British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Cricket (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cricket-827097/)

Oink Feb 28th 2014 2:06 pm

Cricket

If you want to something to take your mind off the mind numbing cold (as I gather) and as a relief from all that winter sports bollocks, England are playing the WI in an ODI in Antigua. We'll have a chance as we're playing the WI. Depending on the outcome I might have couple of Jamaican patties for lunch. :thumb up:

A stream

JonboyE Feb 28th 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Cricket

At least in a ODI we can't lose by more than an innings.

Hawkmoon77 Feb 28th 2014 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11152396)
At least in a ODI we can't lose by more than an innings.

I remember Somerset declaring after one over in the old B&H competition. Some jiggery pokery to get a more favourable tie in the next round IIRC.

Anyway.... Eng spinners doing well, Jordan having an off day.

Hawkmoon77 Feb 28th 2014 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11152262)
If you want to something to take your mind off the mind numbing cold (as I gather) and as a relief from all that winter sports bollocks, England are playing the WI in an ODI in Antigua. We'll have a chance as we're playing the WI. Depending on the outcome I might have couple of Jamaican patties for lunch. :thumb up:

A stream

So was it Jamaican patty time, or did that latest poor effort drive you to drink ?:confused:

Gordon Barlow Mar 1st 2014 12:48 am

I come in peace... (writing from the Cayman Islands, British West Indies)

How in God's name could England lose from such a strong position? The best thing the England cricket team could do to secure its future might be to give Sammy a job over there and a UK Passport. He does what Pietersen was supposed to do!

Oink Mar 1st 2014 3:48 am

England is rubbish.

BristolUK Mar 1st 2014 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11153095)
England is rubbish.

Beaten by the Women's Institute? Whatever next?

Oink Mar 5th 2014 2:45 pm

We're back at it again, it'll be rubbish but even as rubbish its a million times more exciting than that icing hockey crap.

Another stream

Hawkmoon77 Mar 5th 2014 2:48 pm

...or one could just follow the more enthralling denouement of the SA vs Aus test, with the added bonus of not watching Eng fluff their lines for the umpteenth time.;)

Oink Mar 5th 2014 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11159570)
...or one could just follow the more enthralling denouement of the SA vs Aus test, with the added bonus of not watching Eng fluff their lines for the umpteenth time.;)

Its over and at least there's Bumble.

Hawkmoon77 Mar 5th 2014 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11159579)
Its over.

Great finish, though ! Bad luck SA

Oink May 22nd 2014 5:22 pm

We have sometime before the football World Cup so why not watch some cricket. England are playing Sri Lanka in a ODI. SL have a target of 259 to get. Run chase is on now.

Link

Hawkmoon77 May 22nd 2014 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11271954)
We have sometime before the football World Cup so why not watch some cricket. England are playing Sri Lanka in a ODI. SL have a target of 259 to get. Run chase is on now.

Link

Thanks Oink.

Good start from Jimmy, striking with his fifth delivery.

What do you reckon to Jordan's cameo ? A touch of the Darren Sammy....

Oink May 22nd 2014 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11271988)
Thanks Oink.

I have a posh new 42" tv in my office courtesy of Best Buy's Victoria Day sale so I won't have monopolize the boardroom when World Cup is on. It's coming in handy for the cricket too. :thumbup: Although I wished I lived int he old days when drinking in the morning at work wasn't bad for you. :thumbdown:

Oink May 22nd 2014 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11271988)
Thanks Oink.

Ooh, thats two down now and to quote Nasser "and its the big man." :thumbup:

Hawkmoon77 May 22nd 2014 6:01 pm

Wish the Sri Lankan chap in our office was not on leave right now. Only other person at work who understands the game...

Oink May 22nd 2014 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11272012)
Wish the Sri Lankan chap in our office was not on leave right now. Only other person at work who understands the game...

I got no one even remotely interested here. Its weird because they moan to buggery about football not having enough scoring but won't even entertain a cricket match. That said, all their sports are shit anyway so I'm not interested in them either. So naff em all.

Hawkmoon77 May 22nd 2014 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11272017)
I got no one even remotely interested here. Its weird because they moan to buggery about football not having enough scoring but won't even entertain a cricket match. That said, all their sports are shit anyway so I'm not interested in them either. So naff em all.

:goodpost: Amen to that :thumbup:

Gordon Barlow May 22nd 2014 6:37 pm

What, you don't even like curling? All that exciting stuff with the brooms? There's really no pleasing some people!

Oink May 22nd 2014 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 11272044)
What, you don't even like curling? All that exciting stuff with the brooms? There's really no pleasing some people!

I work mainly with Yanks not Canuckleheads.

Oink May 22nd 2014 7:04 pm

Woo hoo, back on.

Hawkmoon77 May 22nd 2014 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11272064)
Woo hoo, back on.

