British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   The ex dog owners thread. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/ex-dog-owners-thread-801127/)

Tangram Jun 25th 2013 6:29 pm

Re: The ex dog owners thread.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10772268)
I'm sure many of you have been through this before, perhaps several times.

This is the first time for me, but just today, just this evening, we've had to say goodbye to our friend of the last 14 years.

RIP Geordie the Border Collie, the best friend any of us have ever had.

It had to be done but we all feel a bit conflicted about it somehow.

Maybe though I'd like to go that way when necessary.

Sympathies for the wretched and stupid conflicting feelings you are perhaps going through. I swung from "it's only a dog" to "I just lost my best friend".

Lost both German Shepherds at the vets and literally lost our Springer without closure. Not sure which was worse.

caretaker Jun 25th 2013 10:54 pm

My condolences.

Novocastrian Jun 25th 2013 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 10773245)
Sympathies for the wretched and stupid conflicting feelings you are perhaps going through. I swung from "it's only a dog" to "I just lost my best friend".

I'm trying, honest. It'll take a bit longer but of course you're right.

Coming home this evening to what was, coincidently, a house devoid of people and, of course, dogs, wasn't very nice.

Novocastrian Jun 25th 2013 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy (Post 10772775)
It's a coincidence Novo, but we were there yesterday evening too...more or less. We were putting off the inevitable final visit to the vet for an investigation of the latest small issue because we knew we would be offered the same option. Our golden lab is an unknown age, as he came to us via a friend almost 9 years ago (he is probably 14 or so), so the kids grew up with him. He is on 5 different meds a day, some of them twice a day, but although not in pain (yet) he is getting uncomfortable and his breathing is getting more laboured. We brought him home yesterday and the vet will call in on Friday and do the right thing, as my eldest wants to see him again before he goes.

His only job in life was to cheer people up, and he still does that very well. So rather than wait until he is in pain, we will help him on his way.

Very, very sad and heavy day yesterday, and more ahead before the weekend.

My condolences as we also feel as conflicted as you describe.

This got a bit lost. My sympathies for your predicament too.

Steve_P Jun 25th 2013 11:55 pm

My deepest sympathies Novo.

Had to make that decision and trip to the vet many years ago with our little Corgie, that was extremely close to the hardest thing I've ever done.

Novocastrian Jun 26th 2013 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 10773529)
My deepest sympathies Novo.

Had to make that decision and trip to the vet many years ago with our little Corgie, that was extremely close to the hardest thing I've ever done.

Thanks Steve. At least I've learned that my new Borg eyes still have functioning tear ducts.

I'll be over it soon. It was a first for me.

HGerchikov Jun 26th 2013 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10772823)
Thank you all for your sympathy and understanding.

This morning I feel like Peter Pan. I've lost my shadow.

I need a distraction and luckily I'm examining a PhD defence in a couple of hours. The poor sod'll never know what hit him.

So sorry to hear this, my sympathy goes to you (and the guy trying to get his PhD).

oopsbuddy Jun 26th 2013 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10773495)
This got a bit lost. My sympathies for your predicament too.

Thanks Novo.

Jingle Jun 26th 2013 3:26 pm

So sorry to hear this Novo. My heart and thoughts go out to you.

There is nothing so bittersweet as to love those who we must one day let go. Never forget the joy - we are lucky to share our lives with such wonderful creatures... none are ever forgotten.

J :)

Alberta_Rose Jun 26th 2013 3:36 pm

So sorry to hear this Novo. Of course it takes me back to the day we had our poor Kezzie put to sleep, another border collie, aged 16, and I still miss her, especially when we go on her favourite walks! After all these years. Border collies are brilliant dogs!

I'm not sure if we will ever have a dog again. We have cats now, and they are enough at present, but of course they are quite different. Cats definitely have their own agenda!

You did the last loving thing you could for your dog. My son works at a vets, and came home sad yesterday as some people dropped their sick cat off to be euthanized, and just drove away. He was sad that they didn't seem to care, and so sad that the poor cat had to be cuddled and comforted by himself, a stranger, in its last moments.

Ok, now I've made myself cry! :(

Animal Jun 26th 2013 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose (Post 10774421)

Me too :cry_smile:

Theoldfields Jun 26th 2013 4:02 pm

Novo - so sorry to hear about your loss. We've had a few over the years and it really is like losing a member of the family but the love they give over the years makes it worthwhile and we wouldn't be without a dog as a trusted and faithful companion.

Oopsbuddy - I remember your position oh so well. You sound like you know exactly what you're doing and all any dog can ask for is a caring and loving owner who has their best interests at heart and you've clearly got that. The only advice I can give is trust yourself and when the time comes to say goodbye don't spend time afterwards second guessing yourself. Good luck.

Jingle Jun 26th 2013 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose (Post 10774421)
So sorry to hear this Novo. Of course it takes me back to the day we had our poor Kezzie put to sleep, another border collie, aged 16, and I still miss her, especially when we go on her favourite walks! After all these years. Border collies are brilliant dogs!

I'm not sure if we will ever have a dog again. We have cats now, and they are enough at present, but of course they are quite different. Cats definitely have their own agenda!

You did the last loving thing you could for your dog. My son works at a vets, and came home sad yesterday as some people dropped their sick cat off to be euthanized, and just drove away. He was sad that they didn't seem to care, and so sad that the poor cat had to be cuddled and comforted by himself, a stranger, in its last moments.

Oh no .... now you've set me off too .... J

Animal Jun 26th 2013 4:52 pm

Oopsbuddy - I agree with Theoldfields in that it is an absolutely horrible decision to make though it is probably the best decision to make for the dog.

Make the most of the short time you've got left

I feel for you and Novo - I really do.

mandymoochops Jun 26th 2013 5:27 pm

I won't post "The Rainbow Bridge" poem or the whole of BE will be in floods of tears, but it's a beautiful read at times like this.