Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Essential Aus viewing?

Essential Aus viewing?

Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Essential Aus viewing?

Hi guys
Just got the tip from Oztennis to watch "The Castle". Now, I was just wondering what Oz telly etc. to catch up on Aussie culture etc., so we know what people are on about and to pass the time visa-waiting... Any other ideas (apart from the soap-operas)?
Larissa
Asking because hubby grew up without a TV, so he's still learning about stuff I took forgranted!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Essential Aus viewing?

Originally posted by Larissa
Hi guys
Just got the tip from Oztennis to watch "The Castle". Now, I was just wondering what Oz telly etc. to catch up on Aussie culture etc., so we know what people are on about and to pass the time visa-waiting... Any other ideas (apart from the soap-operas)?
Larissa
Asking because hubby grew up without a TV, so he's still learning about stuff I took forgranted!
Well, if you have digital satellite:

145, 146 and 181 Travel Channels have lots of programs on Oz. 181 has Australia month in Nov but it is just finishing - Tasting Australia, Discover Australia, Postcards from Australia, Great Railway Adventures in Australia, Oz Odyssey etc have been shown most days for 4 weeks. Some of them will continue in Dec.

Davis Cup final in Melbourne - tomorrow and Sunday (Sky Sports - live and repeated during the day). First day today it was 31 degrees and not one cloud in the sky.

Flying Doctors (although a soap) used to be on UK Gold every day but it hasn't been on for the last fortnight - might re-appear soon.

Sorry if you don't have a ' dish' (not to be confused with the sister film by the company who made The Castle!).

OzTennis
Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:11 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Essential Aus viewing?

Originally posted by Larissa
Hi guys
Larissa
There's some pretty good Aussie films out there. I enjoyed the Dish (which I think was from the same people responsible for The Castle) and Strictly Ballroom. They give some indication of how the Aussies like to think of themselves at least. Of course for a truer picture you could always get some Sir Les Patterson videos.

Steer well clear of Aussie television though unless life has lost all meaning and purpose.