British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Everyone's gone to the movies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/everyones-gone-movies-869229/)

BristolUK Dec 15th 2015 12:59 pm

Everyone's gone to the movies

Now we're alone at last ;)

This is the sequel to Film Night 2015

BristolUK Jan 1st 2016 6:46 pm

Re: Everyone's gone to the movies

Bridge of Spies

Finished it this afternoon. I didn't expect Tom Hanks as a lawyer rather than a 'spy' but the movie was every bit as good as I hoped.

Lovely dialogue. "You don't seem worried."

"Will it help?" :)

I'm sure it was a little hollywoodified but still a thoroughly good watch.

BristolUK Jan 3rd 2016 1:41 am

I can't stand Will Ferrell but I'd seen a trailer of Get Hard and thought I'd give it a go.

I didn't loathe it so that's at least an improvement.

Just what is his appeal?

I liked Ted - although Ted 2 was better - and I can happily watch Horrible Bosses 1&2 and I really enjoyed The Hangover movies so I'm fine with that kind of immature, knockabout tacky stuff but for the life of me I can't see the appeal of Will Ferrell.

Oink Jan 3rd 2016 2:15 am

Aren't you a bit worried that all this pirated content is going to play on you conscience?

Maybe you should just go to the cinema to see them.

BristolUK Jan 3rd 2016 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11826503)
Aren't you a bit worried that all this pirated content is going to play on you conscience?

That's an easy one. Given none of my money goes to dodgy websites or characters and nobody else loses money that they'd otherwise get from me, the answer is no. ;)

Maybe you should just go to the cinema to see them.
For the purpose of this thread and the previous one, I have focused on the more known or recent. The overwhelming majority of what I watch never gets to the cinema; I wouldn't know it existed but for the streaming sites; and then, of course, there's the Netflix subscription. :)

plasticcanuck Jan 3rd 2016 5:39 pm

Watched STILL ALICE last evening on Netflix. Good cast and very thought provoking. Julianne Moore won the 2015 Oscar, Golden Globe and bafta for her performance and IMO well deserved/worth watching.

MarkG Jan 4th 2016 4:38 pm

The 3D glasses for the new TV turned up ($15 from Amazon vs $99 from Best Buy), so I watched Dredd in 3D (which is clearly how it was meant to be seen) and Little Giants 3D, with slow-motion 3D chipmunk fights and mice fighting scorpions, then howling after they kill them. Oh, and 3D moose drool.

BristolUK Jan 8th 2016 1:51 am

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 11827776)
The 3D glasses for the new TV turned up

I had some cardboard ones from the TV Times (I think) many years ago.

They didn't fit well with ordinary glasses and everything being blue or red (or both) was a bit weird.

--------------------------------------------------------

Watched an odd 'christmas' movie tonight.

Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale

A nasty Santa and elves, disappearing children. It was, shall we say, different but watchable.

Oink Jan 8th 2016 2:44 am

Has anyone seen Kajaki or it may be known to you as Kilo Two Bravo? Its about as real as it gets on film. Everything from how they react, to their clothing and equipment, the civilian contractors etc. I recommend it.

Kilo Two Bravo (2014) - IMDb

Shard Jan 8th 2016 2:07 pm

The thing that is driving me crazy with Netflix (at least the UK iPad version) is the presentation of films on long rows, requiring lots of right-scrolling, and then subsequent rows re-displaying films that have already appeared. If anything, it seems to have got worse as you need to scroll through 400 titles which probably represent just 150 films (as there are so many repeats).

Does Netflix really think anyone is fooled by the presentation system? Ironically, it's possible to find additional available titles which are not displayed by using search. But on the whole good content is fairly limited IMO. May cancel.

Tangram Jan 8th 2016 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11831747)
The thing that is driving me crazy with Netflix (at least the UK iPad version) is the presentation of films on long rows, requiring lots of right-scrolling, and then subsequent rows re-displaying films that have already appeared. If anything, it seems to have got worse as you need to scroll through 400 titles which probably represent just 150 films (as there are so many repeats).

Does Netflix really think anyone is fooled by the presentation system? Ironically, it's possible to find additional available titles which are not displayed by using search. But on the whole good content is fairly limited IMO. May cancel.

Also, recommending things I have already watched and rated. If I've watched them and/or rated them, don't suggest them to me. Filter them out.

Almost Canadian Jan 8th 2016 3:44 pm

I simply use the search function (whether for a film or someone in it). Far more efficient

BristolUK Jan 8th 2016 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11831354)
Has anyone seen Kajaki

Downloading....;)

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11831807)
I simply use the search function (whether for a film or someone in it). Far more efficient

That's a good way for something you know exists or if you are looking for a particular actor, director whatever.

But there's an awful lot of stuff I come across (albeit not via Netflix) that I wouldn't have known about had it not been 'suggested' even if most suggestions are really of no relevance or have the most tenuous connection.

Atlantic Xpat Jan 8th 2016 4:18 pm

Couple of films currently on Netflix (Canada) that are worth watching:

Locke - Set entirely in a car with Tom Hardy's character driving and talking on a phone. Love, responsibility and concrete. It's a very powerful performance from Hardy & film to be recommended.

Margin Call - Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany, Jeremy Irons, Zachary Quinto. Film about the financial crisis & one group of traders in a bank. Jeremy Irons is superlative as the CEO.

Alan2005 Jan 8th 2016 4:57 pm

This doesn't bother me - it works well enough the PS4 in the living room (which has the best netflix app I've seen).

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 11831775)
Also, recommending things I have already watched and rated. If I've watched them and/or rated them, don't suggest them to me. Filter them out.

Yeah, this is annoying. They need an "Already Watched" list which you can add things to and if they are on that list they don't get shown anywhere else. I wouldn't even mind if it's a somewhat manual process.