Groceries

Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Cream last week was 2.00 each or 1.99 each if you bought 2, wow talk about savings...
A penny here, a penny there...
Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone else do what I do, I wonder? When they are selling multi packs of chicken at a set price (usually $10), I check the weight of each pack.. I've bought packs that weigh 1.3kg for the same price as 870gm, It's worth looking very carefully as usually it means the equivalent of an additional chicken breast - free!

Old Nov 25th 2017, 9:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind No Frills for the most part, I don't buy meat or produce though as it's never a very good price, and the Asian markets up the street have better looking meat/produce and prices so I go there instead.

. . .

The issue I have with No Frills is the store is small (compared to Save On, Safe Way, Super Store.) and is very busy so it's not an ideal place to shop when you don't do well in crowded places, luckily they have a few times in the day where it's slower, right when they open at 9am or around 8pm and 2-3pm is usually okay as well.

. . .
I suppose the stuff they [No Frills] have in boxes and tins would be okay, it's just "we're" not buying stuff in boxes or tins anymore.

Me too. My eyes start stinging, ears ringing and I get a general feeling of nausea. HID calls it my existential shudder. Fortunately the solution is usually to get the hell out of there and pop into a quiet pub/bar.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 10:54 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I suppose the stuff they [No Frills] have in boxes and tins would be okay, it's just "we're" not buying stuff in boxes or tins anymore.

Me too. My eyes start stinging, ears ringing and I get a general feeling of nausea. HID calls it my existential shudder. Fortunately the solution is usually to get the hell out of there and pop into a quiet pub/bar.
We are shopping in No Frills again. This retirement lark is great apart from the pay. There's a really very pleasant No Frills 40 minutes drive from us. It doesn't fit any of the usual criteria and even has a pharmacy, and a housewares section.
its really quite pleasant.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Does anyone else do what I do, I wonder? When they are selling multi packs of chicken at a set price (usually $10), I check the weight of each pack.. I've bought packs that weigh 1.3kg for the same price as 870gm, It's worth looking very carefully as usually it means the equivalent of an additional chicken breast - free!

I do that.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 12:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
We are shopping in No Frills again. This retirement lark is great apart from the pay. There's a really very pleasant No Frills 40 minutes drive from us. It doesn't fit any of the usual criteria and even has a pharmacy, and a housewares section.
its really quite pleasant.
No Frills stores differ enormously by location. The ones in small towns, e.g. Shelburne, Mount Forest, are clean with wide spaced aisles and fresh fruit and vegetables. The downside is that they stock what people in small towns eat and we don't. The No Frills on Parliament in Toronto is another world, dirty with narrow aisles and a constant battle between the staff and the homeless. The latter wander in and chew things (fresh goods more than canned), the former chase them out and put the items back on the shelves so customers must always check for bite marks.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 12:50 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Since it is Loblaws owned you really have to pay attention to the price labels since Loblaws is really good at having a price in larger print then smaller print says when bought in multiples of 2
Really? I've never seen that at Superstore.

When a multi-purchase deal is involved it's the complete opposite. The big print makes it very clear what the multiple is - ie 2 for $6 - and it's the smaller print that tells you $3.99 each.

I do find it weird that sometimes Pepsi will be 4 for $5 or $1.25 each.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 1:33 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
No Frills stores differ enormously by location. The ones in small towns, e.g. Shelburne, Mount Forest, are clean with wide spaced aisles and fresh fruit and vegetables. The downside is that they stock what people in small towns eat and we don't. The No Frills on Parliament in Toronto is another world, dirty with narrow aisles and a constant battle between the staff and the homeless. The latter wander in and chew things (fresh goods more than canned), the former chase them out and put the items back on the shelves so customers must always check for bite marks.
Very good. I'll remember that piece of advice.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 12:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone else do what I do, I wonder? When they are selling multi packs of chicken at a set price (usually $10), I check the weight of each pack.. ..
Do you mean the marked weight or you weigh them on store scales?

Walmart is the only place that consistently does that here and I never find their prices worth it unless it's further reduced.
Sometimes the other stores do a $5 pack but when it's sitting next to packs sold by weight and at a glance you can tell the best value, then that guides my choice.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 12:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've not found teeth marks to be a hazard but now, weirdly, I want to find some
Old Nov 26th 2017, 7:45 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Although placing well down on the list now, tourtiere was for decades considered to be the iconic Canadian dish. St. Hubert Tourtiere, $5 or so on sale at No Frills. I bought 3 and I may go back.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker
Although placing well down on the list now, tourtiere was for decades considered to be the iconic Canadian dish. St. Hubert Tourtiere, $5 or so on sale at No Frills. I bought 3 and I may go back.
I think that just about sums it up.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 11:04 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
...St. Hubert Tourtiere, $5 or so on sale at No Frills.
And very good it is too. Much nicer than the Acadian version also available here.

St Hubert pies are generally pretty good, just not worth full price. Ditto the A Table ones but Superstore don't sell them anymore. Chicken Forestiere was always my fave.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 3:08 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And very good it is too. Much nicer than the Acadian version also available here.

St Hubert pies are generally pretty good, just not worth full price. Ditto the A Table ones but Superstore don't sell them anymore. Chicken Forestiere was always my fave.
One of the Dollar stores here had St Hubert Chicken Forestiere canned soup and one with chicken and pasta. Not available for months now but I keep checking. I like to keep a few cans of that as well as the beef barley and some ramen packets in my locker at work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.