Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Going for a latte in the new normal

Going for a latte in the new normal

Old Jun 24th 2020, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going for a latte in the new normal

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think this is exactly right. There is nothing that WalMart has that is unavailable elsewhere (except Aloe Vera oil in 2 gallon jugs). At WalMart you'll encounter the People of WallMart, of course it's not safe, just don't go there.
Unless of course your going there to earn money.

I'd gladly avoid Wal-Mart and Super Store but that is where pretty much all the shops are.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 5:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Unless of course your going there to earn money.

I'd gladly avoid Wal-Mart and Super Store but that is where pretty much all the shops are.
Yep. Gotta do what you gotta do to earn a quid/dollar. Stay as safe as you can J!
Old Jun 24th 2020, 6:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ive just been to the dentists office to see the hygienist and apart from some awkwardness getting it it was all fine, felt safe. We have been out for a patio lunch and again felt safe from the dreaded out by.
People are much more lax now and I try to keep a distance, or mask up. I've a horror of being a patient when I wouldn't be able to hear at all and wouldn't see much either so I'm cautious but not avoiding life. .
Old Jun 24th 2020, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Ive just been to the dentists office to see the hygienist and apart from some awkwardness getting it it was all fine, felt safe. We have been out for a patio lunch and again felt safe from the dreaded out by.
People are much more lax now and I try to keep a distance, or mask up. I've a horror of being a patient when I wouldn't be able to hear at all and wouldn't see much either so I'm cautious but not avoiding life. .
thank you for posting this. My daughter is the first of us to get an appointment post-lockdown and I must admit I hesitated before accepting it. I decided it was probably safer to accept one of the first appointments, before any laxity with the precautions sets in.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 12:21 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
thank you for posting this. My daughter is the first of us to get an appointment post-lockdown and I must admit I hesitated before accepting it. I decided it was probably safer to accept one of the first appointments, before any laxity with the precautions sets in.
I'd say the staff are at more risk than we are, they care gowned, gloved, masked and visited. They call the day before to screen you, temp, cough etc. At the appointment you wear a mask until you're in the room. Then it's temperatire taking time and a peroxide mouthwash. I never have the water jet cleaning thingy anyway but they aren't allowed to use it. That's it.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Never use the masks again or Walmart?

You were lucky to get them. When I ordered, it was all third party sellers (just like masks on Amazon) and it seemed to me there were 50 ads or more and all from the same seller. Only one review. I hoped that was because they were too new to have reviews and took a chance.

I just took another look and it all looks the same now as it did then except there are a few different names for the suppliers and the same total lack of reviews. Presumably the new names are used as the "fake tracking information"; "it's a scam"; "masks never arrived" comments start arriving and a new supplier name means such comments are not attached and more people are conned. Rinse and repeat.

I meant never went into Walmart again.

I was the same as you ......... went onto the Walmart site because it was the only place to get disposable masks. Saw at least 60 types of masks on the site, all from third party sellers, all in China so far as I could see.

I found reviews for more suppliers than you did, and most of them were terrible, including "smelled awful when I opened the bag", "were obviously used and dirty".

Eventually I found one supplier with several reviews that were OK, and took the risk of ordering a pack of 40 .

Took over 6 weeks to arrive, and arrived about 3 days after the estimated date, and yes, all the way from China. Packed in a resealable plastic bag, with no identity as to the manufacture.

Haven't used them yet .............. not sure that I ever will!

But I was not happy with the Walmart online site, and the ordering from 3rd party sellers, one of the reasons I didn't buy from Amazon.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 5:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Yep. Gotta do what you gotta do to earn a quid/dollar. Stay as safe as you can J!
Yeppers. Going into Wal-Mart or Super Store are not what I enjoy doing, I hate both those stores with a passion, they design their stores the complete opposite of what I like in a store. I like how Target in the US does it, mostly clear main aisles without shelving displays, no overhead announcements, and brighter more airy store.

Where Wal-Mart crams everything they can into the main aisles, is loud from the obnoxious overhead announcements nobody can understand, unpleasant shopping experience all around, Super Store is not much better they throw crap into the main aisles as well.

I guess that is the reason when I live in the US, I basically never go to Wal-Mart, always go to Target.

