Driving for uber

Old Sep 22nd 2019, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving for uber

Anyone on BE drive for Uber in their spare time? I turn 21 soon (you have to be 21) and i'm debating doing it. Very little overhead to sign up and no commitment/obligation, and some say you can earn up to $500 a week if you do it during peak times (downtown/college/uni areas Friday and Saturday nights). My car would meet the criteria and I enjoy driving so i think its worth a try. Downsides would be drunk people potentially making a mess, although you can charge them a $150 cleaning fee for that. You do also have to pay HST as you are classed as self employed.

Insurance used to be a concern but Uber now provide a commercial policy to alleviate that concern.

I think i'll test the waters on it.
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving for uber

All you can do is try and see if it works for you.

We don't have Uber or Lyft or the like in BC yet.

I thought about doing it though once they are here, but I don't want to fuss with getting a class 4 at the moment, I am not sure the return is worth the investment in a class 4.
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
All you can do is try and see if it works for you.

We don't have Uber or Lyft or the like in BC yet.

I thought about doing it though once they are here, but I don't want to fuss with getting a class 4 at the moment, I am not sure the return is worth the investment in a class 4.
In Ontario you just need a class G (regular) driver's license. No requirement for a commericial license. Like I said in the OP, its very little investment to get going, the only thing is a safety inspection on your vehicle, which would probably cost me $100 max, likely cheaper.
Old Sep 22nd 2019, 10:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
... Downsides would be drunk people potentially making a mess.
Have you seen Taxi Driver?

Old Sep 23rd 2019, 1:06 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Uber (and all the ride share companies) fail to fully advise you of the costs and obligations of working for them as a contractor.

You need to understand your costs, the extra vehicles costs are more than the gas, the extra mileage will increase your maintenance costs as well as add extra depreciation to the car.

Investigate your insurance policy, here in Manitoba you can only do Uber (or similar) for 4 days per month without added insurance costs.

To be able to claim a tax deduction you will have to keep detailed records of all your vehicle costs for the full year, you will need to keep separate records of business and private klms.

You will need to keep detailed records of your other costs, phone, internet , car washes, detailing after someone vomits in your car etc., to be able to claim a proportion of them against your sales.

You may need to register for GST and keep suitable records.

You will have to do your taxes as "self employed". As well as income tax, pension payments x 2 are also deducted from your income as you have to pay the employer part as well.

You will have to be very lucky to earn minimum wage per hour worked after expenses, often even before expenses, a lot of time is spent sitting in the car waiting and not earning.

Working in fast food will leave you with more in your pocket and a free meal, but it is way less interesting than doing Uber.

It can be fun, just make sure you do your research, Good Luck.

Last edited by MB-Realtor; Sep 23rd 2019 at 1:13 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 2:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Someone touched on the subject in this thread...

Gizza Job
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 2:05 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Anyone on BE drive for Uber in their spare time? I turn 21 soon (you have to be 21) and i'm debating doing it. Very little overhead to sign up and no commitment/obligation, and some say you can earn up to $500 a week if you do it during peak times (downtown/college/uni areas Friday and Saturday nights). My car would meet the criteria and I enjoy driving so i think its worth a try. Downsides would be drunk people potentially making a mess, although you can charge them a $150 cleaning fee for that. You do also have to pay HST as you are classed as self employed.

Insurance used to be a concern but Uber now provide a commercial policy to alleviate that concern.

I think i'll test the waters on it.
Do they have this service where you are? https://couriers.skipthedishes.com/application

It's basically driving to a variety of restaurants and fast food outlets, picking up the food they ordered, and then delivering it.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 2:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Do they have this service where you are? https://couriers.skipthedishes.com/application

