Flu shots.

Old Oct 19th 2013, 4:07 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flu shots.

I'm advocating choice without judgement.

Whether I take it or not is irrelevant to the original point of the thread. Implying I can't advocate something I don't personally use is silly. I would advocate insulin but I'm not diabetic, or advocate trying hot curries/red raspberry leaf tea/bouncing on a birthing ball/syntocin to hopefully bring on labour but I'm not pregnant, using aspirin or caffeine for a headache but I don't have one.

I'm not about to start a great debate about vaccines or otherwise, I was merely presenting another option that millions of people choose - there is always personal choice, and only the OP knows what feels right - we have no right to mock/judge/criticise or otherwise ridicule what any person chooses to do with their own health.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 4:42 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Having read all of this, I am going to get a 'flu shot next week, and take some vitamin D. Last winter I got particularly fed up, a combination of having just moved, being unemployed and lonely and winter being harsher than I had expected. This year, I'm going to be much better prepared and keeping myself fit and healthy will help. How about you Ruby Rose...are you going for a shot?
Old Oct 19th 2013, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Having read all of this, I am going to get a 'flu shot next week, and take some vitamin D. Last winter I got particularly fed up, a combination of having just moved, being unemployed and lonely and winter being harsher than I had expected. This year, I'm going to be much better prepared and keeping myself fit and healthy will help. How about you Ruby Rose...are you going for a shot?
Yes, Millie. Flu shot it is for me and two days of vitamin D and B 12 has helped enormously. I just feel bad that I have opened a can of worms and now posters are squabbling over the merits of conventional as opposed to alternative methods. Ginger and all of these things help but I don't think they are the answer.

Ruby
Old Oct 19th 2013, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If you've got anymore money you want to waste why don't you just send it to me and I'll pray that you don't get the flu. Wouldn't be any less effective.
Thanks, Oink I knew you were a kind and generous spirited soul, so how about we skip the money and you just pray that you, me and the rest of us stay healthy and fit.

Ruby
Old Oct 19th 2013, 7:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubyRose
Thanks, Oink I knew you were a kind and generous spirited soul, so how about we skip the money and you just pray that you, me and the rest of us stay healthy and fit.

Ruby
It's just bit of flu, lighten up lady.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 7:04 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
You're much better off to take oral homeopathic Influenzinum. It's recommended by the World Health Organisation and is updated every year to include all 'flu strains. I've used it for over ten years. It has no side effects. Neither my husband nor I have had 'flu in all that time. We never take 'flu shots.
I have been not taking homeopathic concoctions for the same period. Also no side effects. It must be powerful stuff!

I've had a flu shot every year for about 5 years. I do get a really sore shoulder but that is very much more preferable to me than getting flu again.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 7:39 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe - whatever method you choose - may the winter treat you kindly, nothing worse than feeling completely debilitated ... except tooth ache - tooth ache sucks!
Old Oct 19th 2013, 8:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC
I'm advocating choice without judgement.

Whether I take it or not is irrelevant to the original point of the thread. Implying I can't advocate something I don't personally use is silly. I would advocate insulin but I'm not diabetic, or advocate trying hot curries/red raspberry leaf tea/bouncing on a birthing ball/syntocin to hopefully bring on labour but I'm not pregnant, using aspirin or caffeine for a headache but I don't have one.

I'm not about to start a great debate about vaccines or otherwise, I was merely presenting another option that millions of people choose - there is always personal choice, and only the OP knows what feels right - we have no right to mock/judge/criticise or otherwise ridicule what any person chooses to do with their own health.
I have a right to an opinion and one of them is that people who suggest homeopathy instead of proven science are bat shit crazy.

Last edited by bats; Oct 19th 2013 at 9:08 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 8:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Millie. Flu shot it is for me and two days of vitamin D and B 12 has helped enormously. I just feel bad that I have opened a can of worms and now posters are squabbling over the merits of conventional as opposed to alternative methods. Ginger and all of these things help but I don't think they are the answer.

Ruby
Don't feel bad Ruby, it's only a debate. Glad to hear the vitamins are working for you.

Last edited by bats; Oct 19th 2013 at 9:07 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 10:05 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Ruby
I took Vitamin D daily for most of the year except for the summer months where I was exposed to sunshine. However, now I am the grand old age off 50 my gynaecologist has told me to take Vitamin D and Calcium combined all year round to help against osteoporosis. I am on the downward slope now I guess
Old Oct 19th 2013, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cookie
I took Vitamin D daily for most of the year except for the summer months where I was exposed to sunshine. However, now I am the grand old age off 50 my gynaecologist has told me to take Vitamin D and Calcium combined all year round to help against osteoporosis. I am on the downward slope now I guess
Thanks, Cookie. I will add calcium to it, my sister did say I should take calcium. It's not good to get old.

Ruby
Old Oct 20th 2013, 10:33 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Don't feel bad Ruby, it's only a debate. Glad to hear the vitamins are working for you.
Quite right, we need the cut and thrust...utter boredom would beckon otherwise...good on you girl and keep the questions comming
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I usually get the flu shot, but I don't think it does much good tbh.

Had it loads of times, other than a bit of soreness I can't think of any problems it's caused.

One of my relatives had it and still got the flu.

I used to think it was all about keeping the flu vaccine industry going but I have a different relative who worked for Merck and she said to me they made no money out of it really, which is probably why it's so crap.

Ask the nurse if you can read the instructions and see what strains it actually protects against, some years it sounds so obscure I'm sure it does no good.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Ask the nurse if you can read the instructions and see what strains it actually protects against, some years it sounds so obscure I'm sure it does no good.
An obscure sounding vaccine is less effective? You do write some tosh.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:46 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Steve_
I usually get the flu shot, but I don't think it does much good tbh.

Had it loads of times, other than a bit of soreness I can't think of any problems it's caused.

One of my relatives had it and still got the flu.

I used to think it was all about keeping the flu vaccine industry going but I have a different relative who worked for Merck and she said to me they made no money out of it really, which is probably why it's so crap.

There you go, http://www.who.int/influenza/vaccine.../en/index.html
This WHO recommendations for 2013-2014.

You say a relative got the flu one year, was it really influenza? Was it identifued by a laboratory? If not then you can't say that theu had the flu. There are many ILIs, influenza like infections, that people describe as flu.

It is possible to get flu even if you have had the vaccine, but unlikely as it would have to br a i strain of flu not vaccinated against.

If you decide not to get the shot then get a viral infection then make sure you don't spread it to someome who is immmunocompromised.

I don't understand why anyone wopuldn't get it though. As i mentioned before do you refuse tetanus shots? MMR? Cholera? Polio? Smallpox? Oh hang on vaccines eradicated that klne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.