British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The ex dog owners thread. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/ex-dog-owners-thread-801127/)

Souvy Jun 25th 2013 10:54 am

Re: The ex dog owners thread.

Sorry to hear that Novo.

I'm not really a dog person but I can easily see how people become attached to them. My son's dog (Border Collie/Rottie mix) is possibly the nicest thing on the planet. Even I adore her.

Zoe Bell Jun 25th 2013 10:59 am

Sorry to hear that
Border collies are a beautiful breed
So intelligent and mischievious and totally and utterly stupid at the same time

I'm sure yours appreciated the fact that you were a responsible owner to the very end
It pisses me off when people let animals suffer because they can't bring themselves to do the right thing

I still miss our border collie
Grew up with her :(

Jingsamichty Jun 25th 2013 11:31 am

Sorry you've lost your pal, Novo. 14 years is a lot of fun together.

dbd33 Jun 25th 2013 11:34 am

Sorry to hear that.

oopsbuddy Jun 25th 2013 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10772268)
I'm sure many of you have been through this before, perhaps several times.

This is the first time for me, but just today, just this evening, we've had to say goodbye to our friend of the last 14 years.

RIP Geordie the Border Collie, the best friend any of us have ever had.

It had to be done but we all feel a bit conflicted about it somehow.

Maybe though I'd like to go that way when necessary.

It's a coincidence Novo, but we were there yesterday evening too...more or less. We were putting off the inevitable final visit to the vet for an investigation of the latest small issue because we knew we would be offered the same option. Our golden lab is an unknown age, as he came to us via a friend almost 9 years ago (he is probably 14 or so), so the kids grew up with him. He is on 5 different meds a day, some of them twice a day, but although not in pain (yet) he is getting uncomfortable and his breathing is getting more laboured. We brought him home yesterday and the vet will call in on Friday and do the right thing, as my eldest wants to see him again before he goes.

His only job in life was to cheer people up, and he still does that very well. So rather than wait until he is in pain, we will help him on his way.

Very, very sad and heavy day yesterday, and more ahead before the weekend.

My condolences as we also feel as conflicted as you describe.

Souvy Jun 25th 2013 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10772268)
I'm sure many of you have been through this before, perhaps several times.

This is the first time for me, but just today, just this evening, we've had to say goodbye to our friend of the last 14 years.

RIP Geordie the Border Collie, the best friend any of us have ever had.

It had to be done but we all feel a bit conflicted about it somehow.

Maybe though I'd like to go that way when necessary.

You did the right thing. It's a pity we can't be so civilised when it comes to humans.

Animal Jun 25th 2013 12:20 pm

I know the feeling Novo and had to go through it myself and it's the same every time.

Last February we had to have our Labrador, Cassie, of 13 years put to sleep. I was actually here and my wife called me from the UK - I still fill up now when thinking about it and still bothers me I never got to say a real goodbye.

She was well travelled though - we had her in the UK from a puppy, moved to the US for 3 years, took her there. Took her back to the UK and were hoping to bring her here but wasn't to be :(

We actually pick up our black lab puppy this coming Saturday and have named her after Cassie's mother - Ellie.

We said we wouldn't get another for a few years but the house just wasn't the same without a dog running around and we have lasted longer than we had expected.

bats Jun 25th 2013 12:37 pm

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. It is a hard choice but you made the right one.

Novocastrian Jun 25th 2013 12:44 pm

Thank you all for your sympathy and understanding.

This morning I feel like Peter Pan. I've lost my shadow.

I need a distraction and luckily I'm examining a PhD defence in a couple of hours. The poor sod'll never know what hit him.

Animal Jun 25th 2013 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10772823)
This morning I feel like Peter Pan. I've lost my shadow.

:( One of the biggest things I noticed the most was if we left her at home and went out somewhere. We no longer got the great excited, tail wagging welcome home.

morayeel Jun 25th 2013 1:03 pm

my heart goes out to you. You'll be able to look back, in time, with fond memories and know your dog was cherished. I lost a cocker spaniel after 14 years and an adorable mixed breed dog, Bracken, after 14 years and it was heart wrenching. Just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss. They are just like family members.

Mikeypm Jun 25th 2013 1:03 pm

Sorry to hear your news Novo :(, I have had a mulitude of pets that I have lost in my life up to this stage and its never an easy choice to make but its thr right one as they have given you so much :)

Auld Yin Jun 25th 2013 1:34 pm

I'm truly sorry to learn this. I know you'll miss your buddy terribly as i will mine when that dreaded time comes. They demand so little yet give us so much.

Almost Canadian Jun 25th 2013 1:50 pm

Very sorry to hear that.

ExKiwilass Jun 25th 2013 2:10 pm

sorry to hear this :( x