It's basically driving to a variety of restaurants and fast food outlets, picking up the food they ordered, and then delivering it.
They have that here. The coffee shop guy told me that he was sending out a sandwich which cost $6, there was a delivery charge of $8 paid to the driver and an administration charge, paid to the agency of $6, so that's $20 before tip. I ate in.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 2:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
They have that here. The coffee shop guy told me that he was sending out a sandwich which cost $6, there was a delivery charge of $8 paid to the driver and an administration charge, paid to the agency of $6, so that's $20 before tip. I ate in.
Uber Eats operates here, along with other food delivery services such as Just Eat and Menu Log. You pay for the food and delivery through your Uber account. I don't know how Uber Eats compares with pricing, but in keeping with the lack of a tipping culture in Australia their website states that tipping is not expected or required. I tip anyway, I don't know how much the drivers get paid but I know it's not a lot.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 2:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Uber Eats operates here, along with other food delivery services such as Just Eat and Menu Log. You pay for the food and delivery through your Uber account. I don't know how Uber Eats compares with pricing, but in keeping with the lack of a tipping culture in Australia their website states that tipping is not expected or required. I tip anyway, I don't know how much the drivers get paid but I know it's not a lot.
There are several services here. That reminds me that, when first in Canada, I was turned down for a job as a pizza deliverer - it seemed so unfair, I drive fast, I park wildly, I was willing to do the drugs so as to never sleep. I needed the money enough to be ready to intimidate reluctant payers. I was certainly as irresponsible as whoever they hired.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 2:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

There are several services here. That reminds me that, when first in Canada, I was turned down for a job as a pizza deliverer - it seemed so unfair, I drive fast, I park wildly, I was willing to do the drugs so as to never sleep. I needed the money enough to be ready to intimidate reluctant payers. I was certainly as irresponsible as whoever they hired.
Jeez DBD, what's the world coming to if you, with all those credentials, couldn't get a gig?

My husband hates ordering in food, he'd rather go and pick it up. Me, I'm a lazy cow.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 2:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Jeez DBD, what's the world coming to if you, with all those credentials, couldn't get a gig?

My husband hates ordering in food, he'd rather go and pick it up. Me, I'm a lazy cow.
When the kids were small we'd order from pizza-pizza, 30 minutes or it's free, we'd set the buzzer on the cooker and wait excitedly in the kitchen. The driver never arrived in 30 minutes. I'd offer a tip but decline to pay and there was always an argument by the end of which the rest of the pizzas in the car would be late. Later pizza-pizza continued advertising 30 minutes or it's free but, once you'd ordered, told you that they wouldn't honour it. That company was about as reputable as Bell Canada.
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 3:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

Just be aware that you will need a commercial carriers insurance, your ordinary car insurance will NOT cover it, there have been a lot of bits on the internet about people geing stopped and prosecuted because of incorrect insurance
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 3:16 pm
Concierge

When the kids were small we'd order from pizza-pizza, 30 minutes or it's free, we'd set the buzzer on the cooker and wait excitedly in the kitchen. The driver never arrived in 30 minutes. I'd offer a tip but decline to pay and there was always an argument by the end of which the rest of the pizzas in the car would be late. Later pizza-pizza continued advertising 30 minutes or it's free but, once you'd ordered, told you that they wouldn't honour it. That company was about as reputable as Bell Canada.
Stinking liars
Old Sep 23rd 2019, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

One of my part-time jobs is working as a driver for a food delivery service. The day before yesterday I took an order for a hefty double-course lunch to a customer located in an RV Park. I had to wait quite a while in the restaurant for the food to be cooked, and then had difficulty locating the van parking spot, so was a little late delivering and the customer seemed a bit miffed. He was sitting in the van behind a sliding side door which meant conducting a dialogue through a few inches of the opened sliding door. The guy remained seated, and is so grossly overweight I suspect he would have difficulty standing. Now in the interest of pot, kettle, black, I should disclose that I am overweight and the Quack has issued a warning for borderline diabetes. But my RV customer is in the premier league when it comes to fatties.
Then yesterday I receive an order for breakfast consisting of Biscuits and Gravy plus Hawaiian Breakfast (sausage, fried spam , eggs, etc) to go to the same address. When I get to the RV spot, the guy is actually standing to address a fellow park resident who happens to be out enjoying the beautiful morning air, as to where his food is. I deliver his breakfast and observe the front of his van is full of discarded takeaway food containers. This guy appears to be deliberately eating himself to death, and now I feel complicit in this endeavour. If you have visited the US, you will have some idea of the food portion sizes here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.