Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

daft questions from a daft bat.

daft questions from a daft bat.

Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default daft questions from a daft bat.

1) Which would be best for the garden, horse manure or sheep manure?? I have offers of both, free.

2) Would they combust spontaneously if I mixed them?

3) Has anyone seen runner bean seed or plants in Ontario?? I want to grow some. I havent even seen the vegetable in the shops.

4) Maybe once I find the bean plants I should put sheep do at one end of the row and horse do at the other and see which does best.

5) Does any of it matter?

6) Did anyone else worry about their first trip back home?

7) Do I go to my graduation ceremony or not bother?

8) Will I remember how to drive a manual car? And on the left hand side too.

9) Will it be really hard to leave to come back here?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: daft questions from a daft bat.

Originally Posted by daft batty
1) Which would be best for the garden, horse manure or sheep manure?? I have offers of both, free.

3) Has anyone seen runner bean seed or plants in Ontario?? I want to grow some. I havent even seen the vegetable in the shops.

4) Maybe once I find the bean plants I should put sheep do at one end of the row and horse do at the other and see which does best.

8) Yes

9) Yes
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

I'd go with the horse sh!t, that way when one of your guests at your house comes out with a blatant lie, when you yell "horse sh!t" instead of thinking it you can cover it by discussing the garden!!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

PurpleLotus is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Depends on what you want to grow, but horse is good for flowers... sheep is good for food. Something to do with nitrates and such erm stuff.. probably!
2. Nope.
3. Cant help sorry as I'm in BC
4. Yeah go on... let us know the results! lol
5. Nahhhh not really
6. No plans on going back yet so i cant say lol
7. Hmmm... depends... do you want to??
8. Course you will.
9. Depends on where 'here' is... ?
10... where's 10?
Cor i love questionnaires! ;-)

Purps ;-)
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Horse. If it has "burnt" properly and you don't see bits of straw, shavings etc. Should almost be like soil. If it's fresh and new it can be too much for your garden and kill it instead.

No.

No idea

You could do. I know places where horse manure sell quite well so you are lucky to get it free.

Actually, yes it does. But speak to a gardner.

As far as I am concerned, I am home. I worry more about having to go away.

Well.... maybe you should for that. If it was just a reunion, I wouldn't bother. Heck, I wasn't even invited to my class reunion and only found out about it several years later, shrugged my shoulders and never gave it another thought.

I did as long as it was my own. But whenever I got in to a rental or a friends car I got back in to automatic mode. Made for some really good laughs from me and cussings from other drivers whenever I stalled at a crossing.

Only if you are daft.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:53 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that Daft Batty may indeed be showing symptoms of displacement???

Mrs M
Old Apr 30th 2008, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
I believe that Daft Batty may indeed be showing symptoms of displacement???

Mrs M
oh dear no runner beans either bring some back with you after your visit ?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

RE : Manual Car - when I first got back in one I spent the whole day driving in 2nd gear wondering why everyone was looking at me and why it was so noisy.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:40 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

YES. Once that day has come and gone you may regret not attending. Celebrate your achievements in style
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:53 am
Just Joined

NSboundTaffys will become famous soon enoughNSboundTaffys will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Reading fan
RE : Manual Car - when I first got back in one I spent the whole day driving in 2nd gear wondering why everyone was looking at me and why it was so noisy.
Does this mean cars in Canada are automatic?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:17 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSboundTaffys
Does this mean cars in Canada are automatic?
They are both but people mainly drive automatics. I have driven a manual here a couple of times and although its strange that the gearstick (stickshift) is on my right, you get used to it quickly. The pedals are placed in the same order (thank goodness ).
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

OK. So its horse poo on the flowers, sheep poo on the veggies.

Runner beans are still a mystery. I want to plant pole beans and I know that the runner beans have pretty scarlet flowers. What colour flowers do the other beans have??

Driving is going to be OK. Good. Hire car is booked, $600 for 15 days. Ford Focus. There better be some petrol to put in it.

Graduation, still not sure about that. Bearing in mind that I can't hear so I will sit there during the speeches and not understand a word of it. We did the class photo last Friday and I didnt "feel" anything in particular. I will see what my mum and husband want to do.

I'm not looking forwards to going home. It hard to spend all your money and holiday leave on a visit out of duty, to see some people who will never make the effort to come and see us. Plus I think it will be harder to leave this time. When we left it was exciting and an adventure with never a backward glance, now I know it will be hard to wave goodbye to my dearest friend who is ill and so unable to visit. I will be British and keep that upper lip stiff.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:33 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite normal not to be able to hear/see anything at your graduation. Ours was in Canterbury Cathedral , which is quite nice but the parents get the best seats in the middle and the graduands get the pokey ones round the side. This means that you cannot see what is going and and certainly can't hear anything. I spent most of the time sat next to a dead bloke (he was in a tomb!!) . Luckily Ben was next to me , I think we played cards.

I think graduations are like weddings , more for other people to look at than for you to take part in!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
It's quite normal not to be able to hear/see anything at your graduation. Ours was in Canterbury Cathedral , which is quite nice but the parents get the best seats in the middle and the graduands get the pokey ones round the side. This means that you cannot see what is going and and certainly can't hear anything. I spent most of the time sat next to a dead bloke (he was in a tomb!!) . Luckily Ben was next to me , I think we played cards.

I think graduations are like weddings , more for other people to look at than for you to take part in!
I appreciate what you are saying but I am often told " I couldnt hear either" but you could see that person reacting to what was said. When I say I can't make out a word thats what I mean. I also can't hear well enough to have a whispered conversation with the person next to me.

So if they are like weddings then I maybe should do what we did for our wedding and thats not have a do.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 2:13 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I would do what you feel comfortable with. My graduation was very definitely for my parents , but fair enought they had funded me through Uni , so the least I could do really .

We couldn't see the speakers , or our parents. Finding them again after the ceremony was fun!

If you do go , remember hair grips!!! I was the only girl on our course who had any , I became very popular , you need something to attach the damn things to your head!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.