or don't care about the feelings of others, how much people are willing or not willing to stand up against injustice and how much "I'm all right Jack" type thinking there is.

You have clearly stated you are doing great, ok, that's nice for you, but of course we might not believe that - just as someone might not necessarily believe the article. There is little, if any, difference in the reliability of the source.

Actually the article wasn't that distant, but the boy's father's comments. As I have posted earlier, this is clearly somewhat anecdotal, but it was nevertheless the basis for the discussion.

If people don't speak up against wrong, then things won't change for the better.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:07 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

It seems the school board would disagree with you. The teacher concerned has been disciplined and the child in question placed in another class. "2nd or 3rd hand remarks on an internet article" is your attempt, I suppose, to belittle the story by dismissing its source? About 10 seconds on Google would have indicated the story has been covered by pretty much every significant news outlet in the US, well over 300 sources for news articles concerning the school named in the OP. The school's principal, the chair of the education board, a parent of the child concerned, have all been quoted directly and on the record.

The teacher made fun of a kid because he's black. It was clearly not acceptable to do so. Why is it that you think there is anything funny here?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:08 pm
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by Oink
What about elves?
If you're a bit short and have pointy ears then go right ahead. Otherwise, beware of the over-zealous teacher who is approaching Hitler in terms of evil.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:09 pm
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Why is it that you think there is anything funny here?
I think you've been here too long.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
What about elves?

They're gay, so no problem!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.