Canadian Tire is bad too, and some reason when I go into their stores, I feel sick and get a headache, and they all have this odd smell, maybe its all the crap they sell off gassing...lol

Basically if I could order 100% of everything online and never go into a store, I would. lol

Old Jun 25th 2020, 10:01 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
thank you for posting this. My daughter is the first of us to get an appointment post-lockdown and I must admit I hesitated before accepting it. I decided it was probably safer to accept one of the first appointments,in.
I thought that too. My son had to have all his wisdom teeth out the first week the dental surgeons got back in gear. I was terrified, however the steps in place were fantastic.

I’m not a bar visitor so I don’t miss that, I miss that I can only visit the library for ten minutes and can’t sit down. I’m very pleased it’s open though. I get a Greek takeaway sometimes, but otherwise the food isn’t good, so we don’t miss restaurants.

I know we have flattened the curve but life has got pretty flat with it...and I’d just as soon stay at home as I feel safer. Downtown Fredericton is like a ghost town mostly. We are bubbling on 3rd July with the other Atlantic Provinces. We aren’t worried about them, we are worried about Quebec and Houlton actress the border.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 10:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yeppers. Going into Wal-Mart or Super Store are not what I enjoy doing, I hate both those stores with a passion, they design their stores the complete opposite of what I like in a store. I like how Target in the US does it, mostly clear main aisles without shelving displays, no overhead announcements, and brighter more airy store.

Where Wal-Mart crams everything they can into the main aisles, is loud from the obnoxious overhead announcements nobody can understand, unpleasant shopping experience all around, Super Store is not much better they throw crap into the main aisles as well.

I guess that is the reason when I live in the US, I basically never go to Wal-Mart, always go to Target.

Canadian Tire is bad too, and some reason when I go into their stores, I feel sick and get a headache, and they all have this odd smell, maybe its all the crap they sell off gassing...lol

Basically if I could order 100% of everything online and never go into a store, I would. lol
Someone mentioned Canadian Tire not long ago (think it was Bristol), but I got a surprise to see you mention it in the context of your post. So I looked it up and now I get it. I thought it was a store that sold tires/tyres
Old Jun 25th 2020, 10:30 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I like Target too. I don't mind shopping in person, but not so keen in the current environment.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 12:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
But I was not happy with the Walmart online site, and the ordering from 3rd party sellers, one of the reasons I didn't buy from Amazon.
At least with Amazon you're guaranteed a refund. Walmart acknowledges your complaint but they say they are temporarily not monitoring the content.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I like Target too. I don't mind shopping in person, but not so keen in the current environment.
I hate shopping in Target, and haven't been into a Target store in probably around ten years, and the reason is rather strange, I think. I was never a frequent Target shopper, but on the few occasions I used to shop there, I started to notice a pattern, that I eventually proved on the last couple of times I went into a Target. After only a few minutes in the store I start to get a tension headache, I believe brought on by the intense red that is the dominant colour inside the store.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 4:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I meant never went into Walmart again.

I was the same as you ......... went onto the Walmart site because it was the only place to get disposable masks. Saw at least 60 types of masks on the site, all from third party sellers, all in China so far as I could see.

I found reviews for more suppliers than you did, and most of them were terrible, including "smelled awful when I opened the bag", "were obviously used and dirty".

Eventually I found one supplier with several reviews that were OK, and took the risk of ordering a pack of 40 .

Took over 6 weeks to arrive, and arrived about 3 days after the estimated date, and yes, all the way from China. Packed in a resealable plastic bag, with no identity as to the manufacture.

Haven't used them yet .............. not sure that I ever will!

Handy hint - when ordering from Walmart - select 'Walmart' as the seller and shippers - never buy from 3rd parties on there.
As for Amazon - you can select sellers that ship through Amazon - rather than independants.

I've ordered from both online for many years and have never had a problem, other than one shirt I ordered from Amazon which was the wrong size - but was immediately refunded by the seller.

Old Jun 25th 2020, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Well I went for my first visit to the pub last night on the way home from work....

For the most part social distancing was upheld, and we were all outside on the patio, I didn't feel under any threat in anyway. I have to say it was a real tonic, having had a crappy day at work. .
The atmosphere was good and the beer and banter flowed (just two pints on this occasion) its been sorely missed.
Old Jun 25th 2020, 4:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Well I went for my first visit to the pub last night on the way home from work....

For the most part social distancing was upheld, and we were all outside on the patio, I didn't feel under any threat in anyway.
So all you have to hope for now is that the glass was properly cleaned since the previous person had their hand and mouth on it; that no infected aerosols landed in it or on you; that the person who filled your glass wasn't infectious and didn't transfer anything to your glass

And of course you paid contactless?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.