Groceries

Old Jul 8th 2020, 9:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
You love the instacart
Not as much as I like IGA. I can make almost the same savings with them that I can normally, in person, with Superstore/Sobeys because they do charge flyer prices, unlike instacart. They also have stuff the main stores here don't have.
I've decided that Superstore using instacart is a dead loss. At least with Walmart some of the stuff via instacart is the same as you'd pay if actually there.
I bet you tip better than most in Vancouver too, our average tip last week was $2.87
Maybe it's different for me not being a driver. There's normally a cost to me in getting my groceries back by taxi that a driver doesn't have. So even though the higher prices make the instacart method of shopping more than it would be in person, I feel I can offset that a bit and make a bigger tip.

Even though nobody is there to see me, I'd be embarrassed to give the sort of tips you mention. I don't have to wear a mask, I don't have to take a chance on other people, I don't have to go out in the rain or heat (and snow/ice if it continues) and as long as they do a decent job (they do) the least I can do is make a decent tip.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Not as much as I like IGA. I can make almost the same savings with them that I can normally, in person, with Superstore/Sobeys because they do charge flyer prices, unlike instacart. They also have stuff the main stores here don't have.
I've decided that Superstore using instacart is a dead loss. At least with Walmart some of the stuff via instacart is the same as you'd pay if actually there.

Maybe it's different for me not being a driver. There's normally a cost to me in getting my groceries back by taxi that a driver doesn't have. So even though the higher prices make the instacart method of shopping more than it would be in person, I feel I can offset that a bit and make a bigger tip.

Even though nobody is there to see me, I'd be embarrassed to give the sort of tips you mention. I don't have to wear a mask, I don't have to take a chance on other people, I don't have to go out in the rain or heat (and snow/ice if it continues) and as long as they do a decent job (they do) the least I can do is make a decent tip.
I am quickly learning vancouverites for the most part do not like to tip....

But I have only delivered in Vancouver area, dunno how others are tip wise.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My IGA delivery receipt today showed the food cost me $108 saving just over $70, or 40%.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 9:37 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to trying some Canadian Kraft

Old Jul 24th 2020, 7:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Instacart has added Costco to its choices here.
But I'm not impressed.

The regular Instacart prices there are mostly more than the regular Instacart prices for equivalents in the other stores.

One I did find was a multi-pack of Sensodyne toothpaste - the Repair one which is never on sale here - that saves 60c a tube but I'd probably have no teeth left before I got to the last one.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:58 pm
Oscar nominated

From another thread...
IC really doesn't care about anything beyond the 5 star rating, likely no human that cares reading anything, and the people they do employ to help shoppers are not really helpful, they just reply from a script in broken English...lol
Pretty sure they use algorithms for basically everything.
I've just run an experiment.
Using one of their previous emails - one that looks like it will get to someone as opposed to one of those 'no reply' ones - I've just asked if it's possible to get some official recognition.
And while I have their attention why do they feature the weekly flyer prices (reductions) for one chain but not a different one. Bugs the hell out of me that does.
From what I understand with regards to pricing and what IC claims, is the store set the prices and pays a fee to IC.
...As an in-person shopper I was at Superstore every week and never Walmart - although my MIL would go there once a month. On Instacart it's always Walmart and never Superstore. Been like that for months now, backed up by IGA (non Instacart) who also does flyer prices.
Maybe I should be writing to Galen Weston
I got my reply from Instacart and I have to say it does indeed seem like a bot of some sort rather than someone reading and selecting codes or something for an answer. "Thank you very much for alerting us about this. We always value shoppers who are keen to give us their feedback. I will be sure to pass on what you have told me to our managerial team" in no way matches what I was asking them and their response about the prices looks like one of those stock responses too. Like you might get on one of those 'ask us a question' features on some sites where you'll get a selection of answers to just one word that's not even a question.

So Galen it is then. Or at least Loblaws which I just did.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 1:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

When I go in the grocery store I keep my eye open for reduced price stickers, and sometimes find things I really like. Yesterday I downloaded the flashfood app from google playstore, and it shows reduced items in all the local Loblaws chain stores, except our No Frills. I think I'm going to saddle up for 8 o'clock and check a couple of places out. The salami and the cured ham are in different stores.... but I may go anyway.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 1:22 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
When I go in the grocery store I keep my eye open for reduced price stickers, and sometimes find things I really like. Yesterday I downloaded the flashfood app from google playstore, and it shows reduced items in all the local Loblaws chain stores, except our No Frills. I think I'm going to saddle up for 8 o'clock and check a couple of places out. The salami and the cured ham are in different stores.... but I may go anyway.
Yay for pink stickers. Especially in the bakery and meat areas.
We used to have a co-op and on Wednesdays it seemed half their packs of meat were half price.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 2:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Yay for pink stickers. Especially in the bakery and meat areas.
We used to have a co-op and on Wednesdays it seemed half their packs of meat were half price.
I misunderstood how flashfood works. You choose your items on the app, pay for them using credit or debit, then go to the store and pick the stuff up in the "flashfood zone" and confirm your order at customer service on the way out. https://www.flashfood.com/
It's probably better that way, actually. Someone isn't going to snipe your stuff while you're driving to the store. And so I'm in.
Edit: Just prior to stores opening, most of them reloaded the items in the app. At Superstore south, three 100g packs of Tapas Bilbao Style Salami @$1.50 and a tub of field greens and baby spinach for .40.... it says I save over $16. Superstore east (not updated yet) has the buns I want, but not going to drive out there to save a couple of dollars. The Independent in the northwest has updated, but they still have the Serrano Ham for half price ($3) and Limburger for $4.49 instead of $8.99.... but I think I'll pass. I'm cold-cut rich (No Frills has mortadella on sale), and I know I'll only eat half the Limburger and have to throw the rest out. While I'm picking up my salami and greens, I'll just keep an eye out for some kaisers or nice burger buns for later. Burger comes out of the freezing compartment now.
Edit: I just had to check the app one more time, and they'd updated, so I added a half price pizza for $3, now it must be time to go.

