Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Good Canadian TV Shows, Films and Music

Good Canadian TV Shows, Films and Music

Old Nov 12th 2014, 4:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Canadian TV Shows, Films and Music

Originally Posted by Tangram
My other must watch is The Newsroom, unfortunately stopping after Season 3.
I have recently begun watching this and completed Season 1. Really good. Quite surprised to see so many references to the News of the World hacking business.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

VainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of light

Tv shows:
-Twice in a lifetime
-Road to Avonlea
-Continuum(boring main character, but worth to keep watching to see what happens with our delightful 'villains')

Music:
-April Wine
-Bryan Adams
-Barenaked Ladies
-The Guess who
-Our Lady Peace
-Corey Hart
-Honeymoon Suite
-Gowan
-The Pursuit of Happiness
-Glass tiger
-Spoons
-The Northern Pikes
-Alannah Myles
-Platinum Blonde
-Heart(Originally from the U.S, but grew successful in Vancouver)
-Michel Pagliaro

My music selection mostly consists of rock bands from the 70s and 80s, as I cannot stand musicians from the 90s to the present time. Modern pop/techno/rap gigs are not something I want to my ears to experience.

Films:I unfortunately had to google 'top Canadian films', and cannot recall having watched any of them. I usually stick with sci-fi movies or black-and-white cinema from the 1920-1940, British or American.

Comedians:
-Russell Peters(only comedian in the entire planet I actually listen to)
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VainQuill
Films:I unfortunately had to google 'top Canadian films', and cannot recall having watched any of them. I usually stick with sci-fi movies or black-and-white cinema from the 1920-1940, British or American.
Well, there's Cronenberg and Guy Maddin, who might fit your bill. Who couldn't like a man who shoots a homage to 1930s German mountaineering movies in Manitoba? Or a silent, ballet version of Dracula?

And I've never been able to look at Chinese restaurants the same way since watching Existenz.

Old Nov 13th 2014, 12:50 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VainQuill
Tv shows:
-Twice in a lifetime
-Road to Avonlea
Da Vinci's Moncton City Hall

Old Nov 13th 2014, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

VainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of lightVainQuill is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MarkG
Well, there's Cronenberg and Guy Maddin, who might fit your bill. Who couldn't like a man who shoots a homage to 1930s German mountaineering movies in Manitoba? Or a silent, ballet version of Dracula?
Interesting mentions. I've skimmed their profiles on imdb, and I have to say that Cronenberg appears to have created juicy material that could caress my inner-Halloween, and Maddin seems quite renowned for his use of motifs. Definitely worth looking into, thanks.

Originally Posted by MarkG
And I've never been able to look at Chinese restaurants the same way since watching Existenz.

FIT Notes - Organic 002 - YouTube
Dexter has competition...

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Da Vinci's Moncton City Hall

http://i61.tinypic.com/egtrgn.jpg