Driving for uber

Old Sep 26th 2019, 5:38 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving for uber

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Just don’t run anybody over!

my son is a courier in Toronto and got knocked down today by an Uber driver. After hitting my son he mounted the curb and just about avoided a man and his little son.

The passenger in the Uber got out when the car stopped and shouted at the driver “you’re f***ing crazy” and ran off.

Police took a statement and we’ll have to see how it develops.

Son seems to be alright, just cuts and bruises...
Sorry to hear about your son's accident - it's horrible when something happens to our kids (including our adult kids!). I'm glad he escaped without serious injury.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Oh no! So sorry to hear that - hope your son is ok - and that the idiot driving the uber gets the book thrown at him!

If your son is unable to work for a few days - and/or his bike is damaged, do put in a claim against the driver and his insurance.

Hope he's not too sore.
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry to hear about your son's accident - it's horrible when something happens to our kids (including our adult kids!). I'm glad he escaped without serious injury.
Thank you. He's resilient that one... He was more upset about the damage to his bike. He'll be back on the roads today I'm sure. Nothing like that seems to phase him... He will be making a claim for damages to his bike. Hopefully he gets more than enough to fix his bike but who knows. I guess he will also have to go to court as a witness to the drivers stupidity...
Old Sep 26th 2019, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Just don’t run anybody over!

my son is a courier in Toronto and got knocked down today by an Uber driver. After hitting my son he mounted the curb and just about avoided a man and his little son.

The passenger in the Uber got out when the car stopped and shouted at the driver “you’re f***ing crazy” and ran off.

Police took a statement and we’ll have to see how it develops.

Son seems to be alright, just cuts and bruises...
That's terrible, sorry to hear that... I don't plan on hitting anyone
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
That's terrible, sorry to hear that... I don't plan on hitting anyone
Hopefully this particular driver had no intention of hitting anyone...
Old Feb 1st 2020, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

As an update to this thread - I turned 21, called my insurance and am able to do UberX/Lyft with no change to my premium, and covered by Uber/Lyft commercial insurance while using the app. Completing the signup process as its free and will see what happens
Old Feb 1st 2020, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

As an update to this thread - I turned 21, called my insurance and am able to do UberX/Lyft with no change to my premium, and covered by Uber/Lyft commercial insurance while using the app. Completing the signup process as its free and will see what happens
May as well see what it's like, can't hurt to try.

We just got Uber a week or so ago, still not many cars on the road though, but then it requires extra licensing and insurance here so no real surprise, can't just sign up and start working quickly. If our car was younger, I would more seriously consider getting the licence and trying it, but doesn't seem worth it as our car will be too old in about a year so would be pretty short term thing.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
May as well see what it's like, can't hurt to try.

We just got Uber a week or so ago, still not many cars on the road though, but then it requires extra licensing and insurance here so no real surprise, can't just sign up and start working quickly. If our car was younger, I would more seriously consider getting the licence and trying it, but doesn't seem worth it as our car will be too old in about a year so would be pretty short term thing.

A city councillor from Maple Ridge said it cost her about $500 to comply with the regulations, including the Class 4 license, a medical exam and a safety check of the car. She also said that getting the license included studying an almost 300 page book which was more applicable to larger vehicles.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...rived-in-metro

Old Feb 2nd 2020, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
A city councillor from Maple Ridge said it cost her about $500 to comply with the regulations, including the Class 4 license, a medical exam and a safety check of the car. She also said that getting the license included studying an almost 300 page book which was more applicable to larger vehicles.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...rived-in-metro
Yes they didn't make it easy to be a ride hailing driving here. If we had a brand new car, I would consider it more seriously, but our car will age out within the next year and some change so not worth it nor do I even know if a Mazda 2 would even be approved, its 5 seater but not exactly roomy...ha ha

Old Feb 2nd 2020, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yes they didn't make it easy to be a ride hailing driving here. If we had a brand new car, I would consider it more seriously, but our car will age out within the next year and some change so not worth it nor do I even know if a Mazda 2 would even be approved, its 5 seater but not exactly roomy...ha ha
My car is a Ford Focus, so similar size, and the racing bucket seats in the front aren't the most comfy for everyone, but it qualifies it is younger though.

Ontario doesn't have any regulations like what you're describing in BC. The only cost to me is ~$60 for a Safety Standards Certificate from a mechanic.

Too bad the barrier to entry is higher in BC, it would probably be a great way for you to make some extra money.
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

My car is a Ford Focus, so similar size, and the racing bucket seats in the front aren't the most comfy for everyone, but it qualifies it is younger though.

Ontario doesn't have any regulations like what you're describing in BC. The only cost to me is ~$60 for a Safety Standards Certificate from a mechanic.

Too bad the barrier to entry is higher in BC, it would probably be a great way for you to make some extra money.
The taxi lobby is strong in BC, it's why it took so long and why the barriers are there, the government has to try and keep peace with the taxi lobby, who is fighting for an injunction in court and one city Surrey is setting up drivers to fine them for not operating with proper business licence, but is refusing to issue said business licence. Other city's like Vancouver issued the business licences quickly. But Surrey has a large population of taxi drivers living there.

The barriers pretty much remove Uber as being a casual extra income type job to a one where only those dedicated to making it a full-time gig are going to do it, pretty much removes the casual p/t driver doing it for extra cash.