Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Cultural Assimilation

Cultural Assimilation

Old Sep 18th 2016, 7:24 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural Assimilation

Originally Posted by Oink
I think the skill is being able to do that when pissed up on rye whiskey and Coke.
It would certainly make it more interesting. At the time I couldn't wait to hit the bar afterwards, but the event was at 5:30 and everyone pretty much went home after the curling was done.

I don't know if this is normal here, but when I've been to this kind of thing in other countries, everyone ends up at some level of drunkenness afterwards.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 7:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't know if this is normal here, but when I've been to this kind of thing in other countries, everyone ends up at some level of drunkenness afterwards.
Like Skittles...especially when the bar is left unattended
Old Sep 18th 2016, 7:35 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
. I used to play until disability put an end to it.
In my teens I was a spare on a team of amputees called The One-Armed Bandits in the CPR Men's League, and we won a lot of games. Some of them had one leg, some one arm or hand, but they'd been doing it so long they were really good.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit of cripple because of a dodgy knee so I play with an assist stick which means i don't have to worry about falling over as I slide the stone down the ice. The grippers that you can wear over regular trainers stop you falling over most of the time!
They seem a friendly bunch, our club has its own very cheap bar so that helps!!

I was quite surprised how much work it was to 'sweep' but ill get used to it! For anyone who is interested look out for a Learn to Curl afternoon, a great way to try it without paying vast sums to join a club!
Old Sep 19th 2016, 1:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
In my teens I was a spare on a team of amputees called The One-Armed Bandits in the CPR Men's League, and we won a lot of games. Some of them had one leg, some one arm or hand, but they'd been doing it so long they were really good.
Is that Canadian Pacific Railway or really CPR? Just wondering, like, if a team has a bad run whether they come back from the dead or get back on track.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 1:50 pm
Oscar nominated

I was in a sports quiz once where the question involved the name of a particular sport. Something to do with a venue or competition name or some such.

I don't remember whether the answer was Curling or Hurling nor whether I answered Curling or Hurling. I didn't remember which was which.

I do know I gave the wrong answer but the quizmaster misheard and I "won" the points.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 4:20 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm looking forward to playing a "sport" where it's ok to be middle aged and overweight. That, my friends is my kind of sport.
What's wrong with good old cricket? It gets quite relaxing and fun once you ban chin music.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 4:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking forward to playing a "sport" where it's ok to be middle aged and overweight. That, my friends is my kind of sport.
If you aren't totally averse to drinking a bit while playing then darts may be for you. It isn't as strenuous as curling but does require a bit of stamina to play for long periods.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 4:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

If you aren't totally averse to drinking a bit while playing then darts may be for you. It isn't as strenuous as curling but does require a bit of stamina to play for long periods.
We used to play shuffleboard at the Legion but then they went put the beer up by a $1.00 per pint so we don't go anymore.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:18 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Oink
We used to play shuffleboard at the Legion but then they went put the beer up by a $1.00 per pint so we don't go anymore.
I wondered why you hadn't mentioned the legion in a while. Skinflint.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 10:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Darts. That's the sport for me. Beer and throwing sharp projectiles around. What could go wrong?
Old Sep 19th 2016, 10:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Darts. That's the sport for me. Beer and throwing sharp projectiles around. What could go wrong?
Ouch
Spoiler:

Old Sep 19th 2016, 10:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's all fun and games until someone gets poked in the eye.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 3:43 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes, in my working life, I don't feel like I have assimilated at all.
I get tired of different terminology and trying to make sure I am understood, not just in what I am saying but in my intentions. Just a slight sentence change can make all the difference to how its perceived.

God only knows how long I have been upsetting people by calling their homes ugly in error in the homey versus homely situation.

I want to hear "who holds responsibility for..." rather than "who owns it" and "the details" rather than "level of granularity" and "lets return to that" rather than "we will do a deeper dive"
I counted the word "leverage" used when discussing new systems about 50 times in one speech the other day.
And when someone wrote "The parking lot" on a sheet of white paper and hung it up in the meeting room I wondered "what on earth...." until I realized that it was where the "deeper dive" items were going to be listed...

ugh

Rant over
Old Sep 20th 2016, 3:59 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Howefamily
God only knows how long I have been upsetting people by calling their homes ugly in error in the homey versus homely situation.

..."level of granularity"..."we will do a deeper dive"
Never heard of these...presumably in the world of work.

And when someone wrote "The parking lot" on a sheet of white paper and hung it up in the meeting room I wondered "what on earth...." until I realized that it was where the "deeper dive" items were going to be listed...
Either sound suitable alternative names for the maple leaf part of the forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.