Flu shots.

Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:08 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flu shots.

this homeopathic nonsense is hilarious.

From the same "homeopathy store" website is this little gem:
Clinical Trials of Influenzinum

The effectiveness of Influenzinum has been demonstrated by several clinical studies. A survey of 23 homeopathic doctors and 453 patients in France from 1987 to 1998 showed that in 90% of all cases, no flu occurred when Influenzinum was taken preventively for ages 2 and older. A second study with 100 patients observed that when taken during two consecutive winter seasons, the effectiveness of Influenzinum increased even higher.
So, conversely, 10% of patients taking this supposed preventative actually got flu? Considering the CDC statistics declare that the annual incidence of influenza infection varies between 5% and 20% of population, I'd say that's pretty conclusive evidence that the homeopathic preventative has, on average, no effect whatsoever.

Not to mention the appalling grammar...
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:10 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubyRose
Thanks, Annie. I may consider this in the future but I have been taking Echinacea to no avail, so maybe traditional methods are what I need now.

Ruby
Trust your instincts - you know what your body needs. A good naturopath isn't just about echinacea, or oregano oil, or whatever is the "in" natural remedy - they do look at homeopathic remedies yes, but they look at your whole body and history and come up with more than just an over the counter solution.

But you must do what you feel is right for you - there are naysayers all over the place - those who say the jabs are mumbo jumbo and those that say naturopathy (or homeopathy - though there is a difference) is mumbojumbo. Ultimately you gotta do what you gotta do so that you feel human.

As you can see above there are those that have gotten the jabs and believe in them, and those, like me, who've seen it do nothing so question its validity.

I do believe that if you listen to your gut instinct it'll tell you what you want to do Either way I really hope you get well soon, continued illness is just so exhausting and frustrating.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:13 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
No. Really not.

I suspect Leith has become confused by the paragraph on this page or somewhere similar, that states

That's disingenuous to the point of almost being criminal. "A respected organization recommends action A. We want to sell you some mumbo-jumbo, and by associating ourselves with the respected organization by dropping their name, we want to give our mumbo-jumbo a veil of authenticity."
Ah yes, i must dash out and buy some. Why use the proven, safe, free vaccine wehen i can have some water that remembers a bit of pus.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:17 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC
Trust your instincts - you know what your body needs. A good naturopath isn't just about echinacea, or oregano oil, or whatever is the "in" natural remedy - they do look at homeopathic remedies yes, but they look at your whole body and history and come up with more than just an over the counter solution.

But you must do what you feel is right for you - there are naysayers all over the place - those who say the jabs are mumbo jumbo and those that say naturopathy (or homeopathy - though there is a difference) is mumbojumbo. Ultimately you gotta do what you gotta do so that you feel human.
T
As you can see above there are those that have gotten the jabs and believe in them, and those, like me, who've seen it do nothing so question its validity.

I do believe that if you listen to your gut instinct it'll tell you what you want to do Either way I really hope you get well soon, continued illness is just so exhausting and frustrating.
I agree with your last sentence but the rest is just dangerous rubbish. How can you say you have seen the flu shot do nothing when the incidence of flu in an immunised bpopulation is vastly reduced. Others having the shot protects you as well though no doubt you put this down to your taking diluted pus.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot to mention that they also consult your bank balance and credit rating.

Charlatan thieves flogging snake oil. Oh, wait, water that once used to contain a molecule of snake oil. Maybe.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:23 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Ah yes, i must dash out and buy some. Why use the proven, safe, free vaccine wehen i can have some water that remembers a bit of pus.
Ha brilliant Bats! The NHS in the UK have got all the screen savers in hospital flashing up nasty bug pictures/flue kills/get the vaccine now. Even I'm convinced after spending most of yesterday watching it rotate

Last edited by Tirytory; Oct 18th 2013 at 9:25 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:24 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, I'm so pro vaccination that I don't need much convincing!!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a flu shot once in 2010 when my employer paid for it, didn't have any issues with it, didn't get the flu, but then again I haven't had the flu in over a decade, no kids, nothing puts me into a high risk category, so I don't get generally.

I'd trust the flu shot over any so called natural remedy or homeopathic stuff with no real science behind them.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I always get the flu shot, snd had the Pneumovax vaccine a few years ago. I haen't had my annual bout of bronchitis since

The flu shot does not give you flu. You get a sore arm for a day or so, that's it.
I don't even get a sore arm.
I'm diabetic, so's Mrs BristolUK. She also has a whole host of other things and is treated with Remicade that affects her immune system.

