Dogs

Old Jul 8th 2020, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Default Dogs

We are about to get a new dog. I have had dogs previously in the UK, this will be our first Canadian dog. I was wondering what are your experiences of having a dog here and any info or suggestions would be welcome.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 3:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs

Originally Posted by Alex2201
We are about to get a new dog. I have had dogs previously in the UK, this will be our first Canadian dog. I was wondering what are your experiences of having a dog here and any info or suggestions would be welcome.
Check your local bylaws - licensing, no off lead (leash) walks, get a breed that's happy to go out in the snow
Vets are expensive so you may want to get one of those pet insurance packages.

https://www.citywindsor.ca/cityhall/...20245-2004.pdf (opens in new tab)
https://www.citywindsor.ca/cityhall/...-Licences.aspx
https://www.citywindsor.ca/residents...Dog-Parks.aspx
Other stuff https://www.petsplusus.com/node/645

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 8th 2020 at 4:00 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 3:41 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Here in BC there are loads of backyard breeders advertising on Kijiji. Make sure you buy wisely and be prepared to wait if you are looking for a specific breed. If you don't care too much about breed, you should visit your local RSPCA to see what they have.

Other than that it's pretty much the same as owning a dog in the UK. Pick up after your dog and don't let it off the lead in a dog park if it is aggressive towards other dogs.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Six years ago, when we bought the house, we got a 6ish month old red mixed breed from the OSPCA. He is great.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Vets are expensive here even compared to the US, so keep that in mind.

If your looking for a specific breed, be prepared to likely pay a fair amount, dogs for whatever reason in Canada are crazy expensive.

If not looking for a specific breed then various rescues might be an option, just be aware some rescues import dogs from other countries, strays usually, with limited or no background on the animals history.

We ended up having to go to the US to get our dog 5 years ago, I wanted a dachshund specifically, which really never show up in the BCSPCA (they seem to hardly ever have any smaller dogs) but because we lived in an apartment the rescues all said we didn't qualify for a dog, so we went to Washington state where the shelters and rescues had no problem adopting to people who live in apartments.

Your city will probably have an annual license, its usually not too expensive, but make sure to get it as the fine is usually higher than the cost of the license.

We rent so adding a dog limits our housing options, but its worth having a dog, she brings great joy to our life.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 4:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Check your local bylaws - licensing, no off lead (leash) walks, get a breed that's happy to go out in the snow

Quite. Laws regarding dogs differ from municipality to municipality let alone province to province.

I'd suggest ensuring that you have a fenced area for the dog to go outside, (& be prepared to shovel the fencline in the winter to prevent the dog escaping over the snow drifts!) and check out where, locally to you, you might exercise the dog. (Dog parks etc). Vets bills can be phenomenally expensive. One of our dogs (10ish, a rescue bitsa) was sick the other weekend & visits to the Animal ER service for a vet consultation & X-ray was $1k - credit card required upfront. (Veterinary care is all about monetising the owners love for the pet). Colleagues of my wife are facing a $10k bill for care and surgery for their dog.

Consider a rescue dog. We have two. They have markedly better lives now than they did but can come with their own set of challenges.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 5:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In this house we have a whippet and a greyhound and previously had a golden retriever/poodle cross. Every week I see a black Lab, a Newfie/something-else-big cross, an Australian cattle dog and a chihuahia/terrier cross. All of these dogs live in the country, all cope with snow (some in coats).

I'd say that the choice of dog depends on the same considerations as in the UK, they can all manage here.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Siouxie

He is a Bassett Hound so deep snow not ideal lol
Much less of a problem in Windsor than NB though. We will get pet insurance. Thank you for the links
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Six years ago, when we bought the house, we got a 6ish month old red mixed breed from the OSPCA. He is great.
What a handsome chap! 😁 😁 😁
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Vets are expensive here even compared to the US, so keep that in mind.
We ended up having to go to the US to get our dog.

Your city will probably have an annual license, its usually not too expensive, but make sure to get it as the fine is usually higher than the cost of the license.
Thanks Jsmth things being expensive in Canada? I don't believe it On the plus side I can't remember how cheap /expensive it was in the UK so hopefully that will take the sting off.

License!? He can't reach the pedals!
Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Quite. Laws regarding dogs differ from municipality to municipality let alone province to province.

I'd suggest ensuring that you have a fenced area for the dog to go outside, (& be prepared to shovel the fencline in the winter to prevent the dog escaping over the snow drifts!) and check out where, locally to you, you might exercise the dog. (Dog parks etc). Vets bills can be phenomenally expensive. One of our dogs (10ish, a rescue bitsa) was sick the other weekend & visits to the Animal ER service for a vet consultation & X-ray was $1k - credit card required upfront. (Veterinary care is all about monetising the owners love for the pet). Colleagues of my wife are facing a $10k bill for care and surgery for their dog.

Consider a rescue dog. We have two. They have markedly better lives now than they did but can come with their own set of challenges.
What's a snow drift? Garden is fenced but I will check it a bit closer.

We will definitely be getting insurance but wholly dog biscuit batman!

Old Jul 8th 2020, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

I probably should have mentioned it in my op but we have already chosen the dog. He is a Bassett Hound named Bennie.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 8th 2020, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I probably should have mentioned it in my op but we have already chosen the dog. He is a Bassett Hound named Bennie.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 8th 2020, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Cute little bugger, always liked basset hounds, don't see many around these days though.
Old Jul 8th 2020, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has literally just taken home an 8 week old Havanese ............... from the photos that I've seen he's as cute as a button, but she's going to have learn to groom him.

They have non-shedding coats, so the hairs just grow and grow and grow. If not shorn, the hairs will reach the ground. Grooming is very expensive!

Good dust sweeper upper, though

Her original thought 2 years ago was a silver labrador whose tail would have cleaned the coffee table, so maybe small is better ............... actually, their rooms are small-ish as the house is almost 90 years old, and the lab would have filled the whole space in front of the fire place!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.