...and a wicket for that man Jordan to boot.

Hurrah !

Oink May 22nd 2014 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11272071)
...and a wicket for that man Jordan to boot.

Hurrah !

:thumbup:

Hawkmoon77 May 22nd 2014 8:25 pm

Nice start to the ODI series.

So remind me again why we took Tremlett Rankin and Finn down under, ahead of Jordan....

Oink Jun 3rd 2014 1:59 pm

If anybody else thinks they'll have naff all to do this morning other than drink tea and eat all the office biscuits, England are playing Sri Lanka in the deciding ODI at Edgbaston. Bets are on whether they''' finish before it starts pissing down and they all go out for a balti or Nick Knight's annoying voice and analysis makes me put my phone through my posh new telly. :(

Some streams

Hawkmoon77 Jun 3rd 2014 2:40 pm

I was looking forward to listening to a few hours of Yorks vs Nothants this morning, but I see we polished them off too quickly.
Guess it will have to be Eng instead. Be nice to see another Buttler special....

Hawkmoon77 Jun 3rd 2014 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11286585)
If anybody else thinks they'll have naff all to do this morning other than drink tea and eat all the office biscuits, England are playing Sri Lanka in the deciding ODI at Edgbaston. Bets are on whether they''' finish before it starts pissing down and they all go out for a balti or Nick Knight's annoying voice and analysis makes me put my phone through my posh new telly. :(

Some streams

Eng making a right cods of this :(

Oink Jun 3rd 2014 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11286689)
Eng making a right cods of this :(

Playing against a bunch of cheaty knickers. :thumbdown:

Hawkmoon77 Jun 3rd 2014 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11286739)
Playing against a bunch of cheaty knickers. :thumbdown:

If JB was warned then technically he only has himself to blame.

That said, I don't like seeing this - Collingwood claiming the wicket vs NZ after a collision with a bowler was bad form on our part a few years ago.

It's just not cricket.

Oink Jun 3rd 2014 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77 (Post 11286830)
If JB was warned then technically he only has himself to blame.

That said, I don't like seeing this - Collingwood claiming the wicket vs NZ after a collision with a bowler was bad form on our part a few years ago.

It's just not cricket.

We better get a few of the naffers out soonish. :(

Oakvillian Jun 3rd 2014 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11286849)
We better get a few of the naffers out soonish. :(

things are looking a bit more promising... well, I say looking, I don't know what they look like, but the BBC text commentary is a bit more encouraging than it was at lunchtime.

Oink Jun 3rd 2014 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11286947)
things are looking a bit more promising... well, I say looking, I don't know what they look like, but the BBC text commentary is a bit more encouraging than it was at lunchtime.

I think the critical phrase there is, a bit more. :(

Oink Jun 3rd 2014 9:13 pm

Hmm, what a load of shite.

Hawkmoon77 Jun 3rd 2014 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11287105)
Hmm, what a load of shite.

Remember Oink, this is the dawn of a "new era", so it must be a new kind of shite.

It just looks the same to untutored viewers like ourselves :thumbdown:

Roll on the Test series.

Gordon Barlow Jun 3rd 2014 9:52 pm

I think a batsman is a prat, if he takes advantage of two warnings and still tries to cheat by leaving the crease early. Silly bugger. Serves him right.

Oink Jun 12th 2014 12:25 pm

I realize everyone is gripped with World Cup fever but to fill the gaps between games England are playing their first summer test against Sri Lanka today. At lunch on day one, England are 98 for 3.

Here are some streams if you care to have a watch.

Streams

Flogger Jun 12th 2014 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11299416)
I realize everyone is gripped with World Cup fever but to fill the gaps between games England are playing their first summer test against Sri Lanka today. At lunch on day one, England are 98 for 3.

Here are some streams if you care to have a watch.

Streams

Better session for England. Still need to play well after tea

Oink Jun 12th 2014 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 11299642)
Better session for England. Still need to play well after tea

Much better. A strong evening session and it'll set the game nicely for watching the Brazil v Croatia match. :thumbup:

Oakvillian Jun 12th 2014 5:30 pm

Nice partnership from Root & Prior. Ton-up for Joe Root and a solid half from Matt Prior should boost confidence and steady nerves a little. From the text commentary the Sri Lankan attack seems to have been a bit lacklustre, though. I know it's Lord's, but is the pitch really that benign?

Oink Jun 12th 2014 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11299824)
Nice partnership from Root & Prior. Ton-up for Joe Root and a solid half from Matt Prior should boost confidence and steady nerves a little. From the text commentary the Sri Lankan attack seems to have been a bit lacklustre, though. I know it's Lord's, but is the pitch really that benign?

It nipped about a bit in the morning but went dead after lunch. I think England will get more out of it. But it was a good knock from Rooty and Prior.