It's recommended that we all get it. We do.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubyRose
Please can you share your experiences of having a flu shot. I have had nasty bouts of flu several times last year and this year. Now the doctor has recommended I have a flu shot and a pneumonia vaccination. About eleven years ago I came down with pneumonia and needed hospitalisation. The doctor says I will be protected for ten years with the pneumonia vaccination but will need a yearly flu shot. He feels that I fall into a high risk category because I work with children in an educational settings.

What are your thoughts on both these jabs. I am quite worried about my health and I need to hear your responses on whether the flu jab helped regarding how severe a flu infection you came down with and is it a good idea.

Thank you all.

regards
Ruby
I'm having the flu jab next week, and as I've recently been diagnosed as a dibetic, then I'm also getting the pneumonia one, of course it's free here. Had flu jabs every year since I reached 65.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 12:31 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The first year we were here I had an awful cold, might even have been flu, it was that bad, couldn't out of bed etc, so the following year I took advantage of the subsidized flu shot from work and haven't got round to getting one since and probably won't this year, I've not been ill with a cold or flu since the first year aside from a few sniffles now and then BUT I have had laryngitis twice since living here.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:41 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Since moving to canada I got my flu shot for the past 6 winters with no ill effects.

2 years ago I began taking daily vitamin D and haven't even caught a cold and feel like I have more energy over the dark winter days. Vitamin D has the added benefit of helping with Calcium absorption which is great news for me.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 7:06 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I should have said that the jab is free for certain people, those over 65 and those in certain occupations, such as the NHS. Most of the pharmacies currently have posters in their windows offering the flu jab at a price, ASDA have them for £7.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:00 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your last sentence but the rest is just dangerous rubbish. How can you say you have seen the flu shot do nothing when the incidence of flu in an immunised bpopulation is vastly reduced. Others having the shot protects you as well though no doubt you put this down to your taking diluted pus.
Excuse me - at what point did I say that I took them? What an assumption. What I do personally is of nobody's concern or business ... I don't judge you for your choices and resent being judged for what you perceive are mine. You don't live my life. I am pro CHOICE in all things and try to get balanced information.

I'm merely pointing out an observation I have made that I know people who have had the flu shot and still gotten the flu - that's what I meant by seeing it have no effect. Yes, the shot has benefited alot of people - but equally it hasn't benefited alot of people. Statistically they cannot protect against all the strains but make a determined guess at which ones appear to be the most likely.
I'm also pointing out that I have seen people take naturopathic remedies and gotten better for it. My daughter is a good example - you can't cry placebo to a baby who wouldn't know the difference. That's what started me thinking about it.

And yes, Novo, some are charlatans - and equally some allopathic doctors are quacks. It's all about finding a health practitioner that you trust and if they get you better then you're likely to continue to trust them, yes?

And that's why I say trust your instincts for what is right for you - and when people throw insults and derogatory comments about alternative methods of treatment then all you do is perpetuate a fear culture where we hand over power over our bodies and mind to someone/thing other than ourselves.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 2:43 pm
limey party pooper

Excuse me - at what point did I say that I took them? What an assumption. What I do personally is of nobody's concern or business ... I don't judge you for your choices and resent being judged for what you perceive are mine. You don't live my life. I am pro CHOICE in all things and try to get balanced information.

I'm merely pointing out an observation I have made that I know people who have had the flu shot and still gotten the flu - that's what I meant by seeing it have no effect. Yes, the shot has benefited alot of people - but equally it hasn't benefited alot of people. Statistically they cannot protect against all the strains but make a determined guess at which ones appear to be the most likely.
I'm also pointing out that I have seen people take naturopathic remedies and gotten better for it. My daughter is a good example - you can't cry placebo to a baby who wouldn't know the difference. That's what started me thinking about it.

And yes, Novo, some are charlatans - and equally some allopathic doctors are quacks. It's all about finding a health practitioner that you trust and if they get you better then you're likely to continue to trust them, yes?

And that's why I say trust your instincts for what is right for you - and when people throw insults and derogatory comments about alternative methods of treatment then all you do is perpetuate a fear culture where we hand over power over our bodies and mind to someone/thing other than ourselves.
So you are advocating using something you don't use yourself?

Evidence based practice shows that the flu shots work, statistics, peer reviewed papers, repeatable studies. All evidence.

People also say they havev had the flu when they haven't, they have been sick but it's usually a nasty cold, or pneumonia. You don't get the strain of flu that you you have been vaccinated against.

Where do you stand on other vaccines? Polio? Tetanus? MMR? Meningitis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.