British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Cricket (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cricket-827097/)

Oink Dec 3rd 2014 3:10 pm

Re: Cricket

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11491380)
I actually want Cook to get out so Hales has some overs to get going....

:goodpost:

Hawkmoon77 Dec 3rd 2014 5:16 pm

Blimey ! England win an odi :blink:

Oink Dec 3rd 2014 5:16 pm

Wow. A nice run chase by England. Well done.

Hawkmoon77 Dec 19th 2014 7:02 pm

So Cook gets the old heave ho from ODIs.

Not before time. Hopefully Hales or Wright will replace him at the top of the order.

Oink Dec 19th 2014 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11508107)
So Cook gets the old heave ho from ODIs.

Not before time. Hopefully Hales or Wright will replace him at the top of the order.

Not before time, although I think they made a mistake with appointing Morgan as his replacement. Maybe they didn't want to undermine Cook's position as test capt. with someone who is in the team, like Root or Broad.

Pizzawheel Dec 22nd 2014 3:25 pm

Hasn't Wright been tried up the order before, with minimal success?

And I think this is a factor in picking Morgan. It's probably good not to have an "alternate format" captain in your squad. Especially if you're excelling in one format and struggling in the other.

Oink Jan 20th 2015 3:12 am

Its the tri-series, it's a warm up for the world cup. Anyway, its game three, England v India.

Match Stream

Hawkmoon77 Jan 20th 2015 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11538789)
Its the tri-series, it's a warm up for the world cup. Anyway, its game three, England v India.

Match Stream

Well bowled Jimmy / Finn.
That was quite a pasting, and for once, Eng weren't on the rceiving end.

Oink Jan 20th 2015 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11539250)
Well bowled Jimmy / Finn.
That was quite a pasting, and for once, Eng weren't on the rceiving end.

They concentrated on line and length and it paid off. The Aussies next on Friday. I'm looking forward to the WC.

Oink Jan 20th 2015 8:22 pm

Actually the England v Aussie match is on Thursday night. 10:20 pm EST and 7:20pm pst. I foresee a,late night at the office with a mega takeaway.

Hawkmoon77 Jan 20th 2015 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11539563)
Actually the England v Aussie match is on Thursday night. 10:20 pm EST and 7:20pm pst. I foresee a,late night at the office with a mega takeaway.

One of these days I'll have to visit your office....during an England match ;)

I too am actually looking forward to the World Cup (although it remains to see if the mind numbing group stages sap that enthusiasm)

Oink Jan 20th 2015 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11539566)
One of these days I'll have to visit your office....during an England match ;)

I too am actually looking forward to the World Cup (although it remains to see if the mind numbing group stages sap that enthusiasm)

It does go on a bit I grant you. I think you have to be selective in your viewing as all the decent teams make into the second round anyway

Oink Apr 17th 2015 5:40 pm

Come on Jimmy hurry it up with the new ball as I've got to get some work in today before I bunk off for the afternoon.

Hawkmoon77 Apr 17th 2015 5:43 pm

Was anyone able to find video of Jordan's catch yesterday on the 'net ?

I only managed to find Sky commentary feed, which blocked me based on location

Gordon Barlow Apr 17th 2015 6:00 pm

I think that bowling figures against the West Indies these days need to be discounted, the same way - and for the same reason - that figures against Bangla Desh are discounted. WI is scarcely (or barely) a Test-standard team, now.

Oink Apr 17th 2015 7:20 pm

I think the Windies are going to do this.

Oakvillian Apr 17th 2015 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11621485)
Was anyone able to find video of Jordan's catch yesterday on the 'net ?

I only managed to find Sky commentary feed, which blocked me based on location

Only video I've found is a Vine clip https://vine.co/v/ezMTUOZHEVA

Hawkmoon77 Apr 17th 2015 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11621542)
Only video I've found is a Vine clip https://vine.co/v/ezMTUOZHEVA

Thanks for that ! Yep, that was indeed a pretty good catch.

I fear Oink is correct & Cook will appear over cautious in his declaration, although to be fair Jimmy has been distracted, Jordan (catching aside) and Stokes are not doing much and Broad has been relatively innocuous.

Hawkmoon77 Apr 17th 2015 7:54 pm

YESSSSSSS !!!!

Arise Sir Jimmy of Anderson

Oink Apr 17th 2015 8:11 pm

Well done Jimmy. :thumbup:

Hawkmoon77 Apr 21st 2015 4:30 pm

What do Lyth, Rashid and Plunkett have to do to get a game out there?

Broad bowling his medium fast filth....again, but this time in favorable conditions. <sigh>

Oink Apr 21st 2015 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11624794)
What do Lyth, Rashid and Plunkett have to do to get a game out there?

Broad bowling his medium fast filth....again, but this time in favorable conditions. <sigh>

Broad needs to go back to county cricket and prove himself because he looks very down on pace and accuracy. We're going to get slaughtered in the Ashes with this lot. :(

Hawkmoon77 May 21st 2015 9:56 pm

Well that was a jolly old day at HQ.

Shame about Root, Stokes missing tons and Buttler being out last ball.

Otherwise strangely un-England in the run rate.

Oink May 21st 2015 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11652904)
Well that was a jolly old day at HQ.

Shame about Root, Stokes missing tons and Buttler being out last ball.

Otherwise strangely un-England in the run rate.

