Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Going for a latte in the new normal

Going for a latte in the new normal

Old Jun 29th 2020, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going for a latte in the new normal

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, but I don't think it's country so much as local incidence. It's also about how we as individuals perceive we will survive it. Personally, I'm somewhat fatalistic, and assume that if I get it, there's a strong likelihood that it will be severe.
I tend to side with if I get it, it might be severe, considering my past history with other types of respiratory illnesses leading to pneumonia.

I don't have any underlying issues that I am aware of that would increase my risk from the list of underlying issues on various government and health websites, but just my past history of pneumonia from what started out as fairly benign respiratory illness, has me a bit concerned of what may happen if I got it.

But then who knows, for all I know I have had it and never showed symptoms, this is one tricky virus. Florida with their ramp up in testing is finding a fairly significant amount of people with the virus but no symptoms, I tend to wonder if BC opened up their testing more widely if we would see larger increase in cases. But I guess if hospitalizations are low, there isn't a reason to increase testing. Right now they only test people with symptoms.

Old Jun 29th 2020, 5:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
...they said 'oh come over next weekend instead and sit on the balcony and have drinks with us!' Sigh.
It's like with some people.

The worst part is you'd expect many of them to know better.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 5:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise - or possibly a 9+.. knowing that my arteries are between 71 and 100% blocked already, and having had one stroke, brain bleed, brain damage blah blah blah, with an increased risk of having another, the last thing I need is to catch Covid 19 and have one blood clot.... which would likely be the end of me. I'm not ready to go yet!

I get so frustrated by people who don't believe in the virus, don't believe in the need to social distance or protect those at home who are self isolating. I was invited to a birthday party on Sunday - "oh we are allowed TEN adults - the kids don't count - so we're all good to have the party!" They have forgotten that their immediate family - i.e. children, childrens partners, grandchildren and themselves already add up to 10 people - let alone the 7 other people (and their extended families) they have also invited and the 2 great grandparents who have the birthdays - both almost 80.. and the other great grandparent who has health issues and who they visit daily in the home they are in...... they don't understand the concept of Social Circles at all - they live in a very small 1.5 bedroom condo and will have around 20 people there including all the children (some of who are under 2) https://www.ontario.ca/page/create-s...uring-covid-19 I explained why I couldn't attend and they said 'oh come over next weekend instead and sit on the balcony and have drinks with us!' Sigh.
Gosh, you are a survivir Siouxie !

Surprised you don't dial strainght into panic mode 10...I would if I had that kind of history.

Yes, it dumbfounds me that so many people cannot understand the basic concept of a highly transmissable virus. It's total head in the sand territory. If it only infected the individual (as most health risks do) then fine, but when it can infect great numbers of other people, there really should be a higher duty of care.

Old Jun 29th 2020, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Show people articles like this when they are having birthday parties or gatherings.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7107152/t...y-coronavirus/

"It’s believed that one relative, not knowing they were infected, interacted with seven others at the party. These seven members then spread the virus to 10 others."

Old Jun 29th 2020, 6:01 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Show people articles like this when they are having birthday parties or gatherings.

"It’s believed that one relative, not knowing they were infected, interacted with seven others at the party. These seven members then spread the virus to 10 others."
Bad time of year to stop large outdoor gatherings. My Daughter attended two 'graduation' parties this weekend, both outside thank goodness.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 8:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
Bad time of year to stop large outdoor gatherings. My Daughter attended two 'graduation' parties this weekend, both outside thank goodness.
Not that we would ever been invited to a large outdoor gathering of any sort, but even if we were, I'd skip it at this point.

As far as I know though in BC aren't gatherings of any kind capped at 50 still?
Old Jun 29th 2020, 10:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Not that we would ever been invited to a large outdoor gathering of any sort, but even if we were, I'd skip it at this point.

As far as I know though in BC aren't gatherings of any kind capped at 50 still?
Yes I believe they are.
Doesn't apply to grade 12 end of year bush parties though
Old Jun 29th 2020, 11:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Doesn't apply to end of year bush parties though
What's that, some sort of depilatory event?
Old Jun 30th 2020, 2:43 pm
Tea Drinker

Fascinating documentary if you have a spare 20 minutes.

A socially distanced documentary from Scottish Filmmaker Conor Reilly.

Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

If there is ever a 6G, and I survive 5G, I will put up a sign saying, "I thought 5G was going ti kill us all."
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

If there is ever a 6G, and I survive 5G, I will put up a sign saying, "I thought 5G was going ti kill us all."
I think Elon will have chips planted in our brain by then, and we won't even need a mobile phone network!
Old Jun 30th 2020, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shard
I think Elon will have chips planted in our brain by then, and we won't even need a mobile phone network!

When his cars don't confuse Burger King signs for stop signs, maybe, just maybe...ha ha
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 3:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise - or possibly a 9+.. knowing that my arteries are between 71 and 100% blocked already, and having had one stroke, brain bleed, brain damage blah blah blah, with an increased risk of having another, the last thing I need is to catch Covid 19 and have one blood clot.... which would likely be the end of me. I'm not ready to go yet!

I get so frustrated by people who don't believe in the virus, don't believe in the need to social distance or protect those at home who are self isolating. I was invited to a birthday party on Sunday - "oh we are allowed TEN adults - the kids don't count - so we're all good to have the party!" They have forgotten that their immediate family - i.e. children, childrens partners, grandchildren and themselves already add up to 10 people - let alone the 7 other people (and their extended families) they have also invited and the 2 great grandparents who have the birthdays - both almost 80.. and the other great grandparent who has health issues and who they visit daily in the home they are in...... they don't understand the concept of Social Circles at all - they live in a very small 1.5 bedroom condo and will have around 20 people there including all the children (some of who are under 2) https://www.ontario.ca/page/create-s...uring-covid-19 I explained why I couldn't attend and they said 'oh come over next weekend instead and sit on the balcony and have drinks with us!' Sigh.
Lots of people are utterly clueless - any contact is bad, no contact outside of the family members you live with should be the goal for everyone - and trips out only when necessary.

I think we have done pretty well on that front - I think our daugher has been away from our home only once in the past 3 months, and that was to get her braces repaired, and Mrs P only 2-3 times. I only leave to get food, which I try to keep to one trip per week, and occasional trips to Lowes for essentials, and I wait until i have a list of things, and try to time my trips to a quite time of day.

That's how it works - it only takes one person to spark another hotspot.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 3rd 2020 at 3:48 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Lots of people are utterly clueless - any contact is bad, no contact outside of the family members you live with should be the goal for everyone - and trips out only when necessary.

I think we have done pretty well on that front - I think our daugher has been away from our home only once in the past 3 months, and that was to get her braces repaired, and Mrs P only 2-3 times. I only leave to get food, which I try to keep to one trip per week, and occasional trips to Lowes for essentials, and I wait until i have a list of things, and try to time my trips to a quite time of day.

And with the study released today, seems the predominate strain now spreading in the US is 3 to 9 times more infectious, but doesn't appear anymore lethal or cause more severe illness, just infects and spreads faster.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 1:06 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Pulaski

If your daughter was compelled to attend school, what would be your thinking/action? We're facing that in September. Given my paranoia (warranted or not) it concerns me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.