Groceries

Old Aug 26th 2020, 9:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by caretaker
Not the finest, but at $2.50/wheel I bought 2.
Lucky you. I find them pretty good. As good as President's Choice.
Good for breakfast on crispbreads with coffee.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 1:31 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I had a nice wedge I left out, just before my salad, and there's nothing wrong with it! I'm thinking of things to do with it now. Years ago I recruited my friend chef Wilson to make the soup for a dinner in the bar. I wanted to emulate the oysters in brie with chili infused sherry a local restaurant had. It was winter, and I stopped at my friend's place in the country and caught a couple of nice fat rainbow trout through the ice on his dammed ravine to jazz it up a little. It was so good I can't even remember what the main course was. Wilson was a hell of a cook; he was from Wallasey, and in WW2 he was sent to Northern Ireland to his grandparents, and the Germans killed his dad in the merchant marine with a torpedo so when he didn't want to eat his fish they'd tell him to eat the fish because they're the fish that ate your dad, so get even. You don't usually think of brie in terms of soup, but there it is.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 3:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Ziggy's brand owned by Loblaw? President Choice is owned by Loblaw, maybe its the same thing in different packaging....

I know No Name and Presidents Choice is different as I have checked ingredients and they differ on most products I have checked, but I wonder if there is a difference between President Choice meats and cheeses vs Ziggy's, I only see Ziggy's at Loblaws owned stores and I can't find a website for Ziggys so leads me to believe Loblaws owns the brand.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 5:26 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I had a nice wedge I left out, just before my salad, and there's nothing wrong with it! I'm thinking of things to do with it now. Years ago I recruited my friend chef Wilson to make the soup for a dinner in the bar. I wanted to emulate the oysters in brie with chili infused sherry a local restaurant had. It was winter, and I stopped at my friend's place in the country and caught a couple of nice fat rainbow trout through the ice on his dammed ravine to jazz it up a little. It was so good I can't even remember what the main course was. Wilson was a hell of a cook; he was from Wallasey, and in WW2 he was sent to Northern Ireland to his grandparents, and the Germans killed his dad in the merchant marine with a torpedo so when he didn't want to eat his fish they'd tell him to eat the fish because they're the fish that ate your dad, so get even. You don't usually think of brie in terms of soup, but there it is.
Might this work for you? Sherried Oyster and Brie Soup
https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/sh...oup-recipe.htm or this one? https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/oyste...ie-soup/119578
Old Aug 27th 2020, 1:47 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Might this work for you? Sherried Oyster and Brie Soup
That's fairly close to how I make it on several points, but not exactly. Knowing how good mine is I wouldn't change anything. One thing I wouldn't put in it is a whole cup of chopped onions. When cooking any kind of fish you have to be careful not to overpower the flavours with too much onion or garlic. Instead of cayenne I'll use a couple of those little red Thai chilis to infuse the sherry as well. You make the soup with some straight sherry, then each diner adds the pepper sherry to taste. Orleans, (the restaurant where I first had this) was a very popular little bistro for a few years, but I think most people ordered blackened redfish instead of the oyster stew just because that's what celebrity chefs were doing on television. Last week a pint of shucked oysters showed up on the flashfood app (briefly), and if I see another come up I'll probably grab it and make this. One thing I may do differently is use some of the milk and water broth from poaching kippers to lend it a bit of smokey flavour. It works so well for clam chowder I'd try it with oysters [might experiment with that on a small batch first, and use less of it than with clam chowder].
Edit: I just scored a (must be a small one) whole dressed steelhead on flashfood so I can see experimenting with this, in lieu of oysters.

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 27th 2020 at 3:15 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 4:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Still nice and firm and smelling good! It's always a bit of a gamble but this one should be fine; straight from their fridge to my cooler bag to my fridge. My price on flashfood $2.56. Now I need a chili and some sherry, and maybe swing by my friend's yard for some fresh chives.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 5:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Still nice and firm and smelling good! It's always a bit of a gamble but this one should be fine; straight from their fridge to my cooler bag to my fridge. My price on flashfood $2.56. Now I need a chili and some sherry, and maybe swing by my friend's yard for some fresh chives.
That's a great price.. shame flashfood isn't in my area https://www.flashfood.com/en/locations/home
Old Aug 27th 2020, 6:06 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That's a great price.. shame flashfood isn't in my area https://www.flashfood.com/en/locations/home
I'm lucky because of the 6 stores involved in Regina, 4 of them actually have stuff posted regularly. Discounts vary, and one store will want $3 for the $6 tub of baby spinach, and another will let it go for .60. What is it, and do I want it, and does it justify the trip? Before getting my fish at Superstore customer service this morning, I grabbed 2 bags of coffee beans that were on sale for $9 (I'd been paying $14 or $12 at No Frills) so combined the tasks. I think flashfood might have been around for awhile, but I didn't hear about it until a few weeks ago. It looks like this: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=canonical&...ages&ia=images

I just checked the app, and south end Superstore posted a $16 wheel of triple cream Le Bonaparte brie for $5 I'm brie rich so can't touch it!

Last edited by caretaker; Aug 27th 2020 at 6:15 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Isn't Ziggy's brand owned by Loblaw? President Choice is owned by Loblaw, maybe its the same thing in different packaging....
Looks like it is part of Loblaws but looking at package images, the moisture content differs.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 4:33 pm
Oscar nominated

I had an IGA delivery scheduled between 10.00 and 12.00 and Instacart for between 12.00 and 2.00.

We got to the point I was concerned they might both be here at the same time and there was going to be a stand-off.

Grocery delivery wars.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Attorney General for District of Columbia is suing insta-cart for deceptive service fees and failure to pay sales tax.

Looks like IC in the US was adding on optional service fees and making it appear they were tips to the workers, when it was simply just using the "optional" fees as an added revenue source and they also failed to pay the appropriate sales tax on the fees.

"“Instacart tricked district consumers into believing they were tipping grocery delivery workers when, in fact, the company was charging them extra fees and pocketing the money,” said Racine. “Instacart used these deceptive fees to cover its operating costs while simultaneously failing to pay D.C. sales taxes. "

https://www.theproducenews.com/news-...ying-sales-tax

Old Aug 28th 2020, 6:43 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Attorney General for District of Columbia is suing insta-cart for deceptive service fees and failure to pay sales tax...
Looks like they were pulling a few fast ones in the early days like that other one reported of including the tip towards wage.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

Looks like they were pulling a few fast ones in the early days like that other one reported of including the tip towards wage.
Indeed they were, and apparently also not paying the relevant taxes.....

I assume they provide the full tip to the shoppers now, but whose to know really, IC could for anyone knows be skimming tips still, no real way for the shopper to know if the tip shown is the actual tip the customer chose.
Old Aug 28th 2020, 11:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Years ago Leonard from Halifax taught me how to make cod cakes, and I just bought 2 1lb packages of Chelsea brand boned salt cod (reg $12.99) for $2 ea on flashfood. Earlier in the week I was considering getting some at $6, so glad I waited. There are more on offer, but 2 should be plenty to start.
My neighbour works in the store where they are, so I just texted her, she phoned and they put it in her cooler so I don't even have to drive there tonight.
The hardest part of making cod cakes is de-boning the fish, so I'm looking forward to seeing how these boneless ones are.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 4:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

The prosciutto I got from Wholesale Club on the flashfood app is so good (and so cheap) I bought another package, then went and bought a cantaloupe so I can try the prosciutto-wrapped melon thing. Expectations are high. It's so good on pizza or just by itself it doesn't matter though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.