British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Cricket (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cricket-827097/)

Pizzawheel Feb 23rd 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Cricket

I'd disagree- I think T20 is proper test cricket ruined down to the typical 2-3 hour sport slot that this failing world prefers. Hell, I sneered at ODIs.

For a short intense blast of sport Iced Hockey is great.

Novocastrian Feb 23rd 2016 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11876851)
I'd disagree- I think T20 is proper test cricket ruined down to the typical 2-3 hour sport slot that this failing world prefers. Hell, I sneered at ODIs.

For a short intense blast of sport Iced Hockey is great.

If you just want a short intense blast of sport, why bother with the ice and the hockey. Just stick with mixed martial arts, it's safer.

T20 can be fun but obviously it's not to be compared with Test (or even County) cricket. ODI is, err, somewhere in between. :nod:

Hawkmoon77 Feb 23rd 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11876861)
If you just want a short intense blast of sport, why bother with the ice and the hockey. Just stick with mixed martial arts, it's safer.

T20 can be fun but obviously it's not to be compared with Test (or even County) cricket. ODI is, err, somewhere in between. :nod:

As a lad growing up in 70s / 80s, I used to stay up late to watch the Test highlights at around 11pm on BBC2. Every ball seemed to be a boundary or a wicket - that is T20, a highlights package for people who don't like cricket.

Too much T20 is poor cricket, where a wide ball is slashed at by a desperate batsman, flies into the night sky, dropped by a luckless fielder and the crowd all cheer / jeer as appropriate. Not for me, but each to his/her own.

Sadly, thanks to incompetent management, I fear for Test cricket's future :(

Pizzawheel Feb 23rd 2016 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11876861)

Hockey is much safer than MMA. Bit of handbags at dawn might put people off but they make sure the collisions are all safe and under control.

Oakvillian Feb 23rd 2016 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11876979)
Hockey is much safer than MMA. Bit of handbags at dawn might put people off but they make sure the collisions are all safe and under control.

Well, that's as maybe, but it's not a proper pursuit for an Englishman, really, is it?

If you need to have a fix of 80 minutes or so of full-contact sport, then watch a game of Rugby. No unnecessary commercial breaks every few minutes, plenty of scope nonetheless for vociferous armchair commentary, an occasional moment of blood and gore to liven up proceedings, and people from civilized nations (well, except the French, obviously) going about things in a mostly gentlemanly way.

;)

Pizzawheel Feb 23rd 2016 6:32 pm

Unfortunately my background was far too impoverished to include rugby. Which might explain my susceptibility to North American sports.

Either that, or relative lack of English blood...

Novocastrian Feb 23rd 2016 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11877074)
Unfortunately my background was far too impoverished to include rugby. Which might explain my susceptibility to North American sports.

Either that, or relative lack of English blood...

Well, I agree that the English have always lead the field in Blood Sports.

I'd suggest though that your susceptibility to North American sports is similar to a predilection for Cryptic Crosswords. What I mean is there is a certain pleasure in familiarising yourself with the rules and then , feeling satisfied with understanding at least vaguely what is going on, coming to think that you like it.

Look inside yourself and discover the desperation for home.

Pizzawheel Feb 23rd 2016 7:21 pm

Look inside yourself and discover the desperation for home.
I did! I did! Then I remembered Romford and my desperation evaporated. :-)

Pizzawheel Feb 23rd 2016 7:21 pm

:eek::rofl:

Oink Feb 23rd 2016 7:27 pm

I think the English rugby team should perform a traditional Morris dance in front of their opponents. That would show how tough they are. :thumbup:

Novocastrian Feb 23rd 2016 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11877165)
I think the English rugby team should perform a traditional Morris dance in front of their opponents. That would show how tough they are. :thumbup:

Tough? They should biff all the police horses in the mouth.

JamesM Mar 3rd 2016 12:24 am

Sad news for the game.

As a child when I lived in Australia and played a lot of cricket I watched a lot of Martin Crowe's batting over the years.

Martin Crowe: Ex-New Zealand captain dies of cancer at 53 - BBC Sport

Gordon Barlow Mar 3rd 2016 1:21 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11884957)

He was one of the two or three most beautiful batsmen in the world, of his generation. Oh, such a talent!

plasticcanuck Mar 3rd 2016 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11877222)
Tough? They should biff all the police horses in the mouth.

Rugby:- A game for Hooligans played by gentlemen.

Well that quote has gone the way of the Dodo.

Pizzawheel Mar 3rd 2016 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11885008)
Rugby:- A game for Hooligans played by gentlemen.

Well that quote has gone the way of the Dodo.

Whereas- "Soccer, a gentlemanly game played by beasts" has gone from strength to strength.

Hawkmoon77 Mar 18th 2016 5:46 pm

WT20

Two words... Joe Root.

Pizzawheel Mar 18th 2016 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11899612)
WT20

Two words... Joe Root.

Best english bat ever? According to Nasser...

Hawkmoon77 Mar 18th 2016 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11899711)
Best english bat ever? According to Nasser...

That may be a tad premature at this point in time, but if the lad keeps going like this....

And it's fair to point out that he could not have done that without Roy's pyrotechnics beforehand.

Oink Apr 3rd 2016 1:36 pm

On now, England are playing the WI in the final of the T20 world cup.

Maybe its not worth bothering. :(

Pizzawheel Apr 3rd 2016 11:22 pm

I think cricket needs the windies back but by god are they in a state from Sammy's comments.

