Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

daft questions from a daft bat.

daft questions from a daft bat.

Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:02 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: daft questions from a daft bat.

Originally Posted by daft batty
OK. So its horse poo on the flowers, sheep poo on the veggies.

Runner beans are still a mystery. I want to plant pole beans and I know that the runner beans have pretty scarlet flowers. What colour flowers do the other beans have??
Runner beans and pole beans are the same thing...........they climb (or run) up poles, hence the name, and have those fabulous bright red flowers. Other varieties have white or pale green. They grow well up a cane "wigwam" in a half barrel.

Don't plant your beans in cold soil, they won't germinate. And they're thirsty little buggers, so water them well.

Manure: sheep and cow more commonly used cos they're higher in nutrients, but in my house there's so much bull****, I usually use a good sprinkling of that. Whatever kind you use, don't put it on the garden until it's well-rotted (dry and crumbly is the watchword), otherwise it'll burn your plants.

Try to get hold of a book called "Vegetable Favorites" by Lois Hole........your local library should have it. Excellent book, not too technical; I'd give you my copy but it's going back to Blighty with me!

here endeth the lesson........good luck!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Runner beans and pole beans are the same thing...........they climb (or run) up poles, hence the name, and have those fabulous bright red flowers. Other varieties have white or pale green. They grow well up a cane "wigwam" in a half barrel.

Don't plant your beans in cold soil, they won't germinate. And they're thirsty little buggers, so water them well.

Manure: sheep and cow more commonly used cos they're higher in nutrients, but in my house there's so much bull****, I usually use a good sprinkling of that. Whatever kind you use, don't put it on the garden until it's well-rotted (dry and crumbly is the watchword), otherwise it'll burn your plants.

Try to get hold of a book called "Vegetable Favorites" by Lois Hole........your local library should have it. Excellent book, not too technical; I'd give you my copy but it's going back to Blighty with me!

here endeth the lesson........good luck!
why thank you!! I will look out for the book
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

1) Which would be best for the garden, horse manure or sheep manure?? I have offers of both, free.

I have always been told Horse poop is good for Roses..not sure about Runner Beans though

2) Would they combust spontaneously if I mixed them? T

hey might do if your dried them out ..well ...not sure about spontaneously!!

3) Has anyone seen runner bean seed or plants in Ontario?? I want to grow some. I havent even seen the vegetable in the shops.

I could ask my Step Sister she is obsessed with gardening and lives in Ontario....she spent a year looking for cress until she found it came under a different name there though

4) Maybe once I find the bean plants I should put sheep do at one end of the row and horse do at the other and see which does best.

Oh...Batty what happens when they meet in the middle

5) Does any of it matter?

Yes it does to you and thats what matters

6) Did anyone else worry about their first trip back home?

I might in a few weeks time when we get to Canada

7) Do I go to my graduation ceremony or not bother?

Just MHO..Yes, I didn't go to my and have regretted it always..but you have to do what is best for you...I hope you make the right decision for you

8) Will I remember how to drive a manual car? And on the left hand side too.

My Step Sister never does It's SCAREY

9) Will it be really hard to leave to come back here?
Nope cos you love Canada and your life there!!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

OOPS...I didn't mean to quote all of that
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhodeys
OOPS...I didn't mean to quote all of that
Hey, you took the time to reply, thats what counts!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:25 pm
especially the mint one

club_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really niceclub_biscuit is just really nice

I loved my graduation - it really solidified the accomplishment and made the whole degree feel "real" and I liked having my family celebrate with me.

But then.... I loved my wedding too!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Explain, old git.
No, won't. You're far too rude.

<skitters>
Old May 1st 2008, 12:06 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by club_biscuit
I loved my graduation - it really solidified the accomplishment and made the whole degree feel "real" and I liked having my family celebrate with me.

But then.... I loved my wedding too!
I didn't really know what was going on in mine. Large parts of it were conducted in Latin, and sadly I don't have the benefit of a classical education.
Old May 1st 2008, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

I hated mine. The only good part was after we received ours, you had to do a lap of the hall before sitting down and (to the horror of all the dignitaries and snotty parents), my 4 year old niece ran and jumped up into my arms because she got bored of sitting and wanted to come for a walk!!
Old May 1st 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mc_dub
I hated mine. The only good part was after we received ours, you had to do a lap of the hall before sitting down and (to the horror of all the dignitaries and snotty parents), my 4 year old niece ran and jumped up into my arms because she got bored of sitting and wanted to come for a walk!!
So the fastest ones to get to the diplomas took the Firsts and the also rans took the Thirds?? Why not?
Old May 1st 2008, 12:49 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
I didn't really know what was going on in mine. Large parts of it were conducted in Latin, and sadly I don't have the benefit of a classical education.
Surely you recognised the phrase: 'Mea Culpa."?
Old May 2nd 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

So the fastest ones to get to the diplomas took the Firsts and the also rans took the Thirds?? Why not?
no, they had us all crammed into an annex on the right and had us leave the stage to the left but wouldn't allow us to cut across in front of the stage to get back to the annex. Not sure if there was a particular order or not, I seemed to be in between two bright sparks and I didn't get a First