British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The ex dog owners thread. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/ex-dog-owners-thread-801127/)

oopsbuddy Jul 3rd 2013 9:08 am

Re: The ex dog owners thread.

Thanks all. Just re-reading my own last post again, and off I went again with the bloody leaky eyes!

Neither option (sudden or deferred) is easy, the loss is the same, but truth be known we had been anticipating that day for a long time. We all accepted that although we could keep him going longer (he was well minded) his personal quality of life was always deteriorating, so it was the best thing in the end.

As an aside, our youngest daughter is away for a few weeks camp, and although I told her openly before she went that we would be taking him to see the vet to see if anything else could be done for him, and not to be surprised if the zero-option was the one, she accepted this and said her preliminary goodbyes, but asked us not to tell her (while she was away) if it did happen. So we didn't, but then she got a sympathy message from a cousin on the other side of the world...and all hell broke loose (bloody Facebook!!). At least she is with her best friends, but that blew her day completely out of the water, to say the least!

Anyway, enough said, we'll move on and get a new family member in due course from the local rescue pound, ...but not for a little while yet.

MillieF Jul 4th 2013 12:53 am

You've all given me a good dose of the leaky eyes. But many thanks, through your posts I have relived many an unhappy memory, but they have also reminded me of so many of the happy days that came before them. Long live daft buggers loving their extremely unappreciative but completely loving pets:thumbsup: I will be the first one to say "that's it No more pets", but give me a few months and some other living thing will arrive.

Early days Novo, but do you ever envisage another little hairy place in your French home peut ĂȘtre?

mandymoochops Jul 4th 2013 1:03 am

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 10783634)
You've all given me a good dose of the leaky eyes. But many thanks, through your posts I have relived many an unhappy memory, but they have also reminded me of so many of the happy days that came before them. Long live daft buggers loving their extremely unappreciative but completely loving pets:thumbsup: I will be the first one to say "that's it No more pets", but give me a few months and some other living thing will arrive.

Early days Novo, but do you ever envisage another little hairy place in your French home peut ĂȘtre?

You know - I'm not sure whether there is a right time for another one (bit like having a baby!) when our Springer died last year I thought I kew my hubby would want another but it was the same night that he was online looking for pups. Some have different ways of getting over their grief, for my hubby in a way I think he thought that if he got a new one straight away, he wouldn't have to deal with not having one there.

I thought originally it was somehow disrespecting the memory of the original dog to pretty much get another straight away - So thats what happened a couple weeks later a new Springer (and then a rescue Golden retriever!!!!!!!) arrived, but I certainly couldn't imagine life without one or two dogs - and novo, your pal had the best life ever I can imagine - I'd be sharing that love with one that needs it in the future.

caretaker Jul 4th 2013 1:39 am

Good post Mandy, I should probably have gotten another dog but thought I'd be unfair to it, comparing it to Bogey. Now I think maybe I could of trusted myself more. I had it bad, too, I'd see a dog turd on the road and burst into tears!

Greenhill Jul 4th 2013 2:44 am

A house without a dog is a house without a soul. Not sure where or how I picked up this phrase recently but I really just prefer to be places where dogs are welcome or present, rather than anywhere else.

oopsbuddy Jul 4th 2013 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Greenhill (Post 10783750)
A house without a dog is a house without a soul. Not sure where or how I picked up this phrase recently but I really just prefer to be places where dogs are welcome or present, rather than anywhere else.

Nail, head and hit....!;)

MillieF Jul 4th 2013 10:29 am

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy (Post 10784139)
Nail, head and hit....!;)

+1

Tangram Jul 4th 2013 11:51 am

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 10783642)
You know - I'm not sure whether there is a right time for another one (bit like having a baby!) when our Springer died last year I thought I kew my hubby would want another but it was the same night that he was online looking for pups. Some have different ways of getting over their grief, for my hubby in a way I think he thought that if he got a new one straight away, he wouldn't have to deal with not having one there.

