Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Going for a latte in the new normal

Going for a latte in the new normal

Old Jun 25th 2020, 9:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going for a latte in the new normal

Old Jun 25th 2020, 10:24 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

It’s just started to get a bit bad now...we have self distanced, worn masks and stayed away from each other. We had our backs to the wall and a blitz spirit and the Queen told us all that we’d meet again, but that does seem to be a long time ago, and now I am mostly ‘new’ normal and I go into every shop wearing a mask. I want to live and not infect anyone but it’s not much fun.

I think we are all missing random chats with random strangers.

Today I went to lunch (there’s nowhere to go, I normally take my book and read under a tree near the courthouse, but last night it rained, so the ground was wet, and I sat somewhere different)...I met a group of people who were asking if I minded that they sat in my shade and for thirty minutes we had a wide ranging and fun discussion about nothing. I will never, probably, meet them again, but it was different and we were seeking out companionship I think... it was good...
Old Jun 25th 2020, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
It’s just started to get a bit bad now...we have self distanced, worn masks and stayed away from each other. We had our backs to the wall and a blitz spirit and the Queen told us all that we’d meet again, but that does seem to be a long time ago, and now I am mostly ‘new’ normal and I go into every shop wearing a mask. I want to live and not infect anyone but it’s not much fun.

I think we are all missing random chats with random strangers.

Today I went to lunch (there’s nowhere to go, I normally take my book and read under a tree near the courthouse, but last night it rained, so the ground was wet, and I sat somewhere different)...I met a group of people who were asking if I minded that they sat in my shade and for thirty minutes we had a wide ranging and fun discussion about nothing. I will never, probably, meet them again, but it was different and we were seeking out companionship I think... it was good...
i have met, on a very short term basis, some lovely women in the queue for the bakers

also I don’t get the hate for CT. In a small town they have a handy range of stuff
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:30 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
...I don’t get the hate for CT. In a small town they have a handy range of stuff
I used them a lot after we moved here. DVD players, toaster oven, book cases, tv stand, deck furniture, lamps, lawn mower, rugs, pots and pans, tools....so much stuff.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I hear ya on Lasik !

And of course 2/10 on a severe / possibly fatal or life long respiratory impairment disease are not exactly great odds. You'd be safer driving drunk without a seatbelt.
...and those that don't die can pass it on to others who are vulnerable, maybe someone in your own family.
You may not be concerned, so are not concerned who you may pass it onto?
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:45 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
It doesn't mean that 2 out of 10 people die. Don't forget that there are also moderate & severe cases where people get really sick but recover OK. Look at old Boris, he's good as new now.
I'm not sure if old Boris is as good as new. And even if he looked it (which he doesn't) the disease could impact him for years.

I think the lethality of Covid is around 2% for below 60 and 5% for above 60. So for every 19 Boris's (what a thought!) there's some highly intelligent fit doctor that perishes. I've also heard that for the over 80's the survival rate in ICU is 50%.

Perhaps the interior of BC and other Canadian locations are enjoying low incidence of the virus, and therefore a more relaxed approach can be adopted (risked). But if you look at what's happening in the US now (Florida, California, Texas) where people rejected the over-cautious advice, it's not a good story. Ditto Brtain. My sense is that many people underestimate both the transmissability and the impact. I guess it's because it's a virus and not a toxin. It's somehow seen as a natural phenomena and any resulting hospitialisation also a natural phenomena.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 12:48 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
...and those that don't die can pass it on to others who are vulnerable, maybe someone in your own family.
You may not be concerned, so are not concerned who you may pass it onto?
Yes, indeed. There's a huge disconnect on that point, hence the lack of mask wearing.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 1:02 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

On the acquiring masks thing, the surprise of the pandemic was the local chain of convenience stores: "Maries Mini Mart" who were quickly out of the gate selling masks, gloves and hand sanitiser when Loblaws/Lawtons/Sobeys/Walmart etc were sold out.
Packs of ten surgical masks. Made in China nach but seem OK - the Mrs and the MiL bought some. I'm sticking to the homemade mask because my 'eads too big for standard onesd! Maries by the way know their customer base - the advertising hoarding outside my local store is "We have masks, sanitiser and yeast". The great yeast shortage of March-May 2020 was a feature of the pandemic in these parts!

Back to Walmart and third party sellers, I generally click the box on Walmart, Staples, Best Buy etc that ensures that I only see the products they are selling themselves. If I want to buy from some dodgy reseller I'll buy through Amazon, who in my experience at least are better at providing refunds if something is sub-par.