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 3rd 2020 at 2:30 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 3:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

One good thing about Regina is that on a holiday or during off-peak hours, you can drive anywhere in town in about 15 minutes. I went to the south end, picked up my order and was home in less than a half hour. Here's what I got for under $10 first time out on flashfood. Some of the lovely soft bocconcini I bought last week, and a little of that salami should dress that pizza right up.

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 3rd 2020 at 3:12 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Instacart has added Costco to its choices here.
But I'm not impressed.

The regular Instacart prices there are mostly more than the regular Instacart prices for equivalents in the other stores.

One I did find was a multi-pack of Sensodyne toothpaste - the Repair one which is never on sale here - that saves 60c a tube but I'd probably have no teeth left before I got to the last one.
And out my way Sensodyne brand is always on sale somewhere, I buy the same, and only do so when it's on sale, Shopper's has it on sale about every 1-2 months typically so I will buy 3-4 at once which will last me a fair amount of time.

Wal-Mart and Super Store are the places to go for discount stickers, Save On rarely discounts I find, they just pull the product at the expiry or best by date, but they will discount meat but not much else, I guess its more cost savings for them to donate/dispose of old product than to discount it.

Safeway would discount too, when I lived in Chilliwack nobody seemed to shop much at Safeway so they would have lots and lots of discounted near expiry food, could save a fortune there buying all the 50% off stuff.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 3rd 2020 at 3:35 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:08 pm
Oscar nominated

And out my way Sensodyne brand is always on sale somewhere,
Including the 'Repair and Protect' one? I only ever see the standard ones (sensitive) on offer. The Repair one is a couple of $$ more.
When I discovered it was genuinely effective - to the point as well as brushing teeth with it I used to dab and spread it on them with a finger at bedtime - I checked the ingredients and discovered that most of the other brands had a 'sensitive' version with the same ingredient - Potassium Nitrate. So I was either buying Sensodyne on offer or the other brands of the same thing, whichever was cheapest.

In time it became less effective and now I use the 'Repair' version which has a different ingredient - NovaMin - and gives the same effectiveness as the normal one used to. But I have yet to see the other brands produce one with the NovaMin.

I have assumed the lack of competition for the 'repair' version is why only the sensitive versions are reduced.

Walmart currently advertising Daily, Whitening, multi-action versions for $4.48 100 ml, but the Repair and Protect version is $6.68 and only a 75 ml size.
That's quite a price difference.$1.12 per 25ml of the ordinary one and $2.23 per 25ml of the Repair version.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Including the 'Repair and Protect' one? I only ever see the standard ones (sensitive) on offer. The Repair one is a couple of $$ more.
When I discovered it was genuinely effective - to the point as well as brushing teeth with it I used to dab and spread it on them with a finger at bedtime - I checked the ingredients and discovered that most of the other brands had a 'sensitive' version with the same ingredient - Potassium Nitrate. So I was either buying Sensodyne on offer or the other brands of the same thing, whichever was cheapest.

In time it became less effective and now I use the 'Repair' version which has a different ingredient - NovaMin - and gives the same effectiveness as the normal one used to. But I have yet to see the other brands produce one with the NovaMin.

I have assumed the lack of competition for the 'repair' version is why only the sensitive versions are reduced.

Walmart currently advertising Daily, Whitening, multi-action versions for $4.48 100 ml, but the Repair and Protect version is $6.68 and only a 75 ml size.
That's quite a price difference.$1.12 per 25ml of the ordinary one and $2.23 per 25ml of the Repair version.
Its usually around $7.99 regular price, and when on sale runs $5.99 to $6.99, currently London Drugs (I know they are not back east) out this way has it marked down $1 to $6.99, but I have seen it as low as $5.99 before.

Certainly still costs more vs other sensodyne products, but they do go on sale out this way, but still cost more even when on sale.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 5:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Novamin, the active ingredient was bought by GSK, and they stopped supplying other toothpaste companies that used it to ensure exclusivity for Sensodyne.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 8:53 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Novamin, the active ingredient was bought by GSK, and they stopped supplying other toothpaste companies that used it to ensure exclusivity for Sensodyne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.