Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The ex dog owners thread.

The ex dog owners thread.

Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ex dog owners thread.

Originally Posted by caretaker
On Monday they told me they wouldn't be able to take her in the car and I was sceptical but when I saw the dog yesterday I knew they were right. Here are some emoticons for those who think they have half a clue what went on there. isn't there one for the finger, since name calling isn't allowed? It was about what was easiest for the dog, not what was easiest for the owners, and that's the important thing.
Understood, but couldn't they have asked the vet to come to the dog if the dog was physically unable to be taken?

I appreciate you did what you thought was the right thing to do under the circumstances, it just seems a little barbaric knowing the dog must have been aware of what was going on.

It can't have been easy for you, regardless.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 8:16 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Not too bad, it needed doing and I'm not the one missing her - when I had to have my sister's cat put down a month ago in the Okanagan I was choked for a couple of weeks, but this isn't too bad.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Linguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to behold

Understood, but couldn't they have asked the vet to come to the dog if the dog was physically unable to be taken?

I appreciate you did what you thought was the right thing to do under the circumstances, it just seems a little barbaric knowing the dog must have been aware of what was going on.

Agreed!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linguo1988
Agreed!
How many dogs are able to appreciate that they are going to be shot?

Why is it more "humane" to euthanize via injection by a vet rather that shoot an animal dead?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 8:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Why is it more "humane" to euthanize via injection by a vet rather that shoot an animal dead?
Do you think palliative care physicians should shoot the terminally ill through the head rather than up their morphine dose to fatal levels?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 9:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Duh - by the gun in someone's hands pointing at it's head?

It's more humane because they just fall asleep and die rather than getting a bullet through their brain.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

I learned fairly recently that my paternal grandfather had been euthanized at his request by his family doctor. That happened 40 yrs ago now.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Do you think palliative care physicians should shoot the terminally ill through the head rather than up their morphine dose to fatal levels?
Is that permitted anywhere in the "civilized" world?

Duh - by the gun in someone's hands pointing at it's head?

It's more humane because they just fall asleep and die rather than getting a bullet through their brain.
Are they any less dead?

I attended one of my dogs' deaths, the vet broke the needle which administered the substance after about 25% of it had been administered, and then struggled like hell to get another needle into the appropriate vein on another leg. The first amount of drug wasn't enough to either knock him out or put him to sleep, but was enough to cause him huge respiratory problems.

He fought like mad to live but it took him some considerable time to "fall asleep". Given the option, I would have put a bullet into his brain had I been able to do so while he was struggling to live.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Sep 11th 2013 at 10:24 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 10:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Is that permitted anywhere in the "civilized" world?

Are they any less dead?
Let's get back to dogs, shall we? We have another thread for people with guns pointed at animals.

I still miss Geordie.

BTW, the cost of using a vet for putting pets to sleep came up tangentially earlier. I don't know what it cost for us (the OH put it on a credit card, which I pay off each month without really checking), but I was pleased when I got back from France that the vet we used had donated part of his fees (again I don't know how much) to the Guelph University Department of Animal Care.

There was a nice letter from the latter sympathizing for our loss and thanking us (?) for the donation in the pile of mail upon our return.

Nice touch.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 11th 2013 at 10:26 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

A sad loss,I am on my 5th Border Collie now,had 3 as I grew up,then another when I left the parents,then when the kids rabbit died 3 years ago that gave me the excuse to get another Border Collie who we brought with us to Alberta.
My dog is more excited to see me after work than my 3 kids are!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 10:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Novocastrian, I know you do so I've erased the long tirade I just spent a half hour writing. It would have been wasted anyway, even in all caps.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 10:54 pm
Born again atheist

Sorry Novocastrian, I know you do so I've erased the long tirade I just spent a half hour writing. It would have been wasted anyway, even in all caps.
ALL CAPS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!

Cheers.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 10:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by scootb
My dog is more excited to see me after work than my 3 kids are!
If you want to know who loves you more, your dog or your wife, just lock them both in the trunk of the car for a few hours then open it up and you'll see who's glad to see you!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 10:57 pm
Born again atheist

If you want to know who loves you more, your dog or your wife, just lock them both in the trunk of the car for a few hours then open it up and you'll see who's glad to see you!
Old Apr 5th 2014, 4:08 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acer rose
<snip>
I hope we have the strength you had when the time is right.
Crap. That happened sooner than we thought. Much sooner. Metastatic cancer. Bad form to bring reopen old threads and quote self but hoping to find something to soothe the soul here. Really feeling like crap.

Last edited by acer rose; Apr 5th 2014 at 4:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.