I thought originally it was somehow disrespecting the memory of the original dog to pretty much get another straight away - So thats what happened a couple weeks later a new Springer (and then a rescue Golden retriever!!!!!!!) arrived, but I certainly couldn't imagine life without one or two dogs - and novo, your pal had the best life ever I can imagine - I'd be sharing that love with one that needs it in the future.

Pretty much the same situation after our Springer was lost. Deb was for holding off but within 2 months we had our short lived German Shepherd.

We are holding off this time as we are doing a UK visit at Christmas so it will probably be next year, although I would get one now. House is empty without my friend.

Souvy Jul 4th 2013 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Greenhill (Post 10783750)

I'm not a dog person but I can see the logic in that sentiment. I also like homes where I can pee in the corner of the living room with impunity.

<wanders off to stroke cat>

Novocastrian Jul 4th 2013 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 10784580)
I'm not a dog person but I can see the logic in that sentiment. I also like homes where I can pee in the corner of the living room with impunity.

<wanders off to stroke cat>

Remind me to never invite you home after drinks. ;)

Novocastrian Sep 5th 2013 2:16 am

Bump. We got back from France last Thursday and although the break was a distraction, we still miss him terribly now that we're "home".

Millie asked upthread if we'd get another dog when we're permanently in France and right now my vote is "yes". SWMBO says no, although she misses him much, much more than me. To be resolved.

Siouxie Sep 5th 2013 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10886396)
Bump. We got back from France last Thursday and although the break was a distraction, we still miss him terribly now that we're "home".

Millie asked upthread if we'd get another dog when we're permanently in France and right now my vote is "yes". SWMBO says no, although she misses him much, much more than me. To be resolved.

Welcome home :)

I understand how your wife feels - 2 years since I lost my girl and I still can't imagine having another dog yet.

:(

Theoldfields Sep 5th 2013 5:47 am

I think it's a really tough one. If you think the new dog has to be a replacement for the one you've lost, the one you've got such fond memories of the answer will always be 'no' or 'not yet' but if you think of the next one as another companion and how much joy they bring and you can give to them then the answer is always 'yes' and it seems a shame not to share all that love with another dog.

In other words it is whatever feels right for you.

PS - I do like your Rumpole references to SWMBO

MillieF Sep 5th 2013 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 10886413)
Welcome home :)

I understand how your wife feels - 2 years since I lost my girl and I still can't imagine having another dog yet.

:(

Nice to have you back Novo....I lost my French bath mat of a terrier when our son was 10, and we'd had her 13 years...we never knew her age as she was from the SPA. It was dreadful, and we knew we could never replace her and we were moving to Canada two years later. We were happy without a dog for a year, and then suddenly the dog shaped hole in the heart started to itch...the abandoned kitten we had found (who came here too, didn't bridge the gap).

Eventually we gave in, and this time went for 'brand new', I've always had dogs from shelters, but this time we found a good French breeder, took my son and he got to choose his own puppy...a brindled Cairn Terrier called Charly. Two years later, we couldn't be more happy, this joker has brought havoc to our lives, he chases our cats (who adore him) but we needed our dogless period, and everyone is going to have their own threshold on that.

I hadn't realised how 'sad' I was without a dog in my life, my husband is away a lot, and my son is becoming more independent....and I am a bit lonely here....I can't remember which politician said "if you want a friend, buy a dog". But it's very true.

I will never forget our beloved "Millie"! But I couldn't mourn her forever, and the time was right. I wish you both the very best of luck in recognising 'that' time if it comes along:thumbup:

Animal Sep 5th 2013 2:10 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Theoldfields (Post 10886587)
If you think the new dog has to be a replacement for the one you've lost, the one you've got such fond memories of the answer will always be 'no' or 'not yet' but if you think of the next one as another companion and how much joy they bring and you can give to them then the answer is always 'yes' and it seems a shame not to share all that love with another dog.

Very true. We went nealy 18 months before we got a puppy. We didn't want to replace but there was something missing in the house. It was just the right time.

She's 4 months now and we've had her since she was 7 weeks old and she's part of the family and as if she's always been there.

We wont forget the dog we lost and I've even messed up a couple of times and called her the name of the our last dog :frown:

Do you like her collar :thumbsup: