Groceries

Old Jul 12th 2018, 7:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by bats

well, have you tried your freaky freekeh yet? It has gluten so I won't be trying it but way back when when I did eat gluten i had ebly, wheat berries, in France and enjoyed it. We had it served plain as a side and as a pilaff, risotto type thing.

Not yet, I've been on posh red and white quinoa with wheat berries the last few days (another new thing for me) and quite enjoyed it. Going to try the freekeh next week!
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 10:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes you have to be really careful. There's one particular Sobeys store here - it's closest to me but I prefer others - that leaves a lot to be desired.

Get there before 9.00am and there are gaps in displays where they've not put things out yet or some prices contradict the flyers. Or at the checkout you discover they've applied a limit on a particular item without saying so in the flyer or in the store. Today there should have been a BOGOF deal on Compliments ASAs but the notice was on something different. Nobody in the pharmacy was free to check.

The worst thing though were the tomatoes. Beefsteak toms @ $4.99 so I passed by those and came to two further sections of Hothouse toms @ $1.99. I was about to bag some when I thought hang on, they look the same as the others.

I looked at the number on the sticker and every tomato in all three sections had the same sticker. And, of course, the number corresponded to the sign with the $4.99 price. Of course there was nobody around to speak too - something else noticeable about this store.

So I've done my usual email complaint and I expect to get the usual general response about sometimes stock is short or whatever which completely ignores the nature of the different complaints I just made and the fact it's always that store, not the others.

Why do I go there I hear you ask. Because sometimes I don't need much or maybe there are only a couple of "give-away" things worth stocking up on. Like today, Pepsi was 99c for a 2L bottle and chickens were $1.99lb and there was a good deal on shrimps. It's my closest store and the taxi back is a few $$ less than the alternative store. For a bigger trip I'll pay the extra.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 2nd 2018 at 10:52 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2018, 11:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Fredericton market has an excellent cheese stall with good prices. We bought Wensleydale made with Sherpas cheese and dome New Zealand cheese, paid less than $10 for both. We also found a good butchers and charcuterie place.
Old Aug 6th 2018, 12:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This stuff is absolutely fabulous - and made in Canada (in Alberta) .. if you like chili-lime (slightly sweet.. ever had thai sweet chili-lime dressing? it's similar but not as sweet). It's thick like marmalade/jam and you can use it as a marinade, as a basting medium, as a dressing (mix a little lime juice with it), as an accompaniment or just eat it by the spoon, lol. It goes with pretty much anything, I've found. I've used it with ahi tuna steak, with poached chicken (hot and cold), in pasta salad, in couscous, as a salad dressing and as a bit on the side with potato - and it's been delicious with it all (maybe because I've been starved of anything flavourful for the last few months!).. would love to try it with a bit of baked brie and crusty bread .. but the days of eating brie - or any other yummy cheese - are over, sadly! They do other varieties too, haven't tried them yet.

https://www.somethingspecialdeli.com...ourmetRedChili
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 11:03 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Baked Bean Sighting!

Dollarama only has Clarks (my current goto) in the larger 500+ mg sizes. So I took a flyer on Northern Harvest beans, from Leamington.

Could be my new goto, a bit sweet (a dash of lea & perrins wookie sauce fixed that), but generally pretty good, And no maple syrup/ pork fat/ brown sugar b%^&#$ nonsense
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 1:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Baked Bean Sighting!

Dollarama only has Clarks (my current goto) in the larger 500+ mg sizes. So I took a flyer on Northern Harvest beans, from Leamington.

Could be my new goto, a bit sweet (a dash of lea & perrins wookie sauce fixed that), but generally pretty good, And no maple syrup/ pork fat/ brown sugar b%^&#$ nonsense
There is only one make of baked beans worth buying...Heinz.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 8:01 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't go there often but No Frills' baked beans in tomato sauce are okay. I'd recommend draining off most of the liquid, I think that's the bit that has most of the sugar, anyway, for 80 cents Canadian a tin, they are not a bad deal. Add them to a quinoa salad for some extra protein.

Last edited by Oink; Aug 23rd 2018 at 8:26 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 12:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't go there often but No Frills' baked beans in tomato sauce are okay. I'd recommend draining off most of the liquid, I think that's the bit that has most of the sugar, anyway, for 80 cents Canadian a tin, they are not a bad deal. Add them to a quinoa salad for some extra protein.
I still pronounce quinona to rhyme with Winona, so that isn't on; if I can't say it I may not be ready to eat it. I like Clark's, Heinz when they're on sale, but haven't bought NN baked beans in some time. A can lasts through 5 or 6 breakfasts with a good dollop heated in the pan with some wooster sauce after my bacon or sausage and eggs is cooked. I should get back into making refried beans (you can use all sorts of beans, black, pinto, kidney, etc), worth the little bit of extra effort and the perfect vehicle for cilantro and grated cheese.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 2:55 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Groceries

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I didn't even like Heinz in the UK- Branston Beans are by far the best over there. I have one tin I'm putting down in the wine cellar lol.

I don't mind the new Heinz BBQ beans though for a guilty treat.

My boycott of Heinz must be instinctive, as it was only in recent years I discovered the firm is form the hated cesspit of Pittbluergh.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 2:57 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by caretaker
I still pronounce quinona to rhyme with Winona, so that isn't on; if I can't say it I may not be ready to eat it.
Me too, except I refer to it as F&%#@n Kwin-0-ar.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 5:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
...Branston Beans are by far the best over there. I have one tin I'm putting down in the wine cellar lol..

What vintage, 57?
Old Aug 24th 2018, 4:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by amira
has anyone here buys grocery from online shopping site ?

I've bought from grocerygateway and walmart online here ..
Old Aug 27th 2018, 4:37 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by BristolUK

What vintage, 57?
No this is a cheeky 2017, bought and left in my mothers house on our trip that year. I was delighted to find the tin still there this year, probably because mum has that same Heinz affliction (good British company, ahem).
Old Sep 28th 2018, 8:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Utility turkeys .79/lb at No Frills. I don't think you can steal a turkey and clean it for $9 but that's what this one cost.

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 28th 2018 at 9:44 pm. Reason: (sp)
Old Sep 28th 2018, 9:40 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
Utility turkeys .79/lb at No Frills. I don't think uou can steal a turkey and clean it for $9 but that's what this one cost.
Great deal. I used to only buy the Butterball ones (or PC equivalent) but Walmart's 90c lb ones can be just as good if cooked right.
We usually get 3 or 4 quite different dinners for four and a pot of curry too, from a 10lb bird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.