Novocastrian May 20th 2016 6:00 pm

Bumpity bump bump.

England had rather a good day at Headingly, what?

Oink May 20th 2016 9:22 pm

Anderson was swinging that ball around like crazy in the last session. Hoping for a good days cricket tomorrow.

Oink May 21st 2016 4:12 pm

Well, that was easy. Well done Jimmy Anderson. :thumbup:

Flogger May 21st 2016 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11953457)
Well, that was easy. Well done Jimmy Anderson. :thumbup:

Didn't get to see any of today's play.
Will try to catch the verdict later with bob and Charles

Oink Jun 9th 2016 6:02 pm

What a lovely morning of cricket. England are 279 for six at stumps on the first day of the third test It was nice and sunny at Lords, plenty of drama and Baristow getting his first Lords century. While I realize most don't have access to TV at work but I hope some of you at least got to listen to the TMS broadcast. What with the football on as well I can’t see much point of even going in tomorrow. :lol:

Hawkmoon77 Jun 9th 2016 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11969303)
What a lovely morning of cricket. England are 279 for six at stumps on the first day of the third test It was nice and sunny at Lords, plenty of drama and Baristow getting his first Lords century. While I realize most don't have access to TV at work but I hope some of you at least got to listen to the TMS broadcast. What with the football on as well I can’t see much point of even going in tomorrow. :lol:

I was listening to good old TMS. As a yorkie, I really enjoyed YJB's knock (although he did have a few lives)

The match is nicely placed.

Compers though must be in last chance saloon. Shame, as I thought he would have made a good #3.

Oink Aug 30th 2016 5:02 pm

Anybody watch the carnage at Trent Bridge? Its been great although not a lot of work is getting done this morning. Sadly its not a Friday otherwise I'd follow the 2nd innings with a boozy lunch and make a day of it. ;)

Hawkmoon77 Aug 30th 2016 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12039160)
Anybody watch the carnage at Trent Bridge? Its been great although not a lot of work is getting done this morning. Sadly its not a Friday otherwise I'd follow the 2nd innings with a boozy lunch and make a day of it. ;)

Stuart Meaker (Surrey bowler) reckons that Eng are "about 15 runs short"

It ain't over until both sides have batted, but surely one can dare to hope Eng can defend the highest ODI total ever.

It's not even the highest 50ove score at Trent Bridge this year - Notts scored 445 & nearly lost

Stinkypup Aug 30th 2016 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12039160)

I don't normally follow cricket but checked out what was happening after your post Oink... Holy crap! What an innings and what a score by Hales :eek:

Oink Aug 30th 2016 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 12039180)
Stuart Meaker (Surrey bowler) reckons that Eng are "about 15 runs short"

It ain't over until both sides have batted, but surely one can dare to hope Eng can defend the highest ODI total ever.

Lets hope for a competitive 2nd innings. Although with Woods bowling at nearly 93 mph and our fielding it might be a tall order.
Time to open the second packet of Hobnobs. :)

Novocastrian Aug 30th 2016 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12039185)
Lets hope for a competitive 2nd innings. Although with Woods bowling at nearly 93 mph and our fielding it might be a tall order.
Time to open the second packet of Hobnobs. :)

It got a bit competitive after they were 9 down. Not very though.

Oink Aug 30th 2016 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12039439)
It got a bit competitive after they were 9 down. Not very though.

They made a bit of a stand but with that total it was never going to be close. Still a fun 1st innings to watch. :thumbup:

Novocastrian Aug 30th 2016 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12039478)
They made a bit of a stand but with that total is was going to be close. Still a fun 1st innings to watch. :thumbup:

Too bloody right.

<I think you missed out never before going?>

Oink Aug 30th 2016 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12039480)
Too bloody right.

:rofl:

Hawkmoon77 Aug 30th 2016 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12039480)
Too bloody right.

Well Northants made a pretty good fist of chasing 445 in 50 overs at TB this year....

North Group: Nottinghamshire v Northamptonshire at Nottingham, Jun 6, 2016 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I enjoyed Amir's little cameo at the end there.;)

Novocastrian Aug 31st 2016 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 12039521)
Well Northants made a pretty good fist of chasing 445 in 50 overs at TB this year....

North Group: Nottinghamshire v Northamptonshire at Nottingham, Jun 6, 2016 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I enjoyed Amir's little cameo at the end there.;)

Yes, the OBO was harping on about that too.

Oink Sep 1st 2016 5:10 pm

Just had an underling come in and say ""you're not watching that cricket game again are you, its looks so boring." Little does the cheeky bastard realize that he will now be volunteering to ferry the "cheeses" back and forth to the airport for the next month. :lol:

Still, we only need 248 to win. :thumbup:

Oakvillian Sep 1st 2016 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12041403)
Just had an underling come in and say ""you're not watching that cricket game again are you, its looks so boring." Little does the cheeky bastard realize that he will now be volunteering to ferry the "cheeses" back and forth to the airport for the next month. :lol:

Still, we only need 248 to win. :thumbup:

bit of a wobbly start to England's reply today. Roy, Hales and Root all not really getting properly started - 30 for Root is hardly even playing himself in these days.

Oink Sep 1st 2016 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12041452)
bit of a wobbly start to England's reply today. Roy, Hales and Root all not really getting properly started - 30 for Root is hardly even playing himself in these days.

Hmm, my initial optimism is starting to fade. :(

Oink Sep 1st 2016 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12041452)

In the end it was a bit of stroll, especially after Irfan couldn't bowl his second spell.