British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/goggle-box-anything-worth-watching-tv-872172/)

BristolUK Oct 20th 2020 9:56 pm

Re: Goggle box- anything worth watching on TV?

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12924053)
Wow - I just wrapped up Ozark season 3. I found season 3 to be VASTLY improved over season 2. Season 2 seemed full of far-fetched storylines, but season 3 was much 'tighter' and more plausible in my view.

I tend to think of this as the seasons being different rather than worse. A steady deterioration - or even plummeting standards - is something else. I think you had similar feelings regarding Lilyhammer. Or was it Norsemen?

Changes in pace, style, focus etc is what helps keep things fresh, rather like a Beatles or Steely Dan LP can be totally different to a previous one but still be good.
As I recall, Marty was the decision maker in S1 while Wendy came more to the fore in S2 and we met the scary Helen. Ruth was just brilliant throughout. :lol:

BuckinghamshireBoy Oct 20th 2020 10:00 pm

Babylon 5: Jha'dur really is Margaret Thatcher, and I claim my CAD 8.49

;)

BristolUK Oct 20th 2020 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12924122)
Babylon 5: Jha'dur really is Margaret Thatcher, and I claim my CAD 8.49

;)

I thought that was Servalan. Evilness rather than appearance.

Jingsamichty Oct 22nd 2020 11:06 am

The Trump Show on BBC2...a 3 part documentary on the rise of Trump.

(I think it's 3 parts, I've seen the first 2)

Danny B Oct 26th 2020 12:22 am

I watched three episodes of this last night, it is a cross between Black Mirror and Coronation Street. 10/10

sharkus Oct 27th 2020 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12926236)
I watched three episodes of this last night, it is a cross between Black Mirror and Coronation Street. 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY41jhIP_xI

We watched that a little while back and did rather enjoy it. Quite a few twists and turns throughout.

beckiwoo Oct 29th 2020 4:57 pm

Watching season 2 of The Spanish Princess - historical (a lot of fictional elements based on the novel) about Catherine of Aragon, Henry VIII’s first wife.

Also started on Fargo season 4, only 2 episodes in so not sure what to think so far. First episode was pretty good though

re-watching Black Books on Amazon Prime

Danny B Oct 29th 2020 5:20 pm

We have just finished watching 5 seasons of Peaky Blinders. Really enjoyed it, hoping for a 6th season.

Atlantic Xpat Oct 30th 2020 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 12927693)
We have just finished watching 5 seasons of Peaky Blinders. Really enjoyed it, hoping for a 6th season.

I think filming the sixth season got shelved by C19. Hopefully it does come eventually given the cliff hanger at the end of season 5.

What I really want to see though is the Peaky Blinders / Downton Abbey crossover movie/series. A downward trajectory of the Granthams, intersecting with the upward move of the Shelby clan. I think it could be rather entertaining... :-)

Danny B Nov 1st 2020 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12928193)
I think filming the sixth season got shelved by C19. Hopefully it does come eventually given the cliff hanger at the end of season 5.

What I really want to see though is the Peaky Blinders / Downton Abbey crossover movie/series. A downward trajectory of the Granthams, intersecting with the upward move of the Shelby clan. I think it could be rather entertaining... :-)

ha ha yeah that would be funny. It's a shame the Crown started in 1947 otherwise John Shelby could have had a mention from Liz's Dad in the 1st season.

BristolUK Nov 15th 2020 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12901144)
Watching some good shows on CBC Gem lately.

The Tunnel was good and so was Wisting and now we just started Greyzone. Wisting is Norwegian and Greyzone is a Danish/Swedish production.

Yep, I'm enjoying Greyzone on Gem too.
I hadn't realised it had been on Canadian TV. Gem is a good way to catch up on Da Vinci's Inquest. I think I missed some early episodes before I discovered CBCs afternoon repeats way, way back.

Partially discharged Nov 15th 2020 11:08 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12935883)
Yep, I'm enjoying Greyzone on Gem too.
I hadn't realised it had been on Canadian TV. Gem is a good way to catch up on Da Vinci's Inquest. I think I missed some early episodes before I discovered CBCs afternoon repeats way, way back.

The main female lead in Greyzone is a major actress in Borgen which is a Danish political drama on Netflix. The interface on Gem can be clunky and I guess it is a 'you get what you pay for' type of streaming service.

We finished watching 'The Sounds' on Gem which is a NZ/Canadian production...it was OK, confusing a bit and it had some real 'Canadian' moments of not so great acting.

sharkus Nov 15th 2020 2:15 pm

The Crown series 4 came out today. It's just about getting to the era where I start to actually remember the events that will be depicted. I shall schedule it for a binge session.

I also need to watch The Alienist season two.

The Mandalorian season two continues to impress, and I've been watching it with my son, who rather enjoys it too.

Steerpike Nov 18th 2020 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 12936004)
The Crown series 4 came out today. It's just about getting to the era where I start to actually remember the events that will be depicted. I shall schedule it for a binge session.

We started watching The Crown Season 4 a few nights ago; we are restricting ourselves to one episode per night. I'm finding it unexpectedly good, so far! Fun to see how Thatcher interacted with the Royal Family (a bit of fact-checking suggests the show is not far off) and the treatment of 'Lady Di' in the pre-marriage period is eye-opening to say the least. So - optimistic about the season so far!

We also started watching 'The Queen's Gambit' on Netflix. Strange tale of a young orphan girl who is a chess genius. No idea where it's going but definitely a good start (episode 1).

I'm totally gripped by 'The Undoing' on HBO. It's a typical high-end HBO production with big names (Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland) and is produced by same folks who did 'Big Little Lies'. So far, everything is 'perfect' - the story, the acting, the 'mood'. Can't remember the last time I saw anything this good (maybe, 'Big Little Lies!). There's only 5 episodes and I'm already sad that I'm near the end!

BristolUK Nov 18th 2020 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12937217)
I'm totally gripped by 'The Undoing' on HBO. It's a typical high-end HBO production with big names (Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland) and is produced by same folks who did 'Big Little Lies'. So far, everything is 'perfect' - the story, the acting, the 'mood'. Can't remember the last time I saw anything this good (maybe, 'Big Little Lies!). There's only 5 episodes and I'm already sad that I'm near the end!

It's in my list.

I see there's a second season of Undercover on Netflix. Can't remember a damn thing about how S1 ended.