Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The ex dog owners thread.

The ex dog owners thread.

Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default The ex dog owners thread.

I'm sure many of you have been through this before, perhaps several times.

This is the first time for me, but just today, just this evening, we've had to say goodbye to our friend of the last 14 years.

RIP Geordie the Border Collie, the best friend any of us have ever had.

It had to be done but we all feel a bit conflicted about it somehow.

Maybe though I'd like to go that way when necessary.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:34 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ex dog owners thread.

14 ehh, that's a lot of years of fun for a dog. We have been through it, few times now, and had the same mix feelings each time. Sadness at a loss but relieved to see the dog just go off to sleep and stop suffering.

Have a dram and think of the fun life the dog had with your family.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:51 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear that Novo

"Dogs lives are too short...their only fault, really."
-Agnes Sligh Turnbull-
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

So sorry for your loss, we went through the same thing last August.

There are conflicting thoughts about whether you are doing the right thing, and is it the right time... but in our case, we just knew that Nikki had had enough and was ready to go.... Still a sad experience though....
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry Novo, despite what others might say it is like losing a member of the family who is cherished.. and I have no doubt the next few days or weeks are going to be sad.

It's such a hard decision to make, I know.

"Everywhere I look, you should be but aren't."

Sad times.

Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Heartfelt sympathies. Have been where you are now on two previous occasions, also border collies. Glenna was almost 17 when I had to have her put down due to a stroke, and Shona was 15 when she developed a serious illness which resulted in the inevitable. It was heartbreaking to be sure but on looking back the pleasure, loyalty and love they unconditionally and unselfishly provided me with is without value.The decision was so hard but I felt I owed it to them, as I am sure you did too, ending their suffering. If they were able, they would be sure to thank you for loving them enough to put their feelings before your own or your families.

My current collie, Nike, who is eight and my soul mate, had TPLO surgery almost two months ago which unfortunately is not going well due to a MRSP supper bug he contracted during the surgery which despite antibiotics we don't seem to be able to get rid of. This will likely result in further surgery a couple of months down the road. Would I do it again with hind sight? Not so sure however we have embarked on the journey and as long as he is not suffering (which he is not at this time) we will see it through but always mindful the fact that he and his quality of life must always come first.

Feeling particularly vulnerable at this time as my post will convey, but again, I have no doubt you made the right decision for your family and most importantly, for the little guy that has given you all so much.

RIP Geordie, say hallo to Glenna & Shona for me, they are seldom far from my thoughts
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:17 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Safe travels across the rainbow bridge Geordie.

Novo I'm truly sorry for your loss, I never got the whole 'dog' thing until I got my Henry, he is 7 already, I am dreading life without him, our pupsters do become such a huge part of our families. So sad for you
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:51 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences Novo, hard to understand how much the little f*****s can get under your skin hey.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 5:30 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

xxxxx
Old Jun 25th 2013, 5:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny, but everytime I read a post like Novo's, it brings back to mind all the dogs I've owned, and that my parents owned, I remember all their names, and what heppened to them all. Have lost a total of 9, including the two my parents owned, only one of whick was killed in an accident on the roads, just 9 months old and got onto a main road and ran across to get to another dog. All the others were old age, except two, one died in the night from a burst blood vessel in her abdomen, the other from torsion.

It makes me feel sad even now, so I know how you are feeling Novo, my sympathies..
Old Jun 25th 2013, 6:10 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very sorry to hear that. I undertand the conflicting emotions as we had to do that to an ailing pet last year and that conflict makes it very hard. The only thing you can do now is remember the good and funny stuff.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

So sorry. It's the only time I have seen my other half cry like a baby. We still miss ours, but the pain is worth the joy that you get from them. Our last one was put down in January and I can now, only just, look at pictures of him. They are never far from my thoughts, but I can now smile and think of how they used to play me up. It is the one kind thing that you can do for them when their time is at end. It's the one way you can repay them for all the loyalty they gave you.
I hope the pain soon eases and the fond memories begin.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:30 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your dog. As an adult, I have been through the situation twice and it is not pleasant. Hopefully, the good times with Geordie will be the times you remember most.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 9:54 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Novo I'm sitting having a snivel on your behalf....my condolences, and sadly it's not an exclusive club. Three years ago when our French bathmat died, the whole family went into decline, we had her before my son was born and she was like a second mum to him, always there. Yes, she was just a dog, but she was a very much loved part of our team. I immediately said, never again! However, we now have a knee high Cairn Terrier, who makes us laugh aloud every day. He's a monster, chases the cat, eats socks and has the merriest eyes an animal could have. The animal goes, but the memory of a shared sense of mutual trust with another creature stays...even when it hurts like hell for a bit...Very Best Wishes.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Novo
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, we have been down that road three times before. The dogs are so much a big part of the family.

Sincere condolences

MJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.