I had the misfortune that work was actually work today so I missed the action but from reading the report it was lucky that the ball stopped swinging about mid morning. I agree it was rubbish they both missed out on tons as that would have lifted the team's spirit and given them something to build on this summer. Lets hope the tail and Ali can put on 70+ more runs on, then get that new ball moving about. :)

I can't imagine there being anything worth starting on a Friday so if I go in to work pretty early I should be able to start watching as they come back from lunch and then I'll take the afternoon off. :thumbup:

Oink May 22nd 2015 3:34 pm

So Lyth, Balance, Bell and Broad made a combined 12 runs. :thumbdown:

Hawkmoon77 May 22nd 2015 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11653583)

And Lyth made 7 of those on debut !

Broad is now a complete rabbit, or even ferret as "he goes in after the rabbits". To think he scored a fine 160 odd vs a decent Pakistan attack 2008(?)

I wouldn't have picked Bell. After the ton on a flat track in the Windies test he has something like 1,0,0,1. Not exactly in form.....

Gordon Barlow May 22nd 2015 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11653583)

Well, but it is a Test match, and these fellows were selected as Test players. With all the limited-over stuff around these days, we have to make allowances for slow starters.

Hawkmoon77 May 22nd 2015 8:52 pm

...oops.

Broad seems to be past it. At the grand old age of 28 :(

Wood had some wheels on him, shame it's on a slow wicket. Now if only they had picked a certain Yorkshire leg spinner....

Oink May 25th 2015 2:58 pm

This has been a rather pleasant morning. Lets hope they can knock them over after tea.

Hawkmoon77 May 25th 2015 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11656036)
This has been a rather pleasant morning. Lets hope they can knock them over after tea.

I think that without the 2nd new ball and no frontline spinner that it's a tough ask.

Trevor Bayliss to be new coach ? Glad that Dizzy is staying wi' Yorks:thumbup:

Oink May 25th 2015 4:21 pm

Get in! :thumbup:

Hawkmoon77 May 25th 2015 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11656042)
I think that without the 2nd new ball and no frontline spinner that it's a tough ask.

Trevor Bayliss to be new coach ? Glad that Dizzy is staying wi' Yorks:thumbup:

What do I know ?

Well played, to both teams, that was a gem of a test, played in the right spirit.

Pizzawheel May 25th 2015 5:21 pm

Absolute tribute to the best game in the world.

johnehsmith May 26th 2015 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11656157)
Absolute tribute to the best game in the world.

Where can I watch or listen to the game this summer?

I used to use willow.tv but they dont seem to have the England matches, just IPL etc.

TMS is not available online, neither the ECB youtube channel.

Any ideas?

Oink May 26th 2015 4:13 am

Originally Posted by johnehsmith (Post 11656574)
Where can I watch or listen to the game this summer?

I used to use willow.tv but they dont seem to have the England matches, just IPL etc.

TMS is not available online, neither the ECB youtube channel.

Any ideas?

Sports streaming sites where you can watch Sky, various VPN's or browser extensions like Mediahint where you can probably listen to TMS.

Hawkmoon77 May 26th 2015 3:12 pm

Trevor Bayliss as new coach - will he be providing us all with wind up radios to follow TMS ? :)

(Yes I know, the inventor is only one s )

The word is he's been appointed over Dizzy due to his one day record. Fine, but don't screw up the test team.....

Oink May 26th 2015 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11657085)
Trevor Bayliss as new coach - will he be providing us all with wind up radios to follow TMS ? :)

(Yes I know, the inventor is only one s )

The word is he's been appointed over Dizzy due to his one day record. Fine, but don't screw up the test team.....

Would you give Lyth another chance? What about Bell?

Hawkmoon77 May 26th 2015 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11657091)
Would you give Lyth another chance? What about Bell?

You have to give Lyth another chance - if we are back to one test caps, that would be a dangerous backward step. Trott got 3 tests and it was pretty obvious he was shot. (Annoying that Lyth wasn't capped in Windies, but there you go).

As for Bell - he's averaging 30 odd since Ashes (English) summer of 2013. That's a pretty long term decline for a player of his ability. I don't really want to jig the batting again, but Bell is a weak link at the moment. I'd bring in someone like Roy, Vince or Taylor. The young guns are starting to fire for Eng and Bell's 2 drops in the slips nearly cost us the last test.

Moeen had a pretty good test, but I'm still not convinced he is the best choice for spinning allrounder. Nice catch to finish though.

Oink May 26th 2015 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11657103)
You have to give Lyth another chance - if we are back to one test caps, that would be a dangerous backward step. Trott got 3 tests and it was pretty obvious he was shot. (Annoying that Lyth wasn't capped in Windies, but there you go).

As for Bell - he's averaging 30 odd since Ashes (English) summer of 2013. That's a pretty long term decline for a player of his ability. I don't really want to jig the batting again, but Bell is a weak link at the moment. I'd bring in someone like Roy, Vince or Taylor. The young guns are starting to fire for Eng and Bell's 2 drops in the slips nearly cost us the last test.

Moeen had a pretty good test, but I'm still not convinced he is the best choice for spinning allrounder. Nice catch to finish though.

I agree, give him another chance. I'd drop Bell but keep Ali as I thought he bowled pretty well at Lords. I thought Wood looked okay.

Pizzawheel May 27th 2015 12:11 pm

I think Moeen is the best choice for spinning allrounder- I do wonder whether we should have a dedicated spinner in the team as well, ideally a leggy/ lefty to give an alternative option.

Due disclosure: As one of British Expats (Canada Branch) finest legspinners named after a culinary implement, I may be biased.