EDITED TO ADD:

In the first couple of months of the pandemic I did some volunteer work with the local business community supporting the Health Authority on the procurement of PPE. (I'm a Procurement guy by trade & have experience in sourcing from Asia). It was very much the wild west with dodgy distributors popping up left right and centre, people insisting that they had millions of N95 masks available on terms of 100% payment in advance, etc etc. Hell of a minefield for the government procurement people across Canada to get through, so I do have some sympathies with the challenges they've faced.I see a news report today saying that Canada is almost self sufficient in PPE supply or will be. That's a good thing!

Our own personal challenge in pandemic supply chain was sourcing elastic to make masks (the Mrs has been making them for friends and colleagues). Everywhere sold out quickly. I purchased some through ebay - which arrived from China, and some through a third party seller on Amazon, which we're still to receive.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Jun 26th 2020 at 1:07 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So all you have to hope for now is that the glass was properly cleaned since the previous person had their hand and mouth on it; that no infected aerosols landed in it or on you; that the person who filled your glass wasn't infectious and didn't transfer anything to your glass

And of course you paid contactless?

Well yes but there is a risk involved in everything, but for me personally what I gain from the experience outweighs the risk.... thats not to say I am being complacent, but I think we have to learn to live with Covid, its not going anywhere and I need to live some form of a life!

If figures start getting higher again I would be more concerned, but I am not greatly concerned at present, I also put trust in the pub to take the required sanitary procedures such as suitable glass cleaning and not serving if they have any symptoms etc..... its a very small privately owned pub so that gives me a degree or two more of confidence. Could get hit by a bus tommorow! life is too short....calculated risks and all that.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 2:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well yes but there is a risk involved in everything, but for me personally what I gain from the experience outweighs the risk.... thats not to say I am being complacent, but I think we have to learn to live with Covid, its not going anywhere and I need to live some form of a life!
How many people are you willing to infect for your beer in the pub?
Old Jun 26th 2020, 3:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Back to Walmart and third party sellers, I generally click the box on Walmart, Staples, Best Buy etc that ensures that I only see the products they are selling themselves. If I want to buy from some dodgy reseller I'll buy through Amazon, who in my experience at least are better at providing refunds if something is sub-par.
My failure to get any masks from Walmart.ca was the first time I've been aware of third party sellers there. Either I've not used Walmart online for a long time or 3rd party is new? I assumed it would be as safe as Amazon and part of that was because I've had a few 3rd party things via BestBuy that have been fine.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well yes but there is a risk involved in everything, but for me personally what I gain from the experience outweighs the risk....
Yes, it's about the gains and risks. Going to the pub I would put low down on the list of gains but I know that's easy for me to say as going to the pub (few drinks and chinwag) hasn't been a part of my life for a long time.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 4:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's about the gains and risks. Going to the pub I would put low down on the list of gains but I know that's easy for me to say as going to the pub (few drinks and chinwag) hasn't been a part of my life for a long time.
I don't think going to a pub is at all a reasonable thing to do. It exposes the pub goer to an increased level of risk, the person decides to take that risk on behalf of him or herself and all the people to whom that person will be exposed. So, people, generally young, go to the pub, get infected but don't become seriously ill, Shortly thereafter, older people die in consequence of having enjoyed that beer by proxy. This isn't some dubious claim like secondhand smoke killing people or an avoidable risk like HIV; pub goers, considered together, will be killing older people. It's only safe to open pubs if no one goes there.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 4:18 pm
Yo

Agreed. It's all about gains and risks. It will vary by location (the set up, the number of patrons, the incidence of Corona in the town) but I think it's good to have this cauttious/questioning frame of mind rather than writing it all off to fate and buses. It's an infection that we as individuals are able to avoid getting, and perhaps more importantly, transmitting. I haven't ruled out going to the pub, but I really want a higher level of certainty that the virus isn't about before I do. These forums are helpful in that sense, you can become aware that there are like-minded people. Otherwise you just walk past the sunny tables and think why aren't I there when others are.
Old Jun 26th 2020, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
How many people are you willing to infect for your beer in the pub?
Thats rather a judgmental statement to make don't you think? ....you could say how many people are potentially going to infect me if I go for a beer at the pub? it works both ways, besides. I don't go for the beer anyway, haven't done that since I lived in the UK

As I stated before its a calculated risk, I am not doing anything wrong, the government have allowed the patios to open because figures are down, its outside, we social distance, everyone is responsible, unlike the people on beaches, or in the city parks or other irresponsible events that have occurred in the last few weeks. Lets keep this in context.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.