Dogs

Old Jul 16th 2020, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs

Originally Posted by Danny B
I just got this email from my vets. Is this fairly common where you are?
Have had something v similar from our vet (York region, Ontario)
Old Jul 16th 2020, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The vet we went to in Vancouver did similiar. Except they dont have a parking lot so they have people call to check in, when they are ready attach the dogs leash to a hook they come out take the dog in. Vet calls and talks to you on the phone, when done they charge credit card and hook dogs leash and you get the pet.

They have some exceptions if your pet is being put to sleep they allow the people in if they want to say good bye and be there with their pet.

Old Jul 16th 2020, 7:43 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The vet we went to in Vancouver did similiar. Except they dont have a parking lot so they have people call to check in, when they are ready attach the dogs leash to a hook they come out take the dog in. Vet calls and talks to you on the phone, when done they charge credit card and hook dogs leash and you get the pet.

They have some exceptions if your pet is being put to sleep they allow the people in if they want to say good bye and be there with their pet.
It's still all very strange to me.

You can go to the dentist, you can go to the optician, you can get a get a Tattoo, you can get a haircut, but you cannot be in the same room as your vet
Old Jul 16th 2020, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's still all very strange to me.

You can go to the dentist, you can go to the optician, you can get a get a Tattoo, you can get a haircut, but you cannot be in the same room as your vet

Yeah its a little weird, and no real consistency even within the same chain when it comes to retailers, one location restricts entry where another is free for all.

I am finally caving in and getting a hair cut....

You would think though they would at the high rest stops supply soap in the washrooms during this time, water alone probably isn't sufficient, and nobody was social distancing anywhere at the rest stops, and way more people on the road vacationing than I expected although I did notice some BC parks recreation sites were closed as we visitor centers.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 16th 2020 at 8:11 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 9:33 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

You would think though they would at the high rest stops supply soap in the washrooms during this time, water alone probably isn't sufficient, and nobody was social distancing anywhere at the rest stops, and way more people on the road vacationing than I expected although I did notice some BC parks recreation sites were closed as we visitor centers.
When I worked as an A/Cst with the RCMP this got me into the habit of always having a small bottle of hand sanitzer and some disposable gloves in my car. You never know what you will encounter when you get out of your car.

Some of those rest stop 'huts' between Kamloops > Vernon are utterly disgusting, no running water whatsoever and the smell of excrement is hideous in the Summer makes the coquihalla rest stop look like the Hilton.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

One thing I like about US interstate system is the rest stops tend to be decent and more frequent as well. Some states do better than others but most are still an improvement over what we end up with here. Lol

When I lived in WI they have these Oasis stops gas and food without having to venture off the interstate. OK has some too.

Those save time since you dont need to venture off the interstate.

The only real nasty one I know of in California is east of San Diego but west of Yuma off I8 but its in the middle of nowhere in the desert with no source of water nearby in the sand dunes.

When I worked as an A/Cst with the RCMP this got me into the habit of always having a small bottle of hand sanitzer and some disposable gloves in my car. You never know what you will encounter when you get out of your car.

Some of those rest stop 'huts' between Kamloops > Vernon are utterly disgusting, no running water whatsoever and the smell of excrement is hideous in the Summer makes the coquihalla rest stop look like the Hilton.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 17th 2020 at 8:19 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
He looks awesome - is he your first basset hound?

We've got a basset and a beagle who are eagerly waiting on PR with us. The basset will run round growling when on Snow - so if that's a basset thing prepare to laugh yourself silly for 6 months of the year. Can't offer any Canadian specific advice, but saw it was a basset and had to comment
Yes he is my first Bassett. Any breed specific input would be appreciated ๐Ÿ˜ Previously had German Short-haired Pointers, Labs and Staffies. He is settling in nicely. He is very laid back and taking everything in his stride so far. The only thing so far that he does not like is the rain ๐Ÿคฃ
Old Jul 21st 2020, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Our dog can't even get into the car without help, her legs are so short....

Key with vets I have found, ask around, find one you like and stick with one for all your needs, a vet you have a lasting relationship with is more likely to help you in an emergency and work out some sort of option if say your pet gets sick at 1am and you can't access funds because of the time of day and you have to decide quickly about options, sometimes the cheapest vet is not the best vet, I found that out the hard way once with a cat.

Charlee currently goes to a 24/7 animal hospital, they never close, and they don't charge emergency fees, so the price is the same at 3am as it would be at 3pm which came in handy once when she decided to get hurt at 3am.
We went to the vet that is around the corner and luckily he seems to be good, not particularly cheap but seemed to be average for the area. We also found a 24 hour animal hospital not far away. They are not taking new patients but said that they would happily take him out of hours as a drop in if necessary which is a great safety net.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
We got a puppy earlier this year from a reputable breeder. We have a interest in showing her. We do not need a license as we live out of town. In town you do. Re pet insurance, we decided at $80 per month to not get it. Even though we used the complementary 6 week insurance against a uti that would have been 200 bucks.her wellness exam was 75 bucks her second shots 60 and her third 152 both those with nail trims. Puppy classes 129 through petsmart (quite impressed). Her 1st groom 80 bucks - looking for a new groomer as that's close to adult costs. The breeder paid for a chip and eye exam (entropian). She also supplied a puppy pack with leash harness toy's and food.
Wow what a beautiful pup! ๐Ÿ˜ I imagine that coat takes a fair bit of upkeep. We found a doggy daycare that does puppy classes - he starts in a couple of weeks. They also offer scenting classes once he has done the basics which we think will be great for him.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 12:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oh...I am so in love with these puppies. PP you just have a teddy bear. Alex..I demand a cuddle!

An odd thing...have any of you found that breeds here tend to be a bit smaller than in Europe? I have a Cairn Terrier here but he is quite a bit bigger (and much thinner) than the otherโ€™s I have met. I have met a couple of Britons in the park with Labs and German Shepherds who have mentioned a difference in height?

You are welcome to a cuddle but your ears and nose are at risk - he is well into the puppy biting phase. Arm yourself with a few treats and he is putty

I can't say that I have noticed much of a difference in size but I haven't had a dog here so likely just oblivious. Ours is an American Bassett and they are smaller and less crinkly than the European Bassett.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 12:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by magnumpi

They need masks

Not really lol

just Make sure up to date jabs like Rabies is done
He will be getting a Rugby shirt when he is fully grown. ๐Ÿ˜
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Have had something v similar from our vet (York region, Ontario)
Similar procedure here. We were allowed in but it was one at a time. Use sanitizer and wear a mask.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 12:21 am
Account Closed

One thing I like about US interstate system is the rest stops tend to be decent and more frequent as well. Some states do better than others but most are still an improvement over what we end up with here. Lol

When I lived in WI they have these Oasis stops gas and food without having to venture off the interstate. OK has some too.

Those save time since you dont need to venture off the interstate.

The only real nasty one I know of in California is east of San Diego but west of Yuma off I8 but its in the middle of nowhere in the desert with no source of water nearby in the sand dunes.
I have been trucking all over N America and I have always been impressed by the quality of the facilities that the US has. Light years ahead of the UK in that regard. Even the rest stops are always clean and well maintained.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 10:23 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Same protocol at the vets here.
Old Jul 22nd 2020, 11:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's how it's done here. In the case of horses, the vet only come for emergencies and everyone else has